Are fastoil change companies as good as dealers?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by Spudfyre • Aug 28, 2012.

1. Spudfyre

SpudfyreNew Member

Threads:
    I typically use fast oil change places to get my oil changed. However, I've wondered what experiences people have had using fast oil changers versus their car dealer or local garage. I find the biggest advantage of a fast oil change...is well...its fast, and doesn't require an appointment.
    However, I'm not sure having a guy with "mechanical" experience changing my oil compares to a mechanic changing my oil.

2. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    If it is an oil change then I prefer it because it is fast and cheap. If I want anything else done, even a new tire or a visual inspection, then I go to a normal mechanic or dealer. Anyone can learn to change oil and air filters and such but are too lazy. Anything other than that and some other minor things, I want to get it looked at by a pro.

3. FlanneryCam

FlanneryCamActive Member

Threads:
    To save money, I do my oil change myself. But I find I also save time.

I've tried fast, dealership, local and 'daddy's' shop. I like doing it myself best. I might not always be willing to do it myself, and for me the best option if I'm paying is my local mechanic. He charges reasonably and does good work on time.

4. Ich bin Gia

Ich bin GiaMember

Threads:
    If it is just a simple oil change I would go the quick and inexpensive route. I have however been told once that I have a leaky oil pan and they could fix it there for some absurd price, and told them no and took my car to my own mechanic. The only thing I would allow those kind of places to do is change the oil. I never go to the dealership because I think they rip off people when it comes to cost. Find a good mechanic that will do it cheap, or mr. lube does the trick for one of those quick drive-through jobs.

5. Svoboda

SvobodaNew Member

Threads:
    Totally depends on how good the techs you get are. I've seen some oil change techs leave tools in the engine bay or forget to put oil in. Once I find a place that has a decent tech, I'll stick with them even if they charge a bit more.

6. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on the fast oil change company you go to. many are really good. I have used them and have had really good service. I have also gone to dealers and have had good and bad experiences. So I guess it depends on the quality of service you get from either businesses.

7. psufootball

psufootballMember

Threads:
    I prefer having the local mechanic do it. I know how to do it on my own, but the difference in price is so minimal I don't mind outsourcing it if it means I don't have to do the work. ;)

I suppose if I had a car that would take anything I would use a fastoil change company, but my Audi takes 100% synthetic oil and in general I just prefer having someone more experienced work with it since German cars are just so different from American/Japanese cars.