Are products really needed or are we just looking for that quick fix?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by dieselfit • Dec 11, 2013.

1. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    I know for a fact that products out there for health and beauty are just another way for companies to make millions from unknowing people. I mean think back to times when we didn't depend on chemicals and just things that were straight from mother nature like extracts from plants and such. I'm not talking about singing "Oh-ba-ya"while we smash up some leaves in a plate. But if our diets were much better than it is today (no fast food, only mother nature's food), wouldn't there be a less of a demand for these 'fake' products that are merely just made up of chemicals and lab-made ingredients?

2. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    You say this but a lot of these products have proven results from positive testing. I agree that a lot are quite unnecessary but to say they are 'fake' is an overstatement when they have proven results. You say that we use to just use mother-nature, but the way we do things now actually give better results in comparison. I don't think demand would be much less because people like labels and they like luxury products.

3. dreamseer

dreamseerMember

Threads:
    I think a lot of products people buy are unnecessary. In our family we tend to keep it simple as far as products go. you really don't need 10 different bottles of lotion or shampoo.
    Eating healthy and drinking plenty of good fresh water is the best thing you can do for your skin and overall health.

4. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    Drinking plenty of water is the #1 top tip you could give.

Water is essential to our body and it really does help to keep your skin looking fresh and clean.

5. Daria

DariaMember

Threads:
    When I think about beauty product my mind swims. The make up isles are long and complicated. They seem to have a something for everything. The thing is, I only notice a difference in some of them. Plus, I do not even wear makeup unless it is a special occasion. The healthy make up costs three times more than the other junk.

6. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    I believe most people, especially females, could clear out half of their beauty products and still look attractive. Many times, what manufacturers sell is a dream. It's one in which a certain hair color or perfume changes the conditions of a person's life. She's more popular with friends or gets her fantasy man. Of course, in reality, none of this is true, but it's a very effective way to sell 'junk' to the masses.

7. Kaylah

KaylahActive Member

Threads:
    Some products work and some don't. Many have been proven to work, while others have been proven not to work. I know that conditioner is a product that I absolutely NEED. Without it, my hair would always be a tangled mess. There are natural alternatives for some products, and some natural products are better than products that aren't natural. People take vitamins and sometimes vitamins aren't 100% natural, but they are an important addition to many people's diets.

8. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:

Assuming what you just told me is true, it has proven results, but what about the side effects for both long and short term? Sure something that's proven will give you what it's proven to do, but should we just assume everything else will be okay too?

Take a look at fat burners that's sold as supplements, they prove to burn fat. But they don't tell you that it also proves to cause heart attacks, anxiety, high blood pressure, stress, nervousness, depression, etc.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but just because it gives better results or something we just see "instantly" or "faster", it doesn't make it the best choice. I could go ahead and get anti-aging cream, or I can correct my rotten diet that seems to be causing me to age faster. Which one will deliver 'faster' results? Clearly the cream would but it doesn't make it the best choice.

9. rossonomous

rossonomousActive Member

Threads:
    You are almost entirely correct. We should not buy products at face value or because we have simply seen them in an expensive advertisement. We should purchase products depending on a mixture of proven results and research done into positive/negative affects.

Lets be honest, you don't hear that many stories about the woman whose face doubled in size due to side affects of a facial cream. There may be irritation in the short term but generally it is just that.

If you look at the example that you have given being fat burners then it is a bit more tricky. Again, you're correct in saying that just because we see something working at face value doesn't mean we should trust it. But, with proper research and application of common sense, the negative factors that you mentioned can easily be avoided. Most products (as a standard legality) must warn consumers of the potential risks when using these products. Most fat burner products will also notify the consumer that they must have a medical consult before proceeding to use the product. I'm a true believer that fat burner products are completely unnecessary and that people should simply eat well and exercise regularly.

Unfortunately, the current generations only want the 'faster' results, and unfortunately, they are happy to pay for it.

10. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    You bring up valid points which I can agree with. I agree that there's no cream that will give that much of a difference in side effects in people who use them. I think more and more creams and products are needed due to the demand of people who just want the quick results. This is very unfortunate and they would pay for it as you said, and this would probably cause people to forget the real and natural way to stay young, healthy looking. It's really too bad how and what we've become due to these advertisements and beliefs that products are the only way to go for best results.

11. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Well I think anti-acne products are definitely needed, but maybe some beauty products are unnecessary for some people and necessary for others, it really depends on the person. And I think that they are effective, since people won't buy them unless they don't work.

12. dieselfit

dieselfitActive Member

Threads:
    Yes some products like anti-acne can be useful for those with that problem. I've tried swimming at the beach, since I live on one, and I've noticed my skin clearer than ever. I did some research and found that salt water from the sea has actually been a remedy for all kinds of skin problems since hundreds of years ago. It goes way back and that's why I bring up the question on the products we have today. We've never had so many skin problems until we've been provided with the fast foods and such things that just ruin our health.