Are computer games expensive?

Discussion in Software PC & Mac started by Gelsemium • Mar 12, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Computer games these days can be expensive, so if we are short on money nothing like buying those games we can play over and over again until we become pro's at it instead of buying a game that just last a week or less. Do you do this or how do you save on buying computer games?

2. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That depends on whether you play videogames on consoles or the PC.
    If you have consoles then yes, gaming is an expensive hobby, but if you are a PC gamer then there are always constant sales for huge discounts.
    I rarely buy any PC game for discounts under 50% and I often find deals as high as 80% off.
    I can help guide you in this if you need any help.

3. Gelsemium

Threads:
    OK, so games for consoles are more expensive I am aware of that, and for pc are cheaper because they don't have the physical support right, you just download them from somewhere? Where do you find deals for 80% off? :eek:

4. Eagle910

Eagle910Active Member

Threads:
    I do not agree with that. In my experience computer games are extremely cheap. Most computer games cost between $15-25. As opposed to console games that cost $60. That is a drastic difference.j So i cannot complain about computer game prices.

5. pahagwl

pahagwlActive Member

Threads:
    In my opinion, games which release on PC are considerably cheaper in comparison to other platforms. This is due to the reason that a majority of gamers play on consoles rather than PC. And, PC games generally tend to get hugely discounted as they become older. Also, you can score great deals on PC games during steam sales.

6. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    New big titles are very expensive in my opinion. Some can be as much as a days pay for a low wage earner. I only buy about 2 per year maybe. Most of the games I play are free online games anyway so it doesn't affect me that much. I don't even own any consoles anymore.

7. crimsonghost747

crimsonghost747Active Member

Threads:
    New PC games are very expensive yes, especially since most of the major ones are nothing that special. I almost never buy a game when it comes out, I'd rather wait for a while since you are bound to get it cheaper after a couple of months. Steam is a great place to look for cheap games, they always have some discounts going on.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    $15-25 for a game is not extremely cheap, it's almost as much as I pay per month for my kid to pay football once a week! It's surely cheaper than a console game, but even so it's an expensive habit to maintain.

9. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I feel they are, yes. 60 bucks for a new game that's short and only takes a few hours to complete is a bit much. For games that require a lot of time to complete, like RPG's, Skyrim for example, the price is just right. If you read around you'll notice a trend where people buy more indie games than in the past since they are cheaper and provide good entertainment value for the money spent. In the end it does not matter really, we can wait a few months until the price drops or buy the games used online or offline.

10. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    Well that's just a matter of you not having gaming as a hobby.
    How many hours of training do you get for those 25$ of football? let's assume two hours a week so 8 hours a month, so 8 hours for 25$?
    I've bought plenty of games that last for 50+ hours and cost me much less than 25$. Heck, WoW costs 15$ a month and is available 24 hours a day.

As for where to find 80% off deals, around holidays just check Steam or Amazon, everything is at least 50% and everyday you get stuff up to 90% off.

11. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    PC gaming has a lot of inexpensive options now like indie and free to play games. There are even deals lower than the prices mentioned like LA Noire or GTA IV and SA for $6 on Steam right now. I think I bought Sleeping Dogs for $5 and indie bundles could cost less than that. Most of the games I have I bought were on sale or in some pack. Humble bundle, green man gaming, gog, Amazon always has some digital deal. But if you want to play the latest games on the highest settings then that's when it becomes more expensive than consoles, or if you play EA games. :p Then you have to be rich.

#11Mar 14, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2014
  12. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    PC games are free who is selling to you these things. Simply visit torrent sites and you will download all the games that you want. The only games that I download are the ones for gaming on a console those can be a bit tricky. But for PC is would advice you to visit torrent sites or even other sites which offer the games for free am sure the person selling them to you has obtained them for free.

13. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't recommend getting games on torrent sites. That a game is new and on sale doesn't mean that game will be great. There are many sites you can download old or newer games free and legally. Here are sites that could save you cash on games:

14. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    There is a big difference between buying something at a sale and doing something illegal like torrenting, you shouldn't give that advice.
    There are plentyu of ways to get great cheap games, there's no need for stealing them.

15. Gelsemium

Threads:
    That is true, torrents are illegal, technically it is stealing. Thank you so much for those links Denis, I'm going to check them out, I have entertainment for the evening! :D

16. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I've checked some gaming sites recently actually and I don't understand how they manage to do those promotions, they actually sell a bundle of games for $5.99 or $9.99 for example and in some other site they are selling just one of those games for $20?! What's the point in this??

17. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I realized the never ending sales for PC games have made me check different sites every day to make sure I never miss a good deal. It feels to cool to buy a game that's 80% off. It's like I'm always looking for a game to buy now, which is probably what they want.

18. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    No, PC gaming can be really cheap if you're patient enough. Don't spend full price on new games right away. PC games drop in prices very quick. If you buy on Steam, they have sales all the time like Humble Bundle or Black Friday. Those are the times where games are sold dirt cheap, you just need to wait for the right time.

19. Gelsemium

Threads:
    So this is probably it, bringing down the prices make it so cheap that people actually buy them more often and don't bother to look for the "free" illegal versions, possibly is not even worth the trouble of getting a pirated game when the legal ones are so cheap!

20. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    That's a good point also, if you get a pirated copy, t's just a big hassle, after you download you need a crack and if the game has a patch then you need another version of the crack, that's just in the case of you downloading a proper copy of the game and not a fake one.
    Why go through all this when you can get most games for under 5$ ?