Are Name/store Brand Clothes Worth The Money?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by colonelcourn • Jul 11, 2015.

1. colonelcourn

colonelcournNew Member

Threads:
    Here's a hypothetical situation for all the fellow fashionistas out there. Let's suppose that you were looking for a loose white tee and decided to shop at both Forever 21 and American Apparel. After shopping all day, you find that both stores have what you are looking for, in fact, it appears that each store carries an almost identical white tee. However, the prices are completely different; while the Forever 21 tee costs $15, the American Apparel tee costs a whopping $50. Would you rather pay more for a recognized brand and designer tag? What if they were made out of identical fabrics? In general, do you find yourself splurging the extra cash for name/store brand apparel? Explain your answer!

2. Sue

SueActive Member

Threads:
    I think brand named clothing is a way over priced and not worth the extra money that you pay for them. With the prices the way that they are I don't know how people can afford it. I don't want to have to work all day just to buy a t-shirt. It seems a bit extreme to me. I think that younger people are more apt they are to pay the higher prices and there is always the peer pressure of fitting in.

3. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I typically find brand name clothing to have the best sales, so I say yes, always worth the money. Places like Walmart or Kmart clothes wear out quickly and do terrible in the wash. I don't even like Target clothing, which I find to be as expensive (most often) as department store prices.

Because I shop out of season, with coupons, and hunt online bargains, I nearly always know when good products are at a rock bottom price, and that's when I buy. Most of my clothing would be considered "expensive" brands (Gap, Banana, Express, etc.) but I've found nearly all of it on sale.

4. tangela

tangelaActive Member

Threads:
    Not necessary, but I think it depends on what you're buying. For jean brands like Levi, I know it'll be worth it because it's a reputable brand that can last a long time. Brand names are just brand names...sometimes they're more expensive but the quality is still pretty crappy (to save money I guess?) so you'll just have to shop around.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    I usually buy clothes brands that I know have superior quality. These brands are not really the expensivr famous ones. Usually, they are those in the middle like Uniqlo or even Cotton On. My preference depends on quality, not the name of the brand.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I go for quality not the brand. If the material is goo and the stitching is good I do not care what the brand is. Often the item is made by the same manufacture and a different brand is put on the item, it is called white labeling.

7. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    Some name brand clothing is worth the price you pay for it because it will last a long time. Most fashion brands are not worth it, but when you invest in good sport clothes like North Face, Patagonia, and Columbia, these clothes will last you a very long time if you take care of the items.

8. KNH

KNHActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. Most of the time, brand clothing prices are outrageous and the same quality as non-brand stuff, but sometimes brand clothing really is more reliable and worth the extra money. I agree with North Face for sure.

9. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I think this depends on the item in question. Things like T-shirts, I’ll try to find a middle ground as I’ve found those work the best for me, and I try to wait for sales. And if I want to experiment with a trend, I’ll go as cheap as possible because I may not even like it after a while. But if it’s something that’ll get really heavy-duty use, like a bra, a pair of shoes, or a jacket, name brands can be worth the price. But again, waiting or searching for a good sale is key.

10. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A high price does not indicate quality necessarily. Do you want people to know where you got the t-shirt from, why does it matter?

A white t-shirt doesn't last long, even if it's expensive so I wouldn't buy an expensive one as it's not an investment. Most things in Forever 21 are okay to good quality and American Apparel are only mediocre for the price. I would buy Forever 21 or Banana Republic, because American Apparel isn't always the best.

11. danielle davidson

danielle davidsonActive Member

Threads:
    I think that sometimes it is and other times it isn't. I'm not one who wants to spend hundreds of dollars on new clothing if I can help it. So I try and shop at Forever 21 and H&M. Honestly you can find some really good clothing there, and it's cheap. I don't care if I don't have the best name brand clothing. Plus, who is going to see the tags anyways. Now that being said, sometimes like when I'm buying shoes I like to spend more money. That way you know that they will last you a long time. Like I don't mind spend $200 on Uggs because I know that they will last me a long time.

12. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to clothes, I don't want big names on me.. I find it all very very silly (putting it very very nicely lol). Quality is in durability and if it's durable, doesn't cost a lot and looks good on me, I'll buy it. If it's durable, doesn't cost a lot, looks good on me and has a big name on it, I won't buy it. It's a big turn off.. I'm stubborn like that lol

13. dandeliion

dandeliionMember

Threads:
    I think it matters sometimes. For basic pieces, like a white shirt, I don't mind in eating in somethig pricier because it's something I'm going to wear multiple times for years to come. For more "trendy" pieces or pieces that are only good for a single season, I'll buy cheaper things.

14. MarriedGirl15

MarriedGirl15Member

Threads:
    I usually don't buy clothing based on the name, because it can be expensive. I find a lot of the clothing overpriced. I buy what makes me look good and feel good. I'm amazed, how much money people tend to spend on clothing because of a name. A lot of people are going broke buying clothing because it has someone's name on it. You may look good for a day, but you're making that person/company rich, while you are struggling because you want to wear an item because of a name.

15. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It really depends on the brand and piece of clothing you're looking for and what you need it for. For example, I like bargains and clothes on sales, however I caved in and decided to buy two suits from Zara even though they were expensive and over my budget. I did that because there were really high-quality, fit me like a glove, looked very classy and professional and I really needed new suits for work. So in that case, I thought the brand and the clothing were worth it. However for regular clothes I'm not sure if it's worth paying more.

16. Vicenta

VicentaMember

Threads:
    I would obviously go for the 15 dollar shirt. But I have always been like that. I rather pay 5 or 10 bucks for a shirt that I like and is comfortable than to go pay 30 or 40 dollars on a shirt due to it's brand. Brands aren't anything but that BRANDS they aren't important to me I rather save my money to spend on something that's worth it and name brand clothing isn't worth it.

17. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I usually buy clothes that are not expensive, like my maximum budget for a pants or shirt is only around $12, so for sure I won't spend that much on a piece of clothing. I would rather just keep that money and spend it on an any kind of electronic item. I think spending as much as $50 on clothing is a waste of money. I would only spend that much if it's a pair of shoes.

18. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really really have understood why people go out of their way to buy brand name brands. You might be impressing other people with that sort of stuff, but a name and a certain price tag attached to a piece of clothing does absolutely nothing to impress me. Personally, I buy the clothing that I like, if it is an acceptable price. If I don't like it I won't buy it.

19. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree, quality is more important than brand name. If it's high quality, and it happens to be a brand name, I may buy it, but again it's not because of the brand. Unfortunately some non-brand items are also poor quality. I've tried buying shirts and pants from places like Target (whatever store brands they carry) and they're super flimsy and shrink down to almost nothing when you wash them. Same thing with JC Penney and their "Arizona" brand men's clothing, it fades and shrinks really bad after one wash - and you can literally feel how flimsy their jeans are when compared to Levi's.

There are some expensive brands too though that don't hold up well in the wash. Nautica brand shirts shrivel up bad in the wash, especially their collars, which get all curled up.

20. watsadamen

watsadamenMember

Threads:
    For this question, I would go for quality over the brand name. If I find an item that I think is durable even without a brand name, then I will buy it. I would also shell out more if was sure it would last longer. That would save me the money on the long run from buying an item again and again.