Are Gift Cards A Good Way To Save?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by ExpertAdvice • Jul 21, 2015.

1. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Gift cards have been around for a considerably long time, and don't seem to be going anywhere anytime soon, and for good reason!

Gift cards are great when you don't quite know what to get for that loved one...

OR perhaps it might be that you don't quite have the time to go shopping and finding that "perfect" gift for that special relative or friend. One may also look at gift cards as being beneficial because they give the "gift receiver" an option when it comes on to picking out exactly what it is that they would like, rather than having to return it because it's a size too small/large, or because they simply would've preferred something else.

And yet, I am quite sure that there are some of us out there that actually find a personal thrill out of going shopping for gifts, whether it's Christmas gifts, a gift for someone's anniversary, or anything like that...

So, it's up to you now...What do you think?

Apart from the benefits above, does it save your time, effort and money to use gift cards for gifts, or would you rather buy the gift yourself?

Let me know folks!

3129144373_2d3c29bfb8_o_d.

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Gift cards certainly will save someone the hassle of selecting the best gift for anyone but I doubt they'd save you in money.

If you bought a $5 gift on Etsy and wrap it up nicely, the recipient might think it's pretty expensive. Now supposing you sent that person a $5 gift card, they wouldn't be too happy, right?

Since I'd be forced to fork out $50 [or so] if I were to get someone a gift card I'd rather buy them a gift myself and save some money.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the gift card; they are a good idea for small gifts or if it is for a store you know someone likes or is saving up for something. To be honest I don't like them and rarely give them unless I know that person likes a gift card from a certain store.

They are good as long distance gifts and also as small prizes for contests, so they will be around, but are more of a convenience than a great thought. Plus the stores make money on it and are guaranteed sales and many don't get redeemed too so they profit on it.

4. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've ended up giving my nieces gift cards when I give them presents, because they are very particular, and are basically pains to shop for. Gift cards are my least favorite form of gifts, because to me, they signify last minute, or less thought than other types of gifts, but they are practical in some circumstances, when you haven't seen the person in a while, and don't know what they want or need, or if the person has a lot of needs, and can better prioritize where the money needs to be spent.

5. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Most older kids like to get gift cards I have found and this does save me time and effort from trying to find the perfect gift for a teenager. I do not like getting people gift cards as gift unless they ask for them because it seems too impersonal. I do not think that buying a gift card saves you much money in the long run.

6. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I don't think gift cards are the best way to save, unless you know that the person really wants a gift card from that store. Gift cards are literally telling the recipient how much you've spent on them, meaning that you have to spend quite a bit. Often, with presents, I'd much prefer to look for something slightly cheaper in stores, or sometimes even looking online is a much cheaper option. However, gift cards are a good idea if you don't know exactly what to get the person, and it's definitely more efficient. It'll save you time for sure. It just probably won't save you a lot of money.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to receive gift cards before, and they are indeed a good way to save money and make sure that the recipient will get to buy what he or she likes. I actually prefer gift cards or money rather than actual gifts, lol.

8. joshc428

joshc428Active Member

Threads:
    I only give gift cards if I KNOW the person will appreciate it or if they really like the store. However, cash is so much more versatile than gift cards since you can spend cash anywhere you want. If I don't know the person too well, I don't want to risk giving them currency that they'll never spend (as seen through the billions of dollars of gift cards that are never redeemed), so I just give them money.

9. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I like giving gift cards to my nieces and nephews who are now teenagers. When they were little I knew exactly what toys or clothes they liked and it was quite easy to buy presents for them. Now that they are older I find they appreciate the gift card. Save me time and energy and they can buy what they want. Also I find they can use the gift card say on Boxing Day and get twice as much stuff for the money as everything is on sale.

10. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Wow, all those gift cards in that picture, I wish I could grab them all LOL I LOVE gift cards, as I'm sure you can tell. Anyone who wants to buy me a gift card is free to do so. My friends and family also know this is what I prefer anyway, so I often get gift cards in place of a gift they've chosen, and I don't mind and don't hold the view they're being lazy. So yes, I'm all for gift cards. Some of the gifts I've received and didn't like have ended up in a charity shop. Not exactly a waste, but they didn't serve the purpose for which they were bought. So what's the point?

11. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is a good point. Since I'm a bargain shopper, I can often spend half of the original cost on an item, and therefore, say if I set a limit of $50 to spend, I could either buy the recipient a $50 gift card, or I could put my shopping savvy to work, and end up with around $100 or more in merchandise, for the same price. Personally, I'd rather do the latter, and give a larger and nicer gift, than simply clicking a button to order a gift card, or picking one up while I'm grocery shopping, because that seems very impersonal.

12. HenryDiebold

HenryDieboldNew Member

Threads:
    I always use gift cards and vouchers to save some money in my every purchase.. Online shopping can help you find the best deal, I recently bought some lovely Autumn scents of Yankee candle, jars and candle holders on nice discounts with the gift vouchers..

13. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If the gift card were discounted then I'd say it would be a good purchase, but often the ones I find here are priced exactly the same as the amount being offered on the card so to me that doesn't make much sense since it's not giving me much incentive as a buyer. I'd much rather just give the money to the person instead of the gift card if the price was the same. I once came across gift cards being sold at a discount because they were nearly expired and I snapped those up for personal use because they at least gave me some value for the money I was spending.

14. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I
    I think they can be, and many restaurants will throw in an extra 5 or 10 dollars with the purchase of a gift card. You can buy a gift for someone else, and save the extra gift card for yourself or use as a stocking stuffer. I am not sure if retail stores do that as well, but it is always a possibility.

15. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I always prefer to give gift cards than money, because then I know that the person has to do something with it to treat themselves, which I think is a good thing. Money can all too often just get swallowed up with day to day things and it isn't as special. So yes, I think that I would certainly always want to buy gift cards for people when I could, as I think that they are great things to receive.

16. prose

proseActive Member

Threads:
    Giving gift cards as gifts instead of cash can be a nice gesture to give to someone who does not normally treat themselves. For example, my parents hardly ever go out to eat, so for their anniversary I usually purchase them a restaurant gift card. There are a lot of reward programs for buying gift cards at gas stations and local grocery stores, such as Speedway gas station rewards and Kroger fuel points.

That being said, if you are willing to shop around and put forth the effort in getting the best price for a particular gift item, it may end up being less expensive than giving a gift card.