Are Smart TVs Worth It?

Discussion in Computers, Electronics & Gadgets started by DrRipley • Apr 28, 2014.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm thinking of buying a new TV, and I saw that I could get a smart TV instead for just a little over a hundred dollars more. Now I'm trying to decide on whether or not I should spend that extra hundred dollars on a smart TV or if I should just use that to maybe buy a netbook or cheap tablet and hook it up to my TV instead and I'd get to at least do more on it.

Also, from what I understand, I don't think that I can't use a bluetooth keyboard with a smart TV either, because it doesn't have bluetooth, so I'm really leaning towards just buying a separate gadget instead so I at least could use a wireless keyboard. What do you guys think? Are smart TVs worth it, or is it better to just hook up a separate device and gain more functionality?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've had one for a couple months now, and honestly I still don't know if it was worth it! The quality is awesome, the features are cool... however you could simply connect a HDMI cable from your computer to your TV to watch whatever you're watching on your computer at the TV. However, I'm not going to say it's not convenient to be able to access Youtube and Netflix directly from my TV! It's not necessary, but it helps when you just want to lay down at the couch in front of the TV but be online at the same time. As this TV was very little more expensive than a regular TV (it was on a great sale!), I totally think it was worth it!!

3. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I say you save your extra hundred dollars and go buy something else with it, yes Smart TV's are cool, its has a lot of features a normal TV doesn't have but the problem is, well, if you're not going to be using those extra features that often, well, you're better off with a regular one. The features are nice, but they're not essential.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I too, would have to cast my vote against getting yourself a smart TV for the reasons already stated and the fact that the extra money you could spend could be used for something else which will have more long-term benefits than a smart TV. So it's best to buy a regular TV and wait for the prices of smart TVs to go down because eventually they will.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Thanks for sharing your insight. I had a feeling that all I would be able to do on it was play Youtube videos, seeing as Netflix isn't available here, and I'm still not completely sure if that convenience is worth an extra hundred dollars. Although, at least, it's much clearer to me now what I should expect on getting and what I'll potentially be spending on, so thanks again!

Yeah, you have a point. I actually started considering it because the prices have already gone down, though, but you're right, I guess it will still go down some more in the future. I've still not decided yet, but thanks to everyone who has shared opinions so far, and I still welcome more in this thread so feel free to leave your thoughts to help me or possibly any other member who comes across this thread. Thanks again guys!

6. lovemwaf

lovemwafActive Member

Threads:
    I think that a smart tv is reaaly nice and cool and i think that it really adds something to a television. I would say that if you dont really watch a tv that much, then you would not see it greatly. But if you spend a lot of your time watch a tv, then it is definitely a great option for you to consider and would enhance your viewing experience.

7. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not sure if they already are or not, but they need to ensure that these "smart tv's" are upgradeable. I don't want to have to buy a new smart tv every time some new service comes out which isn't supported by my existing smart tv, or an existing service such as Netflix starts offering some newer things that don't fit within the version of Netflix that is stored on my TV. These TV's should be able to periodically connect to the internet and install updates on themselves, similar to how traditional computers work. Most of the streaming media devices I've owned to date didn't do this, and were more or less treated like throwaway machines.

8. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Wow, excellent point. I haven't even thought about that before but you're right. The one I'm currently looking into buying seems to be running on Android so I think that is probably a good thing, but your right that I really have to make sure that they at least can be updated. I'm going to have to look into it more since I don't want to buy a smart tv only to have it get outdated Ina year or two.