Are puzzle books worth it?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by andrew320 • Dec 10, 2012.

1. andrew320

andrew320Active Member

Threads:
    I admit it, I love doing puzzles, especially crosswords. But I found at the dollar store, there are a ton of books that have endless puzzles. This weekend, though, I went to the Indigo bookstore and found this gigantic and Neat puzzle book that had a variety of puzzles for $8 (or three for $20). I was tempted at buying it but I thought of the dollar store book (talk about self-restraint). Anyway, what do you think?

2. LovelyLanie

LovelyLanieMember

Threads:
    You should go for the Indigo deal in my opinion. I don't personally do puzzles but my sister is a real fanatic over them and she bought a couple of the dollar store crossword books and she didn't enjoy them as much as the more expensive ones. When I asked her what the difference was she said something about the challenge level of them. I guess if you've done them as long and as often as she does, they get too easy over time.

3. Treighsie

TreighsieActive Member

Threads:
    I think the books are worth it. It's something that keeps your mind challenged. And i agree, the dollar store ones just aren't as hard. Of course, they're still good to have!

4. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I think they're worth it if you enjoy puzzles/keeping your mind engaged with things. I understand when things are comparable going for the lower priced one, but I tend to think that the $8 one would likely be bigger/filled with more interesting puzzles/etc. and I would eprsonally go for it :).

5. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love puzzles! I loved puzzle books when I was a kid and I love them now. I like puzzles because they are so clever and they really require you to use logic. However, I'm guilty at peeking at the solution if I'm not able to get the answer to a puzzle. Nevertheless, puzzle books would always have a place in my heart.

6. Anna Blush

Anna BlushActive Member

Threads:
    I personally feel if you are someone who enjoys thinking and playing these types of games in your free time then puzzle books are definitely worth it. I guess it is up to each person and their interests because someone who can't stand crosswords would never buy a puzzle book unless they were giving it as a gift.

7. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, if your into puzzle books why not make the investment. I have a brother who likes puzzle books and does them every afternoon. It takes him awhile to get through one puzzle book, so they can be worth the money. Although, I am still a firm believer that if you can get something at a dollar store why pay retail for it, unless this is a different type of puzzle books that are found in the other location. Another suggestion would be what my brother has done and that is get a subscription with the puzzles books that you like. This can save you money and give you the new issues as they come out.

8. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    I love doing samurai sudoku puzzles - the ones with 5 interlocking grids - but I don't buy books. I print them off websites. It may not be worth it for crosswords, because the black squares might use too much ink to make it economical to print them off, but for sudokus and other word puzzles, you can print off a lot of puzzles for a dollar, and on

, you can also choose the degree of difficulty.

9. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    Just like anything else, it depends on your prioritites. If you can get say, 4 hours of entertainment out of the 8 dollar book. Well you are paying $2.00 per hour of entertainment. That's pretty cheap compared to some alternatives.

10. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I used to get the Dell Pencil Puzzles and Word Games booklets quite often when I was young. As much as I like doing those puzzles I think $8 is a bit steep for something like that. Sure it's entertaining and you can even consider it brainercise, but it's not like the books are reusable (for the same purpose).

11. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I think the big puzzle books are worth it. The people who compiled them worked hard at making sure they were challenging and fun and you do get hours of entertainment out of them. They are also stimulating and will help keep your mind sharp. I hope you do save up and get the bigger one the next time you feel like splurging.

12. MakingCents

MakingCentsActive Member

Threads:
    I also like the books you can buy that have several different puzzles. Like some sudoku pages, some word searches, some crosswords etc. Keeps it interesting.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm the type that buys something immediately if I see something that I want and I could afford it, so I would just buy those puzzle books if I were you. But if you want to check out the dollar store first before buying the one that you saw in Indigo bookstore then it's your choice, go with what you feel is the right choice.

14. mrsgeedee

mrsgeedeeActive Member

Threads:
    I love puzzles when I was a kid. My aunt kept on buying me those stuffs since she was so amazed I can solve all of it in just a short time. Anyway, it's always worth it if you buy puzzle books especially if it's your hobby.

15. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    Why don't you do them online? That is what my bro does. He is so crazy about puzzles. I am not that crazy, the local newspaper is enough for me.

16. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    That is a good idea. It is sometimes hard to find the books where I live and the puzzles I like best are not the ones that are featured most in the books. That means there are several pages that are left untouched by me. In that sense, the books might not be worth it.