Are Rice Cookers Really Worth It?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by Colebra • Aug 19, 2015.

1. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I just suck at cooking rice... (I actually suck at cooking period)
    But it gets really boring always eating the same stuff.
    So I'm thinking about buying one of these babies...

First of all, do you guys think they are worth the extra buck?
    I had someone say that the rice really doesn't taste that well when it's cooked on one of these.

Would I save any precious time by using one?

How much should I be willing to spend on one?

Thanks for the wisdom gang! Take care

2. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    Hi! We eat rice on a daily basis. For me, there is no difference in the taste in cooking rice in the stove or the rice cooker. I must say that rice cooked in the rice cooker is even better because there is no risk in overcooking or undercooking it. It is automatic and will not be burned unlike in a regular stove. It is also easier as you would not need to be there all the time unlike in cooking rice in the stove where you have to remove the lid when it overflows. For the price, I think even the affordable rice cookers do well. We have ours for a while now and it is not even the expensive one.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of my nephew who works in Hongkong. He just had a business trip to Japan and bought a rice cooker there worth 40,000 pesos or roughly $1,000. What a very expensive rice cooker. But he said the rice tasted different with that rice cooker and even lasts for 3 days without getting spoiled. I really cannot come to terms with so very expensive cookwares.

4. MyDigitalpoint

MyDigitalpointActive Member

Threads:
    I love rice but I rarely cook it because I'm not good at doing it. Even though a rice cooker is not in my wishlist as opposed to many other kitchen appliances I would like, including the silly hot dogs maker.

Even though I believe buying one is a good investment for someone who cooks rice on a frequent basis, as long as it doesn't cost $1,000! Certainly somewhat expensive that one of your nephew!

I have been invited to dinner in place where a rice cooker was used, and I don't think this appliance changes the taste of rice, really.

5. Briannagodess

BriannagodessActive Member

Threads:
    That is one expensive rice cooker lol! I think when it comes to the taste of rice it depends on what kind of rice you bought. If it is the expensive ones, the dinorado, which we buy, it tastes more delicious than the cheaper NFA rice. It does not really depend on the cooker, well for me at least.

6. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I really suck at cooking rice on the stove, it always turns out to be mushy. We do have a rice cooker which I do not use as it is not mine, my daughter makes the rice in the cooker and it comes out perfect all the time. We can have the rice in the refrigerator for days and still use it at different meals during the week. My rice is wasted time and food because it is mushy. Although I do not use the cooker I think it is worth the money if your rice turns out like mine when I cook rice.

7. turtledove

turtledoveMember

Threads:
    I think it depends on how much you eat rice. If you don't eat rice much, then I wouldn't recommend buying a rice cooker at all, as a good one would be a little pricey, and if you don't use it, it's basically a waste of money. But, if you do eat rice regularly, I think they're a lot easier. They save you a lot of time and effort - you don't have to watch the rice as much as you would if you were cooking it on a stove. As well as this, the rice will always come out better in a rice cooker - it'll be less mushy and less like a clump, and more like actual grains of rice. So basically I think rice cookers are a great idea if you regularly eat rice.

8. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    If it were me - I really couldn't warrant the expense even though I cook rice at least a 2 or 3 times a week - in fact if I didn't already have them - I'd prefer a pressure cooker or microwave over a rice-cooker any day.

To be honest - as there is absolutely no difference in flavor between rice cooked on a stove to that done in a rice cooker - I really can't see any benefits to owning one - other than convenience - particularly as - they don't automatically guarantee that you will get perfect rice - for the simple reason - that as you still have to get the measurements right - you will get exactly the same undesirable results as you would with any other method of cooking rice - if you don't.

Another thing to bear in mind - is that they not the best option from an energy saving point of view - particularly as - the majority of rice cookers generally take around 40 – 45 mins to cook white rice - which when compared to 20 mins on a stove top or even less if done in a pressure cooker or microwave - is considerably more.

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think I'd ever be interested in buying a rice cooker, as I don't struggle to cook rice on the hob. I saw one for the first time a few years ago when a friend invited me round for dinner. The rice didn't taste any different. I wouldn't pay a penny towards a rice cooker, and that one worth $1 000 made my eyes water LOL I wonder what else it can do?!

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    I cook a lot of rice. I only cook rice on the stove in a pot. I hear what others are saying that making rice can be a difficult thing to do. Either too much water or not enough and you also to make sure not to burn the rice by letting it boil too long. To make sure I have the right amount of water, I put my finger in and if it's to my first knuckle above the rice I know I have the right amount of water. It always works. My mother's uses a rice cooker and swears by it. I would say if you are having trouble making rice a rice cooker is good investment.

11. Colebra

ColebraActive Member

Threads:
    I'm looking at some rice cookers going for €40. That sounds reasonable...

But this sucks:

Do all you guys confirm that it takes so long?
    I'd really rather eat my horrible mushy rice...

Another thing I didn't ask is:

What's the deal with adding vegetables to the rice?
    Like, can I put some chopped carrots on the rice cooker?

12. tasxx

tasxxMember

Threads:
    I think it's so worth it to get a rice cooker because it makes cooking more hands free. I find that I like to babysit my food that i'm cooking when it's a meat or a vegetable but not with my carbs. I really can't seem to make white rice perfectly so I just bought a cheap $20 rice cooker the other day.

13. Sunshine703

Sunshine703Active Member

Threads:
    I would say rice cookers are always handy and worth having around really. At one point in my family, we used to eat rice everyday and the rice made in the rice cooker tastes great. It really depends on the amount of water you use more then the actual cooker itself because more or less water could lead to either dry or soggy rice so you really have to find the balance. Then you will have awesome tasting rice with just a push of a button. Always a convenience because then you can cook dishes to go with the rice.

If I wanted to spend money on a good rice cooker... I'd probably get a Japanese one around $100 something because these type of things I don't tend to go cheap. They last a really long time and by long time, I mean LONG TIME. I have my rice cooker now that's still working and I think it's almost 20 years old and still operating. It's still cooking great tasting rice and never had any issues with it. Knowing how long it's gonna last, you might as well spend a bit more on something you like and has a variety of function so that you won't be just cooking rice on it, maybe other stuff too. I've never used a cheap rice cooker so I wouldn't know the difference but you can never go wrong with Japanese ones, they're brilliant.

And remember, if you really take care of it, it could last the rest of your life to be honest. I'm getting a new one not because mines broken, it's just because I honestly think it's about time I get rid of it. They'll literally never break unless you abuse it...

14. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    If you cook rice daily then personally I think it's much more practical to just have a rice cooker. The quality of the rice when cooked isn't that much different from when cooked on a stove and it's even better since you won't have to deal with the rice sticking to the bottom of the pot and also the convenience of the timer allows you to just leave your rice to cook while you do something else. I don't know much about the best types or brands to get though but I think if you're going to be using it daily then it's best to get something that will last even if it's more expensive.

15. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This reminds me of my first try in cooking rice in a pot. I was really nervous because my husband is meticulous when it comes to food. His standard is so high when it comes to sanitation and quality of food. But I really tried my best, not telling him that it was my first try. Guess what? Well, the rice was... brown, wahuhuhu. And we got to know that when we smelled something a-burning. What an embarrassment. So I'd say a rice cooker is a good investment.

16. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Rice cookers and stove-top rice take the exact same amount of time because the same processes are performed. The water is heated to boiling, and then the rice is simmered for 15-20 minutes, and then it's ready. Rice cookers come in handy because you don't have to do anything except hit a single button. Every step after that is taken care of by the rice cooker, and that's why they're so popular. It's as simple as that.

17. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't own a Rice cooker, I don't really think it's that essential. I'm fine with cooking rice in a regular pan at the oven. However, my mom and my grandmother swear by it. I think if you're not good with cooking rice, it would be a good purchase for you. Because it has a timer and it will turn off on its own my mom and my grandmother swear by it. I think if you're not good with cooking rice, it would be a good purchase for you. It has a timer and it will turn off on its own, and that helps a lot if you don't have practice with the regular pan.

18. Diane Lane

Diane LaneWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This is actually something I have considered recently. I never thought it was necessary, since I didn't cook or eat rice all that much, but I've been using it more these days, so am thinking about buying a rice cooker. I never even heard of one until I moved down here to Texas, and many people here use them. I'll have to look around to see what the prices are, versus continuing to cook it on the stovetop. I don't have an issue with how my rice comes out, but I do sometimes have difficulty hanging around my tiny kitchen long enough to stir it as much as it needs to be stirred/watched over.

19. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes you can do that and although it greatly depends on the type of rice cooker as well as the model - its possible to do anything from steaming vegetables to making risotto - in fact some of the more sophisticated models can be used in almost the same way as an electric pressure cooker.

Although the time it takes - tends to vary depending on make and model - with some of the less expensive ones taking longer than their more expensive counterparts - I would just add - that its also worth bearing in mind - unlike when cooking rice on a stove - where no power is needed during the standing time - as a rice cooker needs to remain plugged in throughout the whole process - meaning for both the cooking and the standing time - it will be using more energy than the conventional method or a stove top pressure cooker

Oh and no need to have to endure mushy rice should you decide not to buy one - particularly as can get exactly the same results as a rice cooker when cooking rice on the stove - so long as you remember - never to stir it or take the lid off the pot once it has started cooking - in fact its real simple - as all you need to do - is put the rice and water in a pot with a lid - bring to the boil - then simmer for 20 - 25 mins on the lowest heat possible - turn the heat off and allow to stand for 30 mins or more - after which time take the lid off - and you will find that you have perfectly cooked rice that is easy to fluff up with a fork.

20. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A $20 to $25 rice cooker is already good enough and can last 5 to 10 years based on our experience. And if you want to eat boiled egg or steam any dish that was stored inside the ref you can just put the dish in a bowl and place it on top of the rice.