Are People Getting Stranger or What?

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by jneanz • Nov 2, 2014.

1. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    Last week, I was in the library and I hear this middle age (between 50-65 y.o.) couple arguing over a computer. There were plenty of computers not being used as the previous owner stepped away for a while so the second person logged him out and signed in. While it wasn't violent, it was loud, resorting to name-calling and threats. It went on for about a 1/2 hour and the police were called. The irony was that the person who started the fight not only got his seat back but was not arrested.

Earlier in the week, a family member who had been sick died. His funeral was a few days later and some family members showed up. His mother-in-law (my aunt) rode in a car with me but his wife (my cousin) arrived in a limo. When she got out of the limo, she blew kisses to everyone who was waiting to go inside. Who does that as I thought this was a time for humility, not showtime.:(

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The story about your cousin at the funeral is crazy. It's so odd that she would start blowing kisses and showing off at a funeral. Maybe she's seen too many celebrity red carpet arrival videos and forgot where she was.

3. Rhoda D'ettore

Rhoda D'ettoreMember

Threads:
    It is not that odd if she was on medication for nerves. My sister died, and I had a great funeral for her. She was not the traditional type and so I blasted classic rock at the funeral home, and posted all her pictures all over. We did laugh and engage in the "remember whens". Then my mother said to me, "Did you bring a camera? Take some pictures". Uh, at my sister's funeral? But my mother was on some seriously heavy medication. She has no memory of the night at all. The doctors gave it to her because she has such blood pressure problems that they were afraid she might have a stroke. So perhaps the woman was drugged.

4. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    There's definitely been a shift in what is deemed "appropriate behavior", I do feel that as a nation people are de-volving, I don't now if this is a combination of being anesthetized and contaminated by television and genetically modified foods??, there is a movie called Idiocracy, which is meant to be a comedy, but it actually views more like a documentary, we are hurtling at light speed toward that movie's reality.

5. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    The world is now so small for people. Everybody is connected and so there is so much familiarity with each other which in turn make people off one another just because it is now difficult to make secrets, no more missing one another, and people easily knows what the other have and get so jealous easily. this kind of attitude brings about negativity to everyone and indeed, people are becoming strangers.

gone are the times where people use snail mail to communicate, long distance phone is expensive so contact is so minimal, transportation is limited so visitation is so not often.. this makes people miss each other and once they had the opportunity to meet... it's a celebration.

your story about your aunt waving and blowing kisses is just insanity.

6. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    People are going nuts. Either they're going off their meds, switching their meds or need meds. There just seems to be more and more stories about people who lose it and people who clearly are not stable enough to be out in the public. I think they need to stop shutting down mental hospitals. Maybe open mental hospitals that have a positive outlook and not a crazy "One Flew Over the Cookoo's Nest" kind of outlook.

7. spacetimecontinuum

spacetimecontinuumMember

Threads:
    There's no money to be made in running mental, hospitals which are ACTUALLY effective and treat people with dignity, the money is made in keeping people drugged up to the gills.

It's all about Big Pharma, the biggest and most insidious drug dealers in the world.

8. jneanz

jneanzActive Member

Threads:
    She was not the traditional type and so I blasted classic rock at the funeral home, and posted all her pictures all over. We did laugh and engage in the "remember whens".

That was once a tradition with Louisiana funerals where there was very festive music played in the street during precession. Not sure if this is part of the state tradition or Creole culture but I saw it on TV long ago.

My family is NOT Creole or from Louisiana so I don't know what her problem was. However, I would be grateful (hopefully from heaven :)) if my loved ones played music or roasted me because I am a character at times. It just that I think funerals, in general,are about honoring the deceased and not me.

9. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    YouTube is proof that people are getting weirder. On the internet, I have seen a girl eat her own used tampon, a guy allow himself to be shot in the testicles and various people poop and pee in malls and other public places. I don't know if people just lack shame or if they are desperate to get views on the internet, but people have gotten more depraved and weird.

10. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The world, and the people in it, is definitely getting weirder. I do think that these days, people are willing to do anything to get their five minutes of fame. Life is also getting more stressful and I wonder if some people cave in to the pressure and go crazy.

11. Nikkishea21

Nikkishea21Member

Threads:
    This story has left me wondering what kind of wife she was. The norm for wives at husband's funeral is to be so overwhelmed with grief that they usually have to be consoled but others. How is it that she is taking the death of her husband so lightly, something is definitely off here. Let us say that for some reason she may be stronger than the others and is able to compose herself, but do so with some level of dignity and out of respect for those who are not as strong as you and mourns his loss. She was being extremely rude and that could not happen where I am from, the moment she stepped out of that limo and blew that kiss she would have something else blowing her way. Things of lesser extremity have been known to wreck funerals here as there is a thin line between grief and anger.

12. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    The funeral story seemed kinda odd. What she did is definitely so inappropriate and so out of place. I'd say she was overwhelmed of the whole limo thing she probably thought for a second she's walking on a red carpet instead of attending a funeral. That's kind of silly thing to do in a funeral. She needs to get a hold of a book in 'proper etiquette in attending a funeral'. :p

13. SHead

SHeadBanned

Threads:
    LOL I am new to this forum, and I have to say this topic made me laugh, as I was chatting to a friend about how strange people are the other day. Thank you for the chuckle. :D

14. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think people are bursting out of their shells, to be honest and this thread is proving exactly what I mean. We've all grown up with all these unspoken rules, nevermind the billions of spoken rules. Devolving?? Hardly.. we're evolving at bullet speeds now and in the process, everyone is breaking away from the "traditional" forced upon us rules that we were once held down to with suffocating pressure. Now we're allowed to be ourselves and some people can't handle it. So we're supposed to go back to prim and proper for appearances sake, so people think we're from old money? Or maybe further back where murder was a part of a nutritious breakfast? Further back, where we died from tooth decay or broken bones and clubbed each other over the heads for some rape? I don't think anyone would call us devolved if they lived in any other time before now.. every single generation has said it since the first people, I'm sure. What that really means is, "you don't live like I do, so I'm uncomfortable and dislike you for it" lol.

15. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    People have always been strange. I just think that in the world of social media and YouTube it's becoming far more obvious to people. That said, I think people might now be more willing to bring their weirdness to the world because there are more obvious reference points around and in many cases more social acceptability than there was even a few decades ago.

16. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I get what you're saying but what about the internet videos of people setting endangered turtles on fire, or pooping into a mall fountain, or eating a used tampon? There are some people that seem to have gotten weirder. Before viral videos, I didn't know there was that much public pooping going on.

17. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Human nature can surprise us all the time. I do find people more about 'now' and a sense of entitlement and people aren't willing to wait or they have no respect for others. The other day a youth walked past us as he was looking at his phone and bumped into my dad who has a walking stick and is old and he swore at my dad all the way down the street yelling. People have no manners anymore. I was on the train and my case fell over and touched a man and I said sorry and he pulled a face and sighed and I said,"What more can I do except say sorry?" Everyone looked at him and he nodded because these things happen.

All we can do is accept people are different, amusing at times or shocking.

18. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There will always be sick people. Or maybe.... human nature has been so sucked out of us, this is the consequence.. mental illness. It's hard to stay sane these days.. so kudos to those of us who can stand on our feet and plow through this world, but I don't really misunderstand the rest. Not condoning anything, just wondering "out loud" where it comes from. Humans are animals after all.. look at caged animals in a zoo. Don't let them be animals and they get depressed or go insane.

I'm not even sure I'm making sense to myself right now lol...

#18Jan 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2015