Are outlets really cheaper?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by Pocs • Aug 5, 2012.

1. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    The area I live in you can go any direction and within 20 miles find a outlet strip mall. Carters, Kitchen Aid, Abercrombie, Coach,you name it, they have a outlet for it. Years back they carried discounted out of season products and you could save a buck or two. Today they are filled with all the new trends and products for prices nearly that of the retail stores for savings that are hard to see. Am I the only one who thinks that, today the word outlet is used to lure people in thinking they are saving because it's a outlet and not a retailer?

2. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOnActive Member

Threads:
    I think I agree. At one time outlet malls were a big trip for a day or two of shopping and the deals were incredible. Watertown NY, Niagara Falls On. and so forth. I was at one not too long ago and the prices were no hell. I think they are trying to lure shoppers with fake promises. I recall being in Nike outlet store and the prices were outrageous. You could find the same stuff half priced at a regular Sports store.

3. trident252

trident252Member

Threads:
    It all comes down to basic comparison shopping. I have been in so-called outlets where the prices were crazy. A lot of it is advertising to make people think that they are getting the "deal of a lifetime".

4. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I've been to some outlets, and I didn't see a real difference in pricing. That's just what you said it's just to make people think they're getting a deal. I wouldn't waste my time going to an outlet anymore. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't save any money shopping there.

5. soulglazed

soulglazedMember

Threads:
    Outlets are one of those things where it all depends on timing. Sometimes you'll go in and won't really notice any deals and sometimes you'll see amazing ones. I think time of the year is a big factor on top of hitting them up right when sales happen. It's easy to see an ad for a great deal, put it to the side and then forget about it. Overall though, I don't think there's an OUTRAGEOUS amount of savings, it's hit or miss basically.

6. Nick2011

Nick2011Active Member

Threads:
    I think whether it's outlets or regular stores. In this economy, stores are cheaper at certain times. Depends on what time you go shopping. Time of the year, the month, etc. I've been in stores where 2-liter sodas are on sale 2 for $3. Then I come back to that same store a week later and it's 3 for $3. But it also helps when you have one of those keychain tags. In the case of RiteAid, Duane Reade, Pathmark, etc. You'll always get a bargain everyone else without one doesn't.

7. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    I really think it depends on where you go to. For example there is a nine west store near me and an outlet store. The price for shoes in each is vastly different. Almost same products but the cost is light years different. I think it just depends. Coach isn't a good one for that. They are still not that much cheaper. However, if you go to the coach store in a mall as opposed the outlet, you'll find cheaper prices at the outlet.

8. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I was told that the outlet stores had their own special version of the products. They are that brand per say, like Tommy Hilfiger, Ralph Lauren, Liz Claiborne etc, but its a slightly less quality product, with their name on it. Thats what I was told by the Tanger Outlet people anyway.

9. AnonaMoss

AnonaMossActive Member

Threads:
    I think that some people make a big deal out of outlets because of the hype. From my experience, you may find some steals, but most of the products are last season's merchandise. Rarely, I may come across something new, but most of the products are in the outlet to make room for new merchandise in the stores or to get rid of overstock. A friend of mine was so excited about a Coach bag she purchased for $70. In fact, the bag was two years old and probably worth that price because fashion is so wishy-washy. I think you have to keep a realistic outlook and low expectations when you visit an outlet. Look for steals, but don't be disappointed if you don't find anything worth gloating about. In my opinion, you have to have to have the same mentality that you have when you go to the thrift store and flea markets.

10. nms1234

nms1234New Member

Threads:
    I feel like the outlets are much different now than they were a few years ago. I think the are mostly, as someone mentioned above, manufacturers making lower quality things and selling them at the outlet. And, the stores that do have true outlets, often don't have great prices. We used to go to a Champion outlet that had great merchandise, big thick college sweatshirts, all sorts of active wear, etc. These clothes ended up at the outlet because there was a minor problem and it got rejected by Quality Control. But usually it was something so minor like the logo was slightly off center, the color was wrong, etc. Things I didn't care about. What I did care about was that I was getting a top quality clothing item and half price or less. This store closed about 5 years ago and I haven't found anything like it since. My question is this: Where do all these slightly "damaged" items go now? Do they throw them away?

11. Pocs

PocsActive Member

Threads:
    Your perspective is dead on. I also wonder about the seconds merchandise. Where does it go? The simplest solution would be donation to a local organization. But retailers are all about the mighty dollar, so if they can find a way to squeeze a buck out they will, before ever even entertaining the idea of donations.

12. quitetenacious

quitetenaciousNew Member

Threads:
    You will always save money at outlets. It's really just a matter of timing. Sometimes when you go there you will score alot of good merchandise at a great price, others the selection will be not so great. Outlets are a place you should go when you just want to shop, not when looking for a specific item because you are not going to find it I can guarantee it. I've not ever experienced really bad quality in the merchandise at our outlet mall. Most of it is either overstock, last year's merchandise or something with a slight defect that's not easy to notice and usually when this is the case they have a label marking it as defective.

13. tommymac

tommymacActive Member

Threads:
    I remember getting into the car with mom, dad and my 4 siblings to head up to the outlet in Kenosha in order to get some back-to-school clothing. Slightly irregular outfits were the products that they offered. Most of the time, imperfections in the clothing were hard to spot, but the savings were easy to see.

I think outlets are now just a place for companies to sell their overstocked items.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We took a three hour trip to a outlet area, the prices were not good at all, we could get the same prices at home or watch for sales. I think outlet's are just a marketing thing to get the consumer to spend more money.

15. mountainside

mountainsideActive Member

Threads:
    I remember many years ago, I used to spomsor bus trips to Reading, Pennsylvania to the outlets there. Uoi were able to purchase things from Vanity Fair, pay $100 and get $200 in merchandise. Other places have outlets where they do sell things cheaper, or at a discount off the regular prices in retail stores.

16. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It definitely depends. I do agree that it's not as great as it used to be. You can still go and get great deals, but you need to be careful about not assuming that everything is going to be cheaper. They still are going to suck you in with the cheap deals and hope that you buy more at full price while you're there.

17. youtubedomination

youtubedominationMember

Threads:
    We live in Canada and making the 2-hour trip down to the Seattle Outlets definitely saves us a lot of money, possibly just due to the pricing difference between the US and Canada.

18. YoungNThrifty

YoungNThriftyNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with what a lot of the other people here have to say about outlets. I think they're more hype than anything else. There is a bit of a discount but you're getting the deals of a life-time that those outlet malls want you think they're offering.

Personally, If I happened to have a outlet nearby my home, I'd be a regular shopper there- but the closest one to me is nearly an hour away. I've never been a fan of long drives and gas is only getting more expensive. I've lived at my home for 3 years now and I've only bothered to shop there twice.

19. micromachne

micromachneMember

Threads:
    They're still cheaper. But not as "cheaper" as they used to be. Outlets a few years back were the ideal places for mass bargains. They still usually have better deals. But not as good as they did in years prior.

20. plsargent

plsargentNew Member

Threads:
    I agree with other posters that you can save if you go at the right time, with the right coupons/discount cards ect. ect. But really we shouldn't have to do that. The outlet malls were made at first to have the deals and that's why people went to them. Now it's just poor quality with a high price tag attached to it. Example is Coach. They make certain "lines" just for the outlet stores. They are not as high as quality as you would find in a regular store, yet they have a nice high price tag printed to make you think your getting a good deal so you can see where the price started at before all your "discounts". More and more stores are doing this and it's sad.