Are Checks Going Out of Style?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by Adeal4u • Aug 13, 2012.

1. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    Is it just me or does it seem like checks are becoming extinct? I haven't used a check in forever, if I'm not mistaken I've only used one in my whole life. I know a lot of online payments such as Paypal don't offer a check option. Even when I go to the grocery store I rarely see anyone pay with a check. Do you still use checks? If so, will you ever stop using them, and just use cash or credit/debit cards?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still have checks, but they are locked in my footlocker. I haven't written a check in years. There was a woman who wrote a check at the grocery store. I was so shocked to see it. It rare to see anyone writing a check. At least in Southern California.

3. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    I still have checks, but I haven't used them in years either. I do think eventually they will become extinct and end up in the graveyard with the pay phone and Walkman. With the electronic checks, you really don't need checks now. Use the day's date for the number, tell them the account number and your done.

4. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    Debit cards are much better than checks, you can get your money a lot faster !

5. nash22

nash22Active Member

Threads:
    Yeah they are! It's much faster for me to use my debit card. My mom used to order checks all the time. But now she just uses her debit card. And I think using debit card is much safer, because anyone can steal your checks and just go on a spending spree.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The debit card is more convenient than a check. When you are at a store and want to write a check you have to be approved, show identification, when you use a debit card it is quicker to get the approval and go on your way.

7. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    They are not going out of style. They ARE out of style. The only time checks are used is in Hollywood when a studio gives an actor or director their sum of money for doing a movie. It's a large sum of money, so they can't really just "paypal" it. Especially considering most actors don't even know what paypal is probably. Really rich people will write checks every now and then but with check fraud and bouncing, it's a risky business these days. In fact, when people get large sums of money from the lottery or in a contest. Normally, they're sent a debit card with the winnings on it. The check is just a factotem to hold up for video and pictures of the lucky lottery "winner".

8. ljepilo

ljepiloActive Member

Threads:
    Debit card is actually the best way to pay for stuff,to receive money & a lot more. I have VISA electron ,and I'm satisfied with it :)

9. Jennifer

JenniferActive Member

Threads:
    Checks are definitely outdated. My husband's business used to receive mostly checks through the post as means of payment. Now you won't find even one check in the post as most people make payments by means of electronic transfers and that is how he pays his creditors as well.

I also find it far more convenient paying with a debit card. I often used to forget about the checks that I had written out or someone would cash it only a month or so later which resulted in me nearly always having heart attackevery timeme I checked my bank balance. Now at least with a debit card the amount is deducted immediately.

10. koko

kokoBanned

Threads:
    Wow I can't even remember the last time I actually wrote a check. I hate physically writing ANYTHING anymore, I do everything online. I like to look at it as I am saving a tree by doing this :) Even food stamps have migrated from paper to card, as well as the money aid from states.

11. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I have never used checks to pay with before. It somehow seems alien to me. I do remember my mom often paying with checks...but I must admit that for me, most banking is electronic, even having paper money on me feels old-school, somehow. Not that I mind (-:

12. addicted_buyer

addicted_buyerExpert

Threads:
    I think they are. I haven't paid anything with a check for years and I haven't seen anyone do it either. With debit and credit cards, it's all much easier and much safer IMO.

13. FlipKup

FlipKupMember

Threads:
    They are going out of style...

With the dawn of on-line payments and credit cards, cheques just seem so out-of-date. Recently too, the security has been upped on on-line transactions making them almost, if not just as secure as signing of a cheque was in the past. You can't go wrong with on-line banking!

14. erkan_orer

erkan_orerNew Member

Threads:
    I think checks are definatly going out of style everyone uses electronic money transfer now its a much quicker and easier way to send/receive money instead of taking days for a check to clear you can send the money electronically and it can be in your account within hours or minutes.

15. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    And reading all of this makes me think that if the system ever fully 'crashes' in this country. We are all gonna be in trouble financially with no computer or electronic device access. As it seems a lot of people's money is tied up in electronic-involved devices like cards and online/electronic accounts. Only the people who have lots of cash money stashed in an in-hime safe, under the floorboards, or in a safe box with a padlock on it will be able to survive. Atleast for a few weeks.;)

16. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, check are becoming obsolete. Most people use debit cards because they are more efficient and safer than checks. Checks can bounce, while debt cards cannot. Plus, you have to pay for checks and wait from them to come in the mail. I don't miss checks at all. Online banking is so much more convenient.

17. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I haven't written a check in years either. I don't even have any checks lol! I can actually even get away with not having a bank account here if I really wanted to, but it would cost a little more to cash checks I get at Walmart of check cashing places. I prefer to pay cash for things. The money is there in hand and not pending coming out of an account. It is not on a credit card for somebody to steal my card number and charge my account up either. Cash works well for me!

18. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Right now I rent a place from relatives and pay in cash, but I want to move to a real building where things are actually repaired and maintained and relatives don't randomly drop by.
    So, for a real, professional building run by a management company should I get a book of checks for my checking account or do apartment buildings let tenants pay electronically now?

19. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I always pay my rent in cash. That way, no landlord can say I didn't pay. Even if I will be short on cash in a particular week. I ALWAYS put aside cash for my rent. I don't trust people very much. And a bank transfer or electronic payment, while most of the times they do go through. People (particularly landlords), can always lie and say that they didn't. And take you to court so they can throw you out. I've seen it happen to a few friends before. Landlords want to raise their rents, so they try to get certain tenants evicted based on false grounds. So if I count the cash for rent, and pay it in cash to the landlords hands. I will KNOW that he got the rent money. And there's no out for him in that regard if he tries to pull one over.

20. trendchaser

trendchaserMember

Threads:
    Not really I would say. They are required for some important transactions. Share dividends are paid out via cheques. Also it is also very secure form of payment crossed ones.