are ebooks and technology going to make paper and traditional books obsolete?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by messlisa • Jan 4, 2014.

1. messlisa

messlisaNew Member

Threads:
    I am an Author myself, and a vivid reader..I take advantage of the technology available to Author''s today, but it is also putting libraries and your local book stores in jeopardy...too much of a good thing can go sour...with the kindle...nook...tablets and phones these days...who wants to actually get up in-order to search for a book?...I prefer the traditional paper and hardcover books, but it seems most of the world doesn't share my opinion.

2. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The internet has been popular since the late 90's, and until now there are still lots of bookstores around, like Barnes And Noble is still in business, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. It's obvious that the demand for traditional books is still pretty large, although it has decreased due to the availability of ebooks.

3. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think ebooks are making paper books less popular. Maybe not obsolete, but I'm sure sales have gone down a lot since ebooks became more accessible and easier to find. Nowadays every book has an ebook version, whereas a few years ago very few did. I myself still prefer reading paper books, but find myself reading ebooks more every day. Even thought I love having the book in my hands, feeling it, holding it, the smell, ebooks have became so much easier and practical. it's a shame, but I do thing they took a huge place of regular books.

4. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I think traditional books that don't include photos might go away because of e-books. E-books are easier to transport with you than a bulky paper book. However, comic books, especially ones about Anime, will keep paper books alive for generations. These are the only types of reads I see young people (18 and under) toting around along with their tablets, iPods and other gizmos.

Attached Files:

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    IMO, owing to the fact the ebooks are much easier to share than traditional books, publishers [in future] will lean more towards aggressively marketing real paper in order to protect themselves from losing $$$$ [having their books shared on peer to peer networks, torrent sites and such]. Should paper books lose out and became obsolete then I'm sorry for all writers because they'll hardly make any money from the books they write.

6. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    As popular as ebooks are these day, I believe that paper books still have a long time to go. There is still demand for paper books and is a lot at that. There are still many old school people like me that prefers real books to digital books. The novelty of holding a book and the smell of freshly opened books is irreplaceable.