Apple store

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by Peninha • Jul 4, 2014.

1. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've seen quite a few Mac computers and one thing has been puzzling me: why don't many of the Mac computer allow other apps to run, I mean, they come with a predefined option to allow apps only bought on Apple store and we need to go to the options and change that to allow all apps. This seems somewhat dishonest from them, why would they make the computers with this option by default?

2. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think one of the big things or core values of Apple is that they built the entire computer from scratch. They build the hard ware, they make all the software, and basically bring you a product that the built from the ground up. I think that the intention is that you as a user get the best quality services from Apple. They do not want to leave you hanging. They don't want you to go home and feel as if you spent your money on a bad product. So they go out of their way to make sure that everything that you get is directly from Apple and will be of the highest standards. And so it's no surprise to find that they would not want you to get apps from another supplier. That is my view and opinion of why they would do this.

3. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Eh, that does make some sense, but ultimately they don't presume to own all the software that a Mac user will want to use right? So why enable that option as predefined? For example, a friend wanted to install a statistics software called IBM SPSS Statistics and it simply would not run and not even tell why not, we had to figure out on our own...

4. jdwriter

jdwriterActive Member

Threads:
    You can run any app that is setup for the Mac environment from the internet or from any other place (CD, disk, other). The problem you might have been running into is security settings. You need to allow outside apps to run. After you select this, you would simply type in your password for the admin and there you go. Most of my apps are not from the App Store.

5. Peninha

PeninhaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, I already learned that jdwriter, the thing is I learned it the hard way, I need to spend time and ask around and I really see no necessity for this. If we want to run an app we should be allowed to, we don't need some security setting to forbid us to do that when most of us don't even know in the first place that the setting does exist.