Are Oklahoma's Public Schools Too Money-dependent?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by mythman • Mar 3, 2015.

1. mythman

mythmanActive Member

Threads:
    A

to the general fact that public-schools which rate high on

(based on 'the grades students make,' 'the students' progress toward/beyond expectations,' 'their attendance, behavior etc.') are located in higher-priced neighborhoods.

Were I to 'hazard a guess' (i.e. off the top of my head, not 'carefully considering all the various-&-sundry factors'), I would say that it's the parents' fault---not necessarily that the parents are 'guilty' (as I'm sure most of them are victims of matters beyond their control), but that the children need more encouragement than the parents are giving.

Maybe the students don't feel like they're there to 'accomplish something.' When I was a child, I was convinced that my father went out everyday to win 'surprises' (which is what we called the groceries he would buy on his way home from work). I suppose that's something-like what I felt I was doing 'going out' to school everyday ... I'm sure I didn't consciously know that, but it was probably the hope I had in the back of my mind.

And my family wasn't really "rich" (I think we were middle-class, maybe upper-middle); but--while others were just 'children growing-up'--I was an honors-student :D (along with several others)

The article itself said that the 'expensive property' & 'high-ranking school' pairing was kind of like "the chicken and the egg" (maybe one causes the other, maybe the other causes the one ...). I think maybe a closer similarity would be with 'the spin of the Earth & its orbit around the Sun'---they each exist independent of the other, but they each affect the other in very basic ways.

How do you think area's average-income affects the area's student's grades?