Are phones with physical keyboards still in?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by lindbergh • Oct 8, 2013.

1. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I had a Nokia 3210 before and its physical keyboard allowed me to create text messages even without looking at the phone. Now, I purely have touch screen devices with no physical keyboard. Do you think that phones with physical keyboard ate slowly fading away? Or are they still in?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    They will lose a lot if they take out physical keypads. I have an Android right now and I despise it because there is no keypad. I gave it a shot, but it's the worst for texting on. I would rather go without a phone or go back to landline.

3. justusforus

justusforusActive Member

Threads:
    I don't like a fake keyboard, in fact all keyboards on phones are irritating. They are too small and difficult to use. I type very fast on a "real" keyboard but the phones throw me off. Back to your question, I doubt keyboards will go away entirely. The touch keyboards and everything wrapped in the one screen have too much of a chance for failure if anything goes wrong. Phones have become playthings more than for work. It used to be that professionals wanted them to keep in touch more, but I dont like to have that much contact following me. Sorry for the rant!

4. mccanono

mccanonoMember

Threads:
    Same here!

When I am driving and I need to send a text message to somebody, I can easily do it with my Nokia phone which has a keypad. But with my iPhone, I might crash if i'll send a text message while driving.

So the bottom line, I still prefer phones with keypads for texting. But when it comes to other stuff, such as playing games and watching movies, of course, I prefer a touch phone. :)

5. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    They are still available to consumers but people who like to keep with trends and the ever hanging world still prefer to use the touchscreen. There will always be a certain population of the world that will always prefer to have a keyboard on their phone so for that reason I would have to say that as long as companies fall continue making these phones, they will definitely be flying off the shelves. I feel like this applies the most to the older populations of the world such as perhaps my parents,etc.

6. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You might crash regardless. This is why someone needs to come up with something that turns cells off when on the road. I don't know how many times I've almost been killed by a texter behind the wheel. Pull over or wait till you get to where you're going.

7. lindbergh

Threads:
    True, you should not be texting while driving because it's pretty dangerous - even if you have a phone with a physical keypad. When you drive and you really need to converse with someone at a phone, then the safest way to do that would be to call that person and not just converse through text. Use a bluetooth headset for additional safety.

8. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they are slowly fading away I think the last time I saw a physical keyboard was when my mom had her call lol. But even now she has touch screen too.

9. BlackSolaris

BlackSolarisActive Member

Threads:
    Totally agree with you, i prefer phones with keypads because of the feedback i get from pressing the keys, which help me a lot when typing faster than normal. With smartphones you are constantly missing the "keys".

10. lindbergh

Threads:
    I think that they're already researching hard about the technology that would allow touch screens to provide people with tactile feedback. I read an article before about that sort of thing. This technology would allow us to feel different sensations when touching the screen which would probably be possible by sending different vibrations to the skin. I hope that they would be able to develop this technology soon.

11. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yikes. I'll be done with smartphones if they do away with the keypad, but that makes it even worse lol.. I wouldn't even think about using it.

12. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I think this is true. I rarely see phone designs with a full physical keyboard, and they don't seem to be trendy enough to be picked up by the masses. I could see why though, as it doesn't really look that cool compared to sleeker and thinner phones. I personally still prefer ones with a full keyboard, but to be honest, I haven't really seen one with a design that I like while still having a powerful enough hardware.

13. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think they are becoming more and more obsolete as Google and Apple roll out more voice commands and voice recognition on their phones. Physical keyboards just add bulk to phones (for slide outs) or worse yet, take up screen real estate as in the case of Blackberry phones. There are other ways to enter in content beyond just typing it in via keyboard, so they are not as necessary anymore. Also, there are a number of on screen keyboards you can install and swap out to find the one that works best for you. Sometimes just a slight difference in key size and spacing can make all the difference.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Phones with physical keyboards are still in, although they're now being overshadowed by touch screen phones. I personally prefer phones with keyboards or keypads. They make texting easier and faster. Touchscreen phones are just suitable for browsing the net.