Are laptops no longer worth buying?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by CuriousJ • Sep 7, 2012.

1. CuriousJ

CuriousJNew Member

Threads:
    After the huge success of the iPad, we've seen how tablet PCs have boomed. There are so many models to choose from now and the hardware is only getting more and more powerful.

So is it worth getting a laptop over a tablet? Tablets definitely have the portability factor going for them, primarily because there's no keyboard, whereas a laptop with similar hardware is bound to be bigger and/or heavier than the equivalent tablet.

Sure, laptops can be much more powerful than tablets, and therefore may be good for things like HD gaming on the go, but I feel 'gaming' laptops aren't really practical since gaming really eats up the battery, and lets be honest, there's no point using a laptop that's always plugged in, might as well get a desktop then.

Besides, both Android and iOS have a huge number of games that look absolutely stunning, and don't really eat up the battery that much.

So what do you guys think?

2. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I prefer laptops. I see tablets as more of an entertainment device. From a productivity and mobility standpoint, I will always use a laptop over a tablet any day.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I write for a living, and I think trying to do that on a tablet would be much more difficult. The screen and the keys are much smaller than on a laptop. When I can afford a tablet, I'll get one, because then I can take it away on short breaks, so that I can keep up with emails, and maybe do forum posts, or work on my editing job without having to take along the laptop.

However, a tablet will be an addition to the laptop, rather than a replacement for it. It depends what you need it to do for you, and a tablet wouldn't cut it for me.

4. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    iPads and other tablets don't really have much functionality other than browsing and gaming thru apps. If you are going to do some office works using office suite, then laptop/desktop is still what you would need.

5. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    Don't get me wrong, ipads are great, but they are only useful for certain things. You can't create spreadsheets or anything with them. I prefer having both. A laptop to get my work done, and I like the iPad to watch videos, and just surf the internet. I love them both and don't think I could let either go.

6. BarryLejieg

BarryLejiegNew Member

Threads:
    Well they are producing nowadays a two-in-one product. A tablet and a laptop integrated in one single product. The best example for that is Microsoft Surface but there are other alternatives too and in the near future a lot of other alternatives will pop up in the market since this is the future of mobile computing.

If you want tablets just because of their touch screens, you can always buy an Ultrabook, which is a version of a laptop with high end specs and usually a multi-touch screen.
    Anyway, personally I prefer laptops, tablets are great but I think they will never have the capacity to replace the laptop completely.

7. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    The problem with tablets and netbooks is that they don't have the same capabilities of a laptop. I don't think I'd ever purchase a tablet because there isn't really a need for it. Every time I speak with someone, they always say they bought a tablet because they wanted to not because they needed it. In the end, a laptop, for me anyway, will always be the superior product.

8. CuriousJ

CuriousJNew Member

Threads:
    Isn't the surface kind of like a desktop though? It's not really portable right? (Surface is the coffee table touch screen computer than Microsoft showcased a while back right?)

The Ultrabook sounds very interesting. I'll definitely check it out. Hope it doesn't carry Dell's [/i]ultra[/i] price tag too. :D

Oh and the iPad does have office suites available. One example is Apple's very own iWorks. The suite includes a word processor, spreadsheet software and presentation software. Some tabs (like the Samsung Galaxy Tab) also have keyboard docks available, but I guess if you're going to be using a keyboard dock you might as well get a laptop.

9. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe in like 5-10 years that may be the case but these are apples and oranges right now. A laptop serves a much greater purpose and can still do a lot more than a tablet can. A tablet is best for just being on the go and needing some resources quickly. The processing power and overall ability is still lacking and no tablet on the market is self sustaining enough to be a primary "computer" for a home.

10. etc

etcActive Member

Threads:
    Maybe if someday they can develop a tablet that can almost do everything as a desktop can and so desktop computers may decreases its sale. That would be great, I'd probably buy one.

11. YorkshireLass

YorkshireLassMember

Threads:
    I'm not a big fan of tablets, you can do most of the stuff they offer on a decent smartphone! The screen isn't big enough for working on a long term basis even if it is attached to a keyboard, and I think it's largely a way to get people to buy more technology now the PC/laptop market is saturated. Laptops are mobile enough for my needs like moving between home and work, and the fact most people I have seen using tablets appear to be doing it mainly to look good doesn't help!

12. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    A tablet would be absolutely worthless to me. First, I don't need that type of portability. Second, I like a big screen and a full-size keyboard. Anything resembling that would require me to plug an extra keyboard into my tablet, and then it's just like a laptop anyway.

Laptops are convenient, easy to transport if necessary, and comfortable.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I find tablets worthless personally. I could not get any work done on a tablet, I don't get why people would want to ditch their mouse and keyboard like that unless they're just playing games all day and flipping around on facebook. Typing on a screen is a nightmare.

14. gina121

gina121Active Member

Threads:
    Like everyone else, I too am all for laptops. I do not find them inconvenient or bulky at all, and they meet all my needs. I have checked out and temporarily tried using a tablet, but it didn't offer the same versatility of a laptop.

15. iNg

iNgMember

Threads:
    unless you're constantly on the go, and have no need for power, then laptops never were worth buying in terms of price/performace.

16. allswl

allswlActive Member

Threads:
    Laptops wont be going away anytime soon. The features to be found on a laptop cannot be found on any tablet. tablets are too restrictive and lacking in key things like storage capacity, processor speed, RAM size and battery life. Until they can bring tablets up to the level of a laptop then and only then will laptops be in trouble.

17. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    You are comparing apples and oranges. The two types of devices aren't very similar and the customer base for each have rather different needs. I don't really have a use for a tablet since most of the things I could use one for can be accomplished with my Vita or my cellphone.

18. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I like tablets especially the ones with the keyboard attachment. I think laptops are slowly going to be phased out. I'm tired of dealing with overheating issues with the laptops, and tablets don't have this problem. The touch screen is much faster than scrolling with a mouse, so it just makes more sense to use it as an everyday computer. Gaming laptops are dead, and not many people are playing pc games because the consoles destroyed them. I think a tablet is a good thing, and most of them aren't too expensive, so it's a win-win situation.

19. workingmama

workingmamaNew Member

Threads:
    Exactly my thoughts! I've heard friends go on and on about their new tablets, but after checking them out and seeing what they do with it - I don't see enough difference between tablet and smartphone and begin to think these people are just gadget junkies.

I love my laptop - the portability, the capabilities all just right. I do agree laptops have long had issues with overheating, but that has gotten better over the years and people have gotten smarter about using their laptop. I disagree that not many people do pc gaming, that is still a decent sized market. But most people I know that do pc gaming have built their computers - laptop and desktop, they don't buy the ready made models.

Maybe one day in the future tablets will be more useful, but right now I only see them as an addition to a laptop not a replacement.

20. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    I'm also in favor of laptops over tablets. In fact, my mother is pushing me to receive the tablet that my father is giving me but I always decline because I don't need it anyways. My laptop is already great because I can use it for a variety of things without experiencing any slow down whatsoever. Tablets are also very hot on the eyes of thieves right now and I don't want to risk it.