Are motorcycles easy to maintain?

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by MrsJones • Dec 7, 2014.

1. MrsJones

MrsJonesActive Member

Threads:
    Other than the fact that motorcycles are easy on saving money for gas, are they easy on the pocket to maintain as well? There are a lot of motorcycles in my neighborhood but I never see any one ever wipe a mirror clean or polish the hardware. I did see one with a tarp draped over but it was raining that day. So... are motorcycles easy to maintain?

2. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    Let me examine/ analyse you're question to see if motorcycles are easy to maintain :)
    1)the Price- motorcycles generally cost less than other automobiles.
    2)the cost for gas- motorcycles uses less gas for refilling purposes, but I have no idea how long gas lasts with motorcycles so that's a point of clarification
    3)the parts- motorcycles invariably will have cheaper parts in the automobile arena. The cost of a tire is minute in comparison to cars, the cost of parts too. And, bikes don't even use some of the parts cars use,eg, filters, coolant liquid,etc, so there's no need to buy those things.
    4)overall maintenance- a bike is easier to keep clean than most automobiles, so that too will save you time and money.

So, I think we all get the gist here. Bikes are on the face of things more economical than cars. And I would like to belief that this is not only, on the face of things, but a fact.

3. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    ExpertAdvice is completely wrong about the cost of motorcycle tires, for the record. They've often as expensive and sometimes even more expensive than traditional automobiles. There are bargain brands out there, but your chances of winding up spread across the highway are much higher with these brands.

Anyways, motorcycles are cheaper than vehicles in overall maintenance and repair costs nonetheless. You'll get 40 to 80 mpg, depending upon individual setups and brands. A brand new motorcycle might cost $11,000 - a lower cost than most automobiles. They're a better deal, but it's moot if you're not planning on buying one.

4. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have a car and my girl has a motorcycle and I could say that I'm spending a lot more on repairs than she is. Most of the motorcycle parts are easier to find and cost much cheaper than car parts. And yes, motorcycles are more fuel efficient. Waaaay more efficient.

I'm not so sure about the tires that Faithful Poster is saying though. I think it depends on what tire you're talking about because there are car tires that are very very expensive.

5. worldmachine

worldmachineActive Member

Threads:
    Motorcycles are relatively easy to maintain, the most common problem i encountered when i owned one was flooded fuel and oily spark plugs, not a problem on today's fuel injected bikes though.

Snapped clutch problems and worn gearboxes are also quite common on motorbikes, also alternator failures and flat batteries are other problems i remember from my biking days.

Motorcycles are much more economical and fun than a car, you just have to balance that with the safety aspect of them. They will break down from time to time like any machinery.

6. BrandonScooterman

BrandonScootermanActive Member

Threads:
    Bikes are easier to maintain then cars, but still require a degree of mechanical proficiency.
    Some bikes are easier then others. There is too many factors to make a blanket statement on this subject.
    If you have a simple bike and can do the work yourself, then it's cheaper.
    If you have a complicated bike and can't then it could be more expensive.
    Bike mechanics are more specialized and you will find fewer shops. Everyone has a car so there are tons of car mechanics, sometimes bike shops will be more expensive then car repair shops.
    My ninja tires are more money per unit then my Toyota tires, becuase of economies of scale and because the bike tires are a specialized/performance product.