Are laptops the past?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by classy_ally • Jun 19, 2012.

1. classy_ally

classy_allyMember

Threads:
    As technology continues to develop, I wonder if laptops are the past? Almost everyone has a tablet of some form. They seem bulky in comparison to the tablet.

Personally, I will still buy a laptop. And when I can afford the iPad I will purchase that as well.

What are your thoughts?

2. difrancprod

difrancprodBanned

Threads:
    I still own and would still but a laptop because the memory that I can place there is still nothing to be compared when I use my tablet. Laptops are classy and I don't think it's going to fade out just like that. We still have desktop computers though. If there's one thing that couldve been phased out, those are the desktops.

3. Linky

LinkyExpert

Threads:
    No, I do not think that laptops are the past. Tablets complement them but I really do not think that it is a replacement. Some companies like Samsung are actually investing loads more money into developing their ultra-books. So, I do think that laptops are probably here to stay...they will just get more streamlined and lighter.

4. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I used a tablet at work for the better part of the year and it was painful to do real computer work on. In the end I needed a flat panel monitor,
    real keyboard and mouse so the point was wasted. I think they are fine for reading the web, books or for apps but they are limited by a crappy touch screen monitors and size.

5. tosaytheleast

tosaytheleastActive Member

Threads:
    NO! Aren't you aware that new laptops are still yet to be released with very high specs and very high price too. You cannot compare to a tablet into a laptop because both things are different. A tablet could not do things better than laptop when it comes to gaming and business.

6. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    They are supposed to be coming out with Ultrabooks pretty soon. I think that they are supposed to be comparable to laptops as far as the specs go but small like the tablets. I am not sure how much the cost will be for an Ultrabook but they may be the end of the latop. It will depend on how good they really are.

7. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    Nah, I don't think they are. I think it's just a matter of preference and need for whether you buy a tablet, laptop, or netbook. They're all similar and have similar functions, but they vary enough that one can't really replace another.

8. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    To me, I will always use a laptop. Maybe it's because I'm cheap, but I don't feel like handing over $300 for a table that does less than my laptop. Possibly, if that new Microsoft Surface tablet comes to Canada and eventually becomes $99 in a decade then I will buy it. Until then, I will stick to my four-year-old laptop.

9. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I don't have a tablet yet, but I plan on getting one. My laptop is just too heavy and bulky when I carry it around with me. Right now I have fans to cool my laptop, and with a tablet I don't have to worry about it overheating. I like the digital keyboard where there aren't anymore physical keys. It's all touch screen I can type faster with that set up. I will keep my laptop for a little while longer, but eventually I will get rid of it for a tablet.

10. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Probably, considering how fast technology is advancing. I personally will keep using laptops despite new technology. I hate trying to keep up with the new fads, it's pointless.

11. SarahLizzie

SarahLizzieActive Member

Threads:
    I do not think laptops are a thing of the past. The memory you can have on a laptop is much larger than that on a tablet. I avtually own two desktos, a lapto, and a tablet. Which device I use depends on what tasks Iam completing and if I will be on the go or not. Laptops not becoming obsolete will allows consumers a wider variety of products to choice from.

12. Mystique

MystiqueActive Member

Threads:
    If laptop is the past then, I'm in big trouble! No matter how much I love the iPad, I still use my laptop because it's what I use to work. I can't be typing all day long with a tablet.

13. Esperahol

EsperaholActive Member

Threads:
    I always wonder when I hear people ask these questions - why? Why when a new technology comes out must something else immediately become passe and need to be phased out? That said I think laptops are fine. Tablets are good for entertainment and smaller tasks, laptops are good if you want to be mobile while handling heavier tasks, and desktops are awesome because you generally get alot better value for the money you put out in comparison to tablets and laptops.

14. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I'd like a tablet for portability, but the price is putting me off. That said, as I work for several hours a day typing on my laptop, I don't think I could do that comfortably on a tablet. As the price comes down - which it will do - I think more people will buy tablets. However, they will mostly be in addition to laptops, rather than instead of, so I don't see the laptop disappearing anytime soon.

15. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I have a tablet simply because it was cheaper to buy than a laptop. (I spent $160 on it, whereas the cheapest laptop I could find was no less than $300.) But I don't think laptops are a thing of the past. Way more people have laptops than have tablets, I find. I'm usually the only person in the room with a tablet, and then I get a million questions about it, haha!

16. bryce12

bryce12Active Member

Threads:
    If Microsoft Surface becomes a success then laptops will be thing of the past. Having said that, I still don't see people abandoning laptops in a hurry simply because tablets are not that powerful yet. People asked whether desktops are dead when laptops started to become popular but they are still around. Similarly laptops will survive the onslaught of tablets however I am not so sure about netbooks.

17. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I definitely don't see laptops become a thing of the past. I see tablets as an entertainment device. I don't know how anyone can be productive on a tablet. It's lightweight and will fit in my purse. My laptop is more powerful and it also fits in my purse.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm tired of all the touch screen products. I hate typing that way and will never buy anything that only allows for this option.,

19. ozadin

ozadinActive Member

Threads:
    Laptops are not becoming the past, they are still being used and being bought every day. They're mostly used for travel purposes, and light work, but I think desktops are superior to them. They are definitely not dying out yet though.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think desktops should be phased out. It's much easier to upgrade certain parts there as compared to laptops, and as a gamer a desktop is necessary. And besides, there really should be a device that's meant to be plugged all the time.

Anyway, to answer the question, laptops will never be a thing of the past because the tablet is very underpowered as compared to laptops.