Are greeting cards still good gifts?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by lindbergh • Mar 8, 2014.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    In the 1990s, I think greeting cards were all the rage. I would see them all over in all occasions - birthdays, weddings, anniversaries, christenings, Valentines Day, etc. I gave my fair share of greeting cards myself before too. It was fun giving people greeting cards.

But now, come to think of it, I haven't given a greeting card for over a decade now. Are greeting cards still good gifts to give?

2. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I think yes its nice to receive greeting cards, it is an acknowledgement of the occasion your celebrating. I don't think I really consider them gifts unless I am putting money in them, they are usually accompanied by the gift. I don't think they are dying out because there are plenty of card shops around and online. I do agree with you though I no longer send cards in the masses anymore at christmas, easter and so on waste of money.

3. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I still send greetings cards because it's nice to receive something handwritten in the mail. I would only consider it a gift if I enclose money or a gift card, but I definitely think a greeting card is a nice, heartfelt gesture.

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    Hah.

You know, the only people who send greeting cards to us are our parents. And my husband and I always laugh that it is their generation that is keeping Halmark in business.

I think they are fading out, personally. I'm all for a great gift, but I think, "Geeze, you spent $3 on this card that I'm just going to throw away. You could have bought me a coffee and spent an hour of quality time with me for that."

I think we live in a digital generation that is doing away with physical invitations to parties (evite), doing away with thank you notes, and the greeting card with them. It even still amazes me how many people make and send Christmas cards every year, personally.

5. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    People are always getting married, having birthdays, giving birth, sending holiday greetings, etc., so I do think boxed sets of greeting cards make great gifts as they are something practical you know that the person will eventually have a use for. I make greeting cards and I leave them blank so that people can use them for the occasion of their choice.

6. Rzashida

RzashidaActive Member

Threads:
    I still use greeting cards. It just let someone know you are thinking of them for their birthdays. Sometimes a FB birthday greeting just isn't enough. I guess it may be old fashion but if you want to do a little extra with you greeting card add a gift card to it.

7. Gmac9100

Gmac9100Active Member

Threads:
    I personally think greeting cards are played out. Everyone knows a greeting card is something you buy someone, who you do not want to buy a real gift for.

8. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I think they are still very important to women. My sisters, my mother, my girlfriend, and my stepdaughter all throw tantrums and get very annoyed if you don't buy them a card to go with a present. And not just any card, you have to spend time on what the message inside is.

9. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Greetings cards are now becoming unpopular because there are now e-cards, and I really don't mind if I never get one at all. The last time I got one was when during my birthday. I'm not a sentimental person as far as greeting cards are concerned, so I don't mind if they would become obsolete in the future. I don't even consider it as a gift, it's more like the note that accompanies a gift.