Are Screen Protectors Necessary?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Jun 25, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I remember a few years back when I still didn't own a touchscreen device of my own imagining that a screen protector was so necessary that I'd need to purchase one immediately after purchasing the device itself, but as I later found out, the screen is far from being easily scratched or damaged so I never really got to find out how effective or necessary the screen protector really was. As I've said, I've never tried one, but I imagine that the touch screen experience must be lessened to some degree because I think the glass surface included in all touchscreen devices is really the best surface since it was intended to be used in that way. Additionally, I've recently seen one of my relatives' very old iPod Touch that's probably about 5 years old or more and it barely has any damage on the screen, if at all.

Anyone here with screenguards? How does it affect your usage and do you think it's really that necessary for today's gadgets?

2. richc3

richc3Active Member

Threads:
    I've always wondered myself. Personally, I've never thought of it as much of a big deal in terms of my own personal use. However, if you're like me where you buy a phone then re-sell on eBay in due time, even the smallest of scratches can be detrimental to some buyers. I do believe most screen protectors do a reasonable job, even if just to protect your phone from your keys or pocket change, but I wouldn't put too much money into a fancy one.

That said, I have a hard time enjoying the screen when I have a protector on. Sometimes it washes the quality out or your fingers just aren't as smooth as you run it over the screen. Can't say I use one on my Galaxy S4. Had one on my iPhone 5, but it drove me bonkers after awhile.

3. 7zer0z

7zer0zBanned

Threads:
    I use screen protectors. I don't know if they are really necessary because phone screens are pretty scratch resistant these days but they still make me feel less worried about scratching my screen. For only paying a few dollars I think they are worth it.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think we've gone past the point where we need screen protectors for touch screen devices. A few years back, when the screens could easily be damaged, scratched and so on having a screen protector was a necessity but right now, I don't think they are needed. Someone I know is always dropping his smartphone accidentally and though it should have by now been damaged, it works perfectly well.

So if the screen of a phone owned by someone who had a tendency of dropping it almost daily works just fine, I don't suppose that anyone who doesn't subject their touchscreen devices to such rough use, should concern themselves with the screens getting damaged because they're designed to resist it.

5. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I have an Ipod and also a touchscreen phone for years now and there seem fine without the screen protectors. I never tried using one and I don't think I will ever purchase one.

This is all depends on how we look after our gadgets. If we protect the screen but let the whole phone fall then it is going to be damaged still.

6. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I've had one for the smart phone. I didn't really like that it takes away from the touch ability so much. At least mine did. I don't have a stylus. I don't have one now, and honestly, I don't think I would put one back.

On the ipad, I have never had anything and never missed it.

Hubby has a story that you would not believe, I kid you not, his ipad dropped from the top of the mini van while he was going about 30 miles per hour, and keeps going like the duracell bunny, not a clue anything happened. I mean dang, that was some case. It is just a regular black leather case, nothing really thick. I would not recommend testing it tho. I mean american tourister did with luggage, but that was just insane.

7. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have been curious about the value of screen protectors too. I have had my phone for nearly a year and no scratches so far. The smudges are a pain, but can be easily dealt with. There is a shop in the mall near me. They do pretty brisk business.

8. Ruth B.

Ruth B.Active Member

Threads:
    I know I for sure can't find a case for mine, and I'm gonna have to go thru Amazon for it since it's a Pantech Burst and no stores have cases. Everybody thinks it's a downgrade, but for me it's an upgrade I paid one dollar for it, and then I had to pay up the ying yang to get it out of 'hostage' from At@T's freaking contract, so it's paid for, so I'm dang well gonna use it! Plus, I love it and it fits my needs.

Sorry, hope that didn't 'hijack' your thread.

9. Broadleaf

BroadleafMember

Threads:
    I don't use screen protectors, but I do use a type of film that blocks light coming from the phone so that the light won't distract my eyes when I sleep. Normal screen protectors just aren't worth it for me, the average consumer,

10. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I think that touch screens are more durable these days than they were in the past. Often I see phones falling down with no visible damage, not even scratches, and they don't have screen protectors. With that being said, I'm using protectors for my mobile devices, like the tablet. For the few bucks that I pay on a cheap protector I make sure that my tablet's screen survives the rougher times since I take it with me on my travels quite often.

11. dustysmommy2013

dustysmommy2013Active Member

Threads:
    I think it all depends on your job. I do not have one on mine and have never had any issues or had to worry about my screen cracking. The only danger my phone is in is from little toddler hands but he isn't allowed to be on my phone unsupervised because of all the things that could happen if he was left alone with it! My husband, on the other hand, felt like a screen guard was necessary. With his line of work, he needs to protect his phone as much as possible. We got him a sturdy phone case that came with a screen guard (it was on sale at amazon so SCORE) and he has come home many times saying that if it wasn't for the case/screen guard, he wouldn't have a phone anymore.

12. Ridge

RidgeMember

Threads:
    It depends largely on the person...

I dropped my last phone several times and broke it badly.. My new phone has a case and a screen protector.

13. MindyT

MindyTActive Member

Threads:
    I have a screen protector on my phone right now. I don't think that it is necessary, but I don't think it is worthless. It helps me keep my phone clean. I am not a dirty person, but I use my phone alot. I don't want any grease or oil from my fingers on the actual screen. I don't think they cost a ton of money either. Now my husband, on the other hand, he thinks they are absolutely necessary. He makes me put one on my phone and my son's phone. However, he does work in a factory so I understand where he is coming from for his belief.

14. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never removed the screen protector of my phone when I bought it. I think it helps to protect your phone from natural wear and tear that results to scratches you know? Some people don't think they're necessary, but I think that it won't hurt to have one, you know? Besides, they're pretty cheap anyway, so might as well buy one.

15. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    When touchscreen phones had just come out screen protectors used to be very necessary. I remember being afraid to put my phone in my pocket because my screen would immediately be damaged by keys or coins. A few years later touchscreen phones had become a whole lot more robust. I had a touchscreen phone for about four years and the screen was still as good as new. And drop this one on numerous occasions and still not even one scratch on the phone. So if you have a good touchscreen phone a screen protector will not be necessary.

16. markbravo

markbravoNew Member

Threads:

I think screen protectors are absolutely needed. we can never be too vigilant with out phones so most of us are dropping them all the time or getting scratches from sources unknown. It ends up messing with the display of the screen and its touch responsiveness too. what I perceive as a perfect screen protector is something that is easy to install, is resistant to scratches and doesn't obtrude with the clarity or the responsiveness of the screen. But that being said, spending a lot of money on a screen protector seems almost nonsensical because we are constantly changing our phones. That's why I opted to buying good quality screen protectors off of ebay and I found the products crafted to my liking. The one I'm using on my iphone 5 is "Gearmaxx" and it is a nice investment. Really cheap but works just fine. I'd advise people to use Gearmaxx screen protectorson their screens. :)

17. Navii

NaviiActive Member

Threads:
    I don't think they are necessary anymore for most phones. There still are a few with very fragile displays, but most newer phones are robust enough to resist keys or coins in pockets. I used to have a screen protector on my Samsung Galaxy Ace but now that I have a Sony Xperia SP I don't use one anymore because I'm content it won't get scratches from my pockets and if I'm using it, I always try to make sure I don't drop it.

18. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    It does vary.

For the average person, I don't think it's necessary.

For the person who tosses their phone in their purse mindlessly where all sorts of stuff can scratch up against it? It might be helpful. For the parent who often has their toddler playing on the phone? Could be helpful!

19. fivebyfive

fivebyfiveNew Member

Threads:
    If you're talking about for the iPhone -- honestly I'm not sure if it's because of the way that I'm handling it or the fact that the glass is "gorilla" glass and coated with a covering but I have never scratched my screen once. I absolutely hate screen protectors and most of them cause more issues than they help while trying to apply them. It's kind of super annoying.

20. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I buy high quality smartphones, AKA the flagship devices (HTC One, iPhone, Galaxy S, G, etc.), and they absolutely DO NOT need screen protectors. The screens are build with durability and quality in mind, so the protectors are unnecessary. Most phones will survive a fall on concrete without breaking the screens unless dropped on the diagonal corners. Plus, a screen protector won't protect against a fall anyways. I've keep keys and other things in my pockets with my unprotected phones, and the screens never get knicked or scratched. You're okay without a screen protector.