Anything better than dropbox?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by eagle22 • Apr 15, 2014.

1. eagle22

eagle22Active Member

Threads:
    I like the idea of DropBox, it makes life much easier when you need to save or store things. However, I have already ran out of space with my free account. If I have to I will start to pay for it but first I wanted to ask you guys if there are any other free alternatives that you know of? Thanks!

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I've used Microsoft OneDrive (previously named SkyDrive) for a long time. It has 7 GB of storage for free and the program it uses is very simple and has never has syncing issues for me. So I prefer OneDrive over DropBox and Google Drive.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    "Better" is a subjective term. People like different storage services for different reasons. So maybe what we should be talking about are good alternatives to dropbox. The following are free storage services are OK.

Box.com
    Wuala - offers only 5GB free space.
    Google Drive - 5GB.
    Sugar Sync - 5GB.

If you use them all, you get 20GB free storage.

4. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    We now have so many companies that are offering cloud storage. The one from Microsoft is offering up to 15 GB free of data storage and then the more you refer people to join the site, you get more free storage. So this is good considering the amount of money that you pay as subscription to this cloud computing stuff. I have the OneDrive free version of course.

5. megshoe

megshoeMember

Threads:
    I always used Google Drive in the past and never had an issue with it. I really liked the interface, but all my colleagues moved over to DropBox so that's been my standard for a while now. I don't think there's too much of a difference between the two, though DropBox might be slightly more convenient in terms of accessing it (on my mac anyway, it just has a little icon in the top bar). I think Google Drive/Docs is better for allowing more than one person to edit a document, though.

6. Sly14Cat

Sly14CatActive Member

Threads:
    Megaupload is pretty good. I use it whenever I'm not using Dropbox for something. They give you a lot of space and generally have pretty good download speeds and uptime. Dropbox is always my favourite though, I love how the program works for all operating systems, so I don't have to go to Windows just to sync a few files over, and I can just do it on Linux.

7. Richiee

RichieeNew Member

Threads:
    I am a Dropbox user as well but I also use different cloud storage companies because it makes me more efficient. I usually put the backups of my pictures on Google Drive while my important files are on OneDrive (I have it password protected of course).

For me, its better to mix and match different cloud storage sites than to use only one. Not only can we have more free space, but we can also segregate most of our files so that we can find them much easier. I also don't think that there is a cloud storage company whose better than its peers since I only use their free storage plan. However, I prefer companies who offer syncing directly to my computer like Dropbox, OneDrive, and Mediafire. I haven't checked yet if Google Drive also has this syncing ability and I might check it later today.

To sum up, some of the storage companies that I use are:

MEGA
    Google Drive

PS. I posted my referral links above, in case anyone wants to join under me. Thanks!

8. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Well I can't really say that this one is 'better' but I've used SkyDrive for pretty much everything I've been doing when it comes to cloud storage. Another free service that I've been using is Mediafire, although is not the same as Dropbox or Skydrive, it has a lot of storage space for a free service and uploading files is really easy. Also, Google Drive is pretty good although I don't use it that much compared to Mediafire.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have tried to find something better than Dropbox just because my 50 gb that they gave me are pretty much full, but sadly nothing comes even close to giving you 50gb for free.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I like Mega because they give you a good amount of storage space without having to jump through hoops. The only downside is that they aren't as integrated with other apps like Dropbox is because they are less popular. Also, there doesn't seem to be a feature that allows you to play videos directly on the site so you'd probably need to download them first, but I guess it's good enough for just simple storage.

11. megadelayed

megadelayedMember

Threads:
    If you want a large online cloud storage to hold all your photos, music, films etc. that are not very important or personal, I suggest you try using one of the Chinese Cloud services. There is this one called Baidu Yun which I use and that gives you 2TB free space, and I have heard that there are others that give you more.