Are reality shows here to stay?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by SpringBreeze • Dec 18, 2013.

1. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    It feels like there's nothing but reality shows being aired today. Just when I think they couldn't add a new one, they do. Now we have a show on rodeo girls. :confused: How long do you think this wave will last? Or do you think they are here to stay?

2. charahome

charahomeMember

Threads:
    I certainly hope that people will get over this fad soon. I dislike reality shows. They are meaningless, have no reason to be watched, and provide little to the human creativity and imagination.

If they were documentaries, that only last one episode, then good. However, to go on and on about this or that one, is shameless. Who cares, if the Kardashians, or Honey boo boo, went to the zoo.. I dont.

3. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    I think that reality show are here to stay. They are making money off these shows no matter crazy they are. I agree they are taking over the TV network. Some of the shows are interesting and some are not, the show producers know the mess, fights, or any seduction is what the TV viewers want to see. Something like when they use to make Dallas or Soap Operas they know viewer want to see juicy stuff sad but true. They are here to stay

4. clairebeautiful

clairebeautifulActive Member

Threads:
    I keep thinking they are going to die, but here's the thing, there will always be a "rising generation" of reality show watchers.

Everything old becomes new again with each new class of rising teenagers. Think about it.

It seems like good books die much quicker than good TV shows - but I will add that certain genres of books seem to be standing the test of time (like vampire love) and I think the same is true of TV. Maybe the SAME shows won't be around forever, but I do think the same TYPE of shows will.

5. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think that reality shows are definitely here to stay, but not all reality shows are crap, since the ones that started the trend like Survivor and The Amazing Race are quality reality shows. I think that Nicole Richie and Paris Hilton's reality show set the trend of crappy reality shows that proliferate the small screen today.

#5Dec 19, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  6. deansaliba

deansalibaActive Member

Threads:
    I'm afraid they are not going away any time soon. I loath them with a passion, it is nothing more than cheap voyeurism. One of the best shows on the BBC was cancelled recently because they put it up against I'm a Celebrity Get me Out of Here and it didn't beat them in the ratings - I have no idea what the BBC was expecting!!

7. Grumpy

GrumpyActive Member

Threads:
    I do think they are here to stay, purely because time after time they draw in viewers, votes & money. There's always a reality TV show on air, whether it be on BBC or ITV. There's always something going on, and there's always people using their money to vote for their favourite contestants, always watching the shows and providing money for the advertising companies. There's always something going on and these reality shows are always making money, so yes, that's the exact reason why they're here to stay.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    It's definitely here to stay. Mostly because they are incredibly cheaper to produce and the stars in it don't have to be paid even nearly as much as "professional actors", but also the profits returned can be just as much as any scripted show. Additionally, since there are infinitely a lot more channels nowadays than there were 10 or 20 years ago, there's also a lot more air time to fill, and these can be churned out way faster than a scripted show, and like I said, the gamble isn't as risky.

9. jbepp

jbeppMember

Threads:
    Most people like to watch reality shows so I guess they're here to stay. I absolutely hate reality shows because most of the time the content is stupid and I'd rather have something that's actually worth watching, like a good movie or a good documentary.

10. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    As long as viewers still demand it then yes it is here to stay. Personally I don't get what's the attraction of such shows. I don't know but sometimes I think some of them are fake, the contestants are actors.

11. SpringBreeze

SpringBreezeActive Member

Threads:
    These are really great points DrRipley. From a business standpoint, I can totally see why TV stations are flooding us with them. Wow, it makes so much sense now. The stars are paid less. The producers don't have to create sets because stars use their own homes, cars, and furniture. Which also means studio spaces doesn't have to be used or rented. I'm guessing the stars also provide their own wardrobe and later get them free from designers who want to promote their line. Hair and make-up is probably also left to the stars. Wow, what a brilliant concept. Bad for us, but great for them.

I wonder how professional actors feel about this?