Are "all-natural" foods always worth the price?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Vicvillon • Nov 24, 2013.

1. Vicvillon

VicvillonNew Member

Threads:
    I think so, if only in the long run. It's pretty obvious that many aging people in our society are quickly being completely bombarded with various health problems. I would think it would have to do with a couple of factors, such as our best friend High Fructose Corn Syrup, and all of the other non-natural items that are in the food we eat today.

And this will likely lead to thousands in hospital bills later in life. :(

2. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the product. TO be honest though, if you are eating fruits and veggies, you are fine, regardless if they are organic or not.

3. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Yeah, it depends on the product. Try to find reviews of what you buy before completing the purchase, because there is a lot of bad people out there trying to sell you pills with nothing for high prices.

4. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    not always. the unfortunate thing with "natural or trendy type foods is that there arent many strict regulations to putting certain labels on food. For example i saw once that in order to call your beef "natural, grass fed beef" you only have to feed it grass one time...

thats very misleading and you know they command a premium for it

5. downloadsincomplete

downloadsincompleteMember

Threads:
    It depends on the food. Fresh fruits and vegetables are obviously much better than pre-packaged and processed "fruits".

But just because something is "all-natural" and free of high-fructose corn syrup, doesn't mean it's always the healthier option. All natural foods can still be high in sodium and fat, and HFCS-free items can still have a lot of sugar. Always be sure to check the labels. Even if you don't know what you're looking at, at least compare the numbers and see what stands out and by how much.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on what you mean by "all natural". If you mean whole foods.. direct from garden to plate etc, then yes, of course it's worth it. If you mean a packaged food with ingredients that are actual foods on the list, well, after processing, they aren't what they used to be and I wouldn't dare call them all natural. You may as well be eating any other package from a grocery store. I'm sure some are better than others, but the nutritional value is no better. Even the nutrition info on the package is a lie for the most part.. they have some sneaky ways of getting "nutrients" in there.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Companies use many marketing terms to go around technicalities like "low fat" or "low calorie" which are entirely different from "fat free" or any other variation they've come up with through the decades of selling us stuff, so I would assume that "all natural" is also just another variation of this method. That said, some of them tend to be accurate, but you'd still have to do your research to find which one. I think the only way you could really be sure of how natural your food is, is to plant and make as much of the ingredients yourself or at least do as much research as you can on the product you plan on buying regularly.

8. caparica007

caparica007Banned

Threads:
    I can't agree with this, it's a totally different thing to use bio products or regular ones, bio products have no pesticides, they are way healthier than all others...

9. themarting

themartingActive Member

Threads:
    And the only way to guarantee that no pesticides were used is to plant and harvest the food yourself.

Farmers know that "all natural" food buffs will pay a premium for their food. How hard do you think it would be to just SAY you didn't use pesticides when you actually did.

I can also guarantee most people cant tell the difference between a grocery store fruit or vegetable and an "all natural locally grown" option in a blind taste test

10. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    "All-natural" foods are not always worth the extra expense. This reality is true about

too.

When food shopping, cross check the ingredients of the "all-natural" edible you want to purchase with the one that's not. Is their a difference? If not (or not much), pass on the "all-natural" one. This process alone helps you see if what you are about to pay is smart.

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can definitely taste the difference. I had a co-worker who didn't even want to try organic food because she didn't want to get used to the food tasting good. :confused: I live in California so it's a bit easier to get quality fruits and vegetables at a decent price if you know where to shop.

Also organic isn't about taste, it's about pesticide exposure.

I also buy the organic version of the foods that are listed on the FDA dirty dozen list. It's a yearly list of the most "dirty" fruits and vegetables, the ones that are exposed to the most pesticides.

12. nhsososo4

nhsososo4Member

Threads:
    It depends but in all fairness i doubt, for me personally they are not. Some of the most natural foods are not expensive and yet they provide you with all the wholesome goodness. For example fruits and fresh veggies they are the most cheapest product on the market and are always on sale to top it off. What companies do, they put tags and labels on food such as high fibre food, organic apples, 1st grade just to have a way of making something more expensive. And my question is if something is all natural why does it have to be expensive, as there was no post processing and all that was involved. Hence i feel the so-called all natural is not really natural, but just a way of increasing prices and playing with consumers minds.

13. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:

Oh, I disagree lol. I can tell the difference in all of my food. BIG time. Grocery store foods are a mess. But I do agree that most can just say they don't use pesticides and most people wouldn't notice the difference. That's why I buy directly from the farmers I trust. Grocery stores are as bad as the big food corps it sells for.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Not really, because my senior citizen relatives don't really buy all-natural food, they just live healthy lives with no vices and they pay attention to their diet, and all of them until now have no serious health problems whatsoever.