Are Dogs Really Man's Best Friend?

Discussion in Pets started by ExpertAdvice • Sep 6, 2014.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    "Are dogs really man's best friend?" That's a question I've asked myself over and over--not because I've weighed any particular doubt on the matter, but it's just something that's been "food for thought" for me, because I've always heard that statement echoed as an unquestionable truth.

Based on my own observation, I'd have to say that naturally a dog is made with a character that seeks to please his master in every way, whether it be by serving as a guide dog to persons with disabilities, or just having some good ole romping fun with his master. Dogs are fun! playful! and generally friendly!

But what crosses your mind when you hear of stories like that of the 4-year-old little one who was mauled to death by a pitbull in Miami-Dade County?

Do you feel that these incidents are isolated and rare occurrences? and that they don't reflect the true nature of that dog, or of other dogs of the same breed? OR

Do you feel that certain breeds of dog shouldn't be bred anymore because although they can be trained, they will eventually "act out", according to their "volatile nature"?

Please let me know your thoughts!

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I read that Pit bulls are really gentle and loyal dogs, but depending on their master, will train them to be vicious if they intend to use them for dog fighting. They actually experience torture under the hands of their masters. More info here:

So I think a dog's temperament is really dependent on their environment, because I noticed that stray dogs and cats that have not experienced being owned are hostile or scared of people, while owned pets that happen to roam around like a stray aren't that afraid to strangers, but not all though.

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A dog can be man's best friend but deep down it's got savage instincts. Should it sense that it's life is in danger then quite obviously the dog will try to preserve itself. We had a dog which liked my old man. If anyone else approached it, it would start growling . . . such dogs are definitely not good to have in your home.

But dogs can also do some nice things. So despite the isolated incidents of dogs killing humans, most of them certainly are good friends.

4. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Exactly if an animal is vicious, it is the fault of other people. Every dog has a different personality so some can have an attitude but none would be vicious if they were trained right.
    There was a cat here that would run around and recently I heard that they killed another cat but it doesn't shock me because the cat was left by the owner. I don't think I would kill another creature but if my caretaker just dumped me to fend for myself I think I'd be pretty hostile too.

5. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Good point sidney! It all depends upon the will of each master huh? But do you think that certain TYPES of dogs have a greater predisposition to "do more damage" when they're trained to be vicious, then another type of dog, when trained to do the same thing?

What attracts persons to dogs that possibly have more of a potential to "act out" with a vicious attitude?

6. ExpertAdvice

Threads:
    Thanks Denis Hard, I agree with you. I love dogs very much, and own three of 'em, "Rotties" in fact, and they too have the potential to be vicious, but have been trained, so they don't show this side unless they feel threatened or that a stranger is around who might pose a certain danger to their master.

I actually love this quality in dogs, but I just find it unfortunate that when they act out sometimes "irrationally", sometimes innocent human beings get in the way.

But, at the same time, I do find it important that, for example, the parents of that poor 4-year-old who was mauled to death, actually keep a close eye on their children!
    That child who was killed, suffered his fate because his parents lost track of him, making him vulnerable not only to such an attack, but to possibly even being kidnapped by human beings.
    We, as human beings, need to acknowledge our responsibilities as well.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm more in favor of cats but I admit that dogs are much more of best friend material. As for the mauling incidents, I think we shouldn't blame the dogs because they are just doing what is natural to them. It is always the responsibility of the owner to figure out their dog and to give them proper training. Some seem to be harder to train than others though and in cases like these I think it's best to seek out professional help.

8. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Ah so that cat fought with another cat? I think it's more of a territorial thing rather than a survival thing. Because in my case, stray male cats would provoke my "peace-loving,-just-minding-my-own-business" cat out of the blue, like they would come to our garden and start to provoke him. A male cat even climbed on top of his cage when he was still being kept there! He fights back, but I always let loose our Jack Russell Terrier so that he can chase that trouble-making cat away whenever I hear fighting/hissing noises.

Yeah for sure, Pit bulls and Rottweilers would be more vicious than Labradors and Cocker Spaniels and Jack Russell Terriers. We have had those 3 dogs as pets and most of them are pretty docile, one dog seemed to not feel any pain and ignores my dad when he hits him if he doesn't want to go inside his cage. He runs happily away from him, avoiding him. My dad is a bit violent and he hits to discipline, even his children so he hits our dogs too. But when hits our former dog, a German Shepherd-Rottweiler mix, he growls at him. Must be from the vicious Rottweiler genes.

#8Sep 9, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2014