Are appliance usage estimates accurate?

Discussion in Gas & Electricity started by Amanda K • Sep 14, 2014.

1. Amanda K

Amanda KActive Member

Threads:
    Hi, everyone. I was just wondering if anyone had kept records to see if the estimated electrical usage on their appliances was accurate. We just purchased a portable clothes dryer. It's really small, and claimed to use little electricity. Regrettably, I threw away the estimate. Our electric bill has been really high, but temperatures have consistently been above ninety degrees here for the last two months, so we've run the air conditioner heavily. I am a terrible record keeper when it comes to appliances. Has anyone compared the actual electricity usage of an appliance against the usage projected by the manufacturer?

2. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    In a laboratory, with perfect conditions and the all appliances are new and well maintained, then those numbers are close. In real life applications where weather and units need maintenance, there is going to be a variance there. Take those numbers as a guideline but add another 10-20 percent variance because those posted numbers are average and factory specs. always assume the wore possible scenerio, and budget accordingly.