Are cat toys necessary??

Discussion in Pets started by JosieP • Dec 23, 2013.

1. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We always buy our cats these itty bitty mice.. they freak out everyone that Sees them, they look that real lol. Otherwise though, nothing gets these cats going like pipe cleaners or twist ties! And boxes.. hours of fun. My kids continuously buy them toys, thinking if it has more feathers or has more squeak or more rattle, maybe they'll get played with. But nope. The cats are quite happy chasing pipe cleaners and twist ties and I'm happy letting them lol.. holy cheap! I was worried about chewing, because of the wire inside, but we've had them for three years now and they still just play with them.. no chewing. They'll even play with them off on their own.. throwing it so they can chase or catch it, it's hilarious. You'd think they had opposible thumbs.

What about your cats? Do they care about toys or are they the type to rather the box the toy came in? :p

2. yambfas

yambfasMember

Threads:
    I agree - I think cats like to play with things that can be found around the home. I also have found that catnip toys really don't have much of an effect on them. We've gotten bags of dried catnip that the cats react to, so I know they react to catnip, but I just don't think there's enough of it in those toys. However, the little catnip sacks (they kind of look like an old-fashioned bag of potatoes or something) are pretty good and last awhile. Also the cat dancers (is that what they're called - the long wires) are enjoyed by most of the cats I've known. My younger cat likes the little toy mice, but would probably be just as happy if it was a balled up piece of paper:) And strangely I've found that both of my cats are more playful when they visit their "grandparents" (my parent's house) than at home. I have a basket of toys at home that they barely touch, but they go to my parents' house and start digging through their toys:)

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think cat toys are absolutely necessary. My cat plays with paper bags, strings, boxes and even a laser pointer. Cats will play with almost anything and it's not really necessary to buy special cat toys for them.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never bought toys for my cat yet, because he seems to be content playing with the things that can be found in the house, like crumpled paper or plastic, a piece of string, etc. So I also don't think that buying cat toys is necessary.

5. ladybug

ladybugMember

Threads:
    I think pet toys are an absolute must have for pets, plus they offer a great variety in the major pet stores now. Toys not only entertain your pet, but I think they help your pet to get plenty of exercise also. I have a cat that's a little over a year and half old now and he keeps me pretty entertained when he's playing with his toys and I also enjoy playing with him. I think pets enjoy interacting with their families as much as we enjoy playing with them. Like other pet owner's here, though, my cat also loves boxes and I keep an empty box around just for him! ;)

#5Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Cats toys aren't necessary. If your cats are having then there's no reason to buy toys. Anything you can find in the house will work as long as the cats love them be it a feather, cardboard boxes, or even its own furball. It's only a waste of money if the cats don't love the toys you buy them.

7. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    It depends on whether your cat plays with toys or not. If your cat likes to play around and scratch stuff and whatnot then yes I think they are necessary. They still like to have fun and experiment with things like dogs do.

8. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    yes, I'm inclined to agree with you! Not that some toys are not great for cats - I bought this flying bird toy that my mom's cats go crazy about! That being said, they love getting inside boxes, making a mess out of toilet paper, jumping from one place to the other and chasing bugs. Those are the things they like the most, not the silly balls and mouses that we insist in buying for them!

9. Carles

CarlesMember

Threads:
    My cat will play with her toy mice, she's even ripped a couple of them open, but that's most likely because they have catnip in them. My cat tends to like marbles, if she hear a marble rolling across the floor, she will come running.