Are children just terrified of the dark now?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by Esperahol • Jul 11, 2012.

1. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    Because everytime I turn around there seems to be a new toy or accessory that is just to help children deal with the dark or not be afraid of the dark or fights an epic battle with the forces of darkness. I know ideas come in batches, but there really seem to be alot of the things around.

2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I can't speak for the kids because I am past that age but I think it's probably more of a marketing thing - unless parents are teaching their kids that there is something to be scared of in the dark and I'm pretty sure they aren't just to ensure their own peace and quiet at night instead of having their child crawling into bed with them until they're 12 or something. Maybe just timing on behalf of the marketing segments of the producers.

3. cards538

cards538New Member

Threads:
    This is a funny post but also a post with a good point. They've came out with the Stuffed Animals that project stars on the ceiling, Pillow Pets, and countless other things. I never really was afraid of the dark unless I had just watched a scary movie. I think kids are becoming more and more spoiled (and I'm not trying to sound like I'm complaining about society or anything) and that my play a role in why more toys or accessories are directed at kids scared in the dark. You also have to remember that these things are appealing to parents because it means their child will bug them less and the parents will be able to sleep more.

4. writer811

writer811Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't buy my children any of those "afraid of the dark" toys. If they work by lighting up an otherwise dark room, then it's interfering with their sleep. Your brain produces hormones to help you get a restful sleep and the presence of light inhibits production of these chemicals, leading to restless sleep. It's also why I don't use nightlights. If children are afraid of the dark, you need to help them work past that fear, not go for the quick fix.

5. AvalonX

AvalonXBanned

Threads:
    My kids are afraid of the dark . I have to use nightlights but live in a rural areas so without street lights it is absolutely black in the house and I have stairs. From that point of view I like some of these things that are advertised.

6. j_pin

j_pinActive Member

Threads:
    Haha! I would say almost every kid goes through some period of time where they are afraid of the dark, so yeah it is a pretty big market for products. I remember when I was young there was probably 3 solid years where I as terrified of the dark.

7. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    I was never afraid of the dark but it does seem that more kids today might actually be. No one would make these products unless they thought that they could sell them. But they could have just artificially created a market for them.

8. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    Oddly enough, my nephew doesn't seem to be afraid of the dark.

But I can see how children can be scared of it. The dark represents the unknown. And the unknown usually makes us cautious and fearful.

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Both of my daughters went through a phase of being afraid of the dark. My younger daughter is still a little scared of the dark too, but I am hoping she gets over this soon. It is not too bad tho, if she has a nightmare she comes into our bed but otherwise she sleeps through the night without any lights blinking. But the again she keeps seeing the commercials for all these new things and now is afraid of the dark, she may just want to show why we should get them for her. I won't get any of these toys tho, I don't want to mess with their sleep.

10. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think that children are any more afraid of the dark than they have been in the past. However, being afraid of the dark has been something children have tried to cope with for quite some time, and since nearly every child goes through that phase, it's smart marketing to keep coming out with products to ease the symptoms.

11. Waynefire

WaynefireActive Member

Threads:
    The most I have for my kids is a flashlight in their rooms because they like to read. Then they also have the standard night light which is similar to what I had growing up. That is mainly so they do not step on toys when they get up and did not pick up their rooms during the day. Other then that I have to admit I am starting to wonder if they are trying to breed a group which cannot cope with the dark.

12. Magic Pixel

Magic PixelMember

Threads:
    I don't know whether children need that kind of thing to keep them in the same place with any fear. Maybe these products are good for parents who want to help their child overcome their fear. It's a sensitive reason after all.

13. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    I think the night lights etc are actually for the adults but they only have the balls to buy it when it is labelled for children. If they are not afraid of the dark...they should be. Just kidding actually. I think most kids go through a phase, I worked with children as a therapist and teacher for a number of years...and to be fair, many are going through hardships now like being medicated for everything, even the dark...that yeah, maybe they just need a bit of real light in their lives.

Plus, one tends to think that there may very well be ghouls in the dark. Best light the sh!t out of them. Just saying...

14. ssamcd

ssamcdMember

Threads:
    I would leave a bit of light off the kitchen that would still be on so they could see it. I also would leave a bit of light at night in the bathroom for when they got up to go to the bathroom. I think kids all go through this stage. You just need to talk with them and make them feel safe. Also telling kids the boogie man is going to get them can also make them feel scared at night. It is important to assure children they are safe at home and teach them the dangers of strangers outside of the home.

15. jovan107

jovan107Active Member

Threads:
    I cannot speak for other kids, but my nieces and nephews are not afraid of the dark. When I was younger I always slept with a night light because I was afraid of the dark. I think companies that cater to the younger population are always competing to create the best of the same product (idea). There are tons of products available for children who are afraid of the dark. Sometimes I find some of them hard to believe.

16. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    It's just another way to make a buck off a fear some children have. Then once a nightlight turns into something fun, all children want it. Or at least thats how I perceive it.

17. kayhill

kayhillNew Member

Threads:
    I'm sorry OP, but I had to chuckle when I read the title. I don't think that kids are more afraid of the dark now than when I was a child(I'm in my 30's). I admit, I have been tempted to purchase something so I can see at night when I have to make those late night trips to the bathroom. My husband complains because I turn on two lights to get to the bathroom:rolleyes:. If the light comforts the child and allows the parents to get some rest, I don't think it is a bad idea.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Kids have been scared of the dark for generations now. There've just been different techniques for dealing with it. Currently, marketers are preying on it and coming up with new toys to "fix it" but it's really nothing new.

19. melissa

melissaMember

Threads:
    I was afraid when I was little.....but I was more afraid of nightlights lol

20. Mama2three

Mama2threeMember

Threads:
    My kids aren't afraid of the dark, but we do use a nightlight in their room and one in the bathroom so they can see when they wake up to potty at night. The nightlights give off just enough light that they aren't bumping into anything, and much less disrupting than them turning on lights in the middle of the night. Our 3 year old son will occasionally get a bottle of water from the kitchen in the middle of the night also, so we have the light above our stove on at night well. If someone were to peer in our house at night, they'd probably think we were scared of the dark, but I prefer having a little light if I or my children need to get up at night.