Are Gym Memberships Really Worth It?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by cocolgooh • Feb 14, 2016.

1. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I used to pay for a gym membership a number of years back now. When I took it out I thought it seemed like too much of a good deal to miss out on. The place I paid for gave me access to the gym of course but buying the membership also gave you access to both an indoor and outdoor swimming pool, sauna, tennis, squash and badminton courts, a dance studio and discounts for various other places within the same building as well including a bar, cafe and meeting rooms, all free included with the price of the gym membership. I paid it at the time because I thought it was Handy to have all of those things in the same place, but then when I analyzed what I was spending for what I actually used I decided that it wasn't really worth it.

I used to occasionally use the gym, but mostly used the indoor swimming pool a couple of times a week and squash courts every weekend or so. I have a friend that has an indoor swimming pool anyway, and to hire the local hall (which could be used as a sports court generally with a few modifications to the room) for just £5 for 2 hours. I realised that what I was paying for the gym membership probably wasn't worth it, regardless of getting a lot of added extras, because I simply didn't use most of the extras.

Would you think it worthwhile to continue with all the added extras, or would you have cancelled it like I did and make use of other facilities elsewhere?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends, if you have the self will to workout by yourself and can do it at home, on the streets or have somewhere to workout without paying for a membership, then it’s great! On those cases, paying for a gym is not very necessary.

However, in my case for example I need to go somewhere else to workout, I can’t do it at home. When I get home I have only a couple things in mind – relax and be with my pets, watching something on tv. I can’t think of exercising at home. I tried for a few months to get some extra effort in me to do it, but ended up giving up last week and joining a gym.

3. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    The gym is usually a better option that going it home alone. There are usually trainers of the gym who are able to impart the correct procedures to enable to gain maximum benefit from you fitness session and to also minimize the danger of injury. You will probably be more motivated at the gym, whilst participating in those steamy group sessions.

4. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If I was in your shoes then I think that you have made the right decision, because if you are paying full price for the gym membership and you don't really maximize it's perks and benefits, then you are just shortchanging yourself and wasting money in the process. So I think that you have made a good decision in cancelling your gym subscription.

5. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    There is actually some good evidence that working out in a gym environment helps.
    It can make it more of a social event and encourage you too go if you are a social person.
    I find I work harder at the gym when I see people who are really fit, kind of motivates me.
    Also there was a recent study that showed men could lift more or would work out harder when in the presence of an attractive female around! That one is just basic psychology ;) haha.
    I don't use all the little extra's, but the girl does the spinning and the Yoga classes.
    I went to a gym a long time ago that had a punching bag and that was fun, not very popular anymore though.
    If my gym had a pool I would use that too, in fact we are thinking about switching to one that does.

6. Kenya Swan

Kenya SwanMember

Threads:
    I think a gym membership is a waste for me. Many times I joined a gym and after going for a few weeks I would stop going. Gym memberships are totally worth it if you are the kind of person that will go frequently and utilize most of the things the gym has to offer. When I did have a gym membership most days I would just spend my time on the thread mill, lift a few weights, and went home.

7. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that the answer to this depends upon what your workout preferences are. I have very specific preferences, but none of those preferences include working out at a gym. I like to do my working out at home, so my answer to this question would personally be no, gym memberships are not necessary or worth it. But I know other people who feed off of the atmosphere at the gym and push themselves harder for it.

8. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I think it depends on what you want to do while you're in the gym. If you only run, then you could do that outside of the gym for free, however if you want to use the weights while you're in the gym then it might be worth it a little bit more, so that would be better. I don't pay for the gym, but I do use the pool - because I couldn't do that any other way other than paying the money to use the pool that I visit.

9. Cilivren

CilivrenMember

Threads:
    I think it's worth it, but I don't think that it's necessary to have a gym membership to keep fit and healthy. I've never went to a gym, but I have been working out at home for 5 years now. Sure, I don't look like a bodybuilder, but I feel fit and that's what counts! Gym membership is too expensive for me, but I don't let that be a discouragement. If you want to keep active, there are many ways to do it without spending too much money.

10. showup

showupNew Member

Threads:
    Yes, gym memberships are worth it because first of all you get priority from the management. Secondly, its worth it because the management gives special offers and discounts for being a member of the gym. Members are allocated trainers who give pointers on what workouts to do. This though does not apply to all gyms. The only disadvantages with gym memberships is that they are very expensive.

11. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say it's worth it for some people and probably just exorbitant or excessive for some, depending on your values and principles. If you have the means to pay for a gym membership as much as the time to work out commensurate to the amount you paid, then of course it's all going to be worth it. If you're a busy person with hardly any time to spare for the gym, then it's not cost-efficient to pay for a membership. You're better off buying your own equipment and just working out at your own time and pace.

12. FenWoFon

FenWoFonMember

Threads:
    If you're really looking to work out and you're really motivated then you do not really need a gym's membership to work out, you can do it alone at home, play some music and work out hard, that is always going to be good if you're basically a beginner, if you're an advanced athlete then you could pay for the membership straight ahead, why not.

13. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on your situation. I know several homeless people who enjoy their $10 a month Planet Fitness memberships because they can have access to a nice shower, TV, WiFi, and free pizza once a month.
    Heck, even if you are housed the $10 a month seems like a good deal if you want to save water and energy and like to take long ,hot showers.

14. DiscountDreams

DiscountDreamsActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, just get a bike. Do bodyweight exercises after you ride it to the park. Stay lean, ride bikes, eat healthy and stay away from the steroid selfie factories ;)

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    My high school chum started as a receptionist in a gym some 10 years ago and is now the manager of that gym. She has been urging me for a membership at a great discount of 70% every time we meet. And she said that gym membership has drastically gone down. There is a package of $5 per month for students. I couldn't believe it.

However, I am not keen in going to the gym due to lack of time. But I now understand the benefit of being in the gym... you are somehow motivated (if not forced) to attend your sessions. And exercising with some others will give you more motivation to reach your goal.

16. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I stopped renewing my gym membership and haven't really missed out. I've notice I've saved a lot over the year and I just have to be more creative with my workouts. I usually go for a long walk or take the stairs at work. I also am more active with my kids i.e., throwing a football or baseball, going for a job or even skating on the Rideau Canal. I love being active as a family. The best workout I had recently was at work. One of my colleagues organized a bootcamp workout. It was only 20 minutes but you did 30 seconds of intense skipping and then 10 seconds rest. Then you did 30 seconds of pushups and 10 second rest. Then 30 seconds of plank and 10 second rest. There were 6 different activities for 30 seconds and then you repeated them 6 times. What an amazing workout core strength, and fitness. You have to try it and you don't need any equipment other than a skipping rope.

17. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I would have done the same as you have. I think gym memberships are mostly only worth it if you use them very frequently and if you don't then you only end up spending the money without getting the use out of it. Still, if the gym were cheap enough then I guess it would be alright to keep the membership running alongside other ones you utilize such as swimming pool rentals but most gyms nowadays aren't cheap and even if they were they still will end up being expensive if you accumulate it annually.

18. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    I believe gym membership is ultimately an unnecessary expenditure. There are many free ways you can use to keep fit like walking and doing manual chores at home which involve heavy lifting. The energy expended in the gym can be used elsewhere for positive results. Gyms have a way of making someone think that the gadgets will bring fitness to a member instead of the plain truth that fitness is directly proportional to your effort.

19. HealthAndVitality

HealthAndVitalityMember

Threads:
    That is one thing that people really need to wake up to. Buy a gym membership only and only if you intend to use it. What's the point of spending money on annual membership that you think you may use, that's no excuse, it's a waste of money. You may say that it is a social ground, well, so is the park and it's free. Call up a few friends, organize a consistent exercising time and get to it, you may find that other people to want to join, and you form a community of your own, we need to be more creative.

20. hades_leae

hades_leaeActive Member

Threads:
    These days they are not, the gym will charge whatever they can because they just want to make as much money as they can from every potential member. I went to a gym and they quoted me a total of $300 dollars just to get in the gym.

I was pissed, and asked why do they charge that much. Anyways, I decided to not start the membership for that reason. The guy offered to wipe away the $200 dollar enrollment fee and just charge me my first and last month for a total of $69 dollars. I did not like that because I knew then that it was not a necessary charge.