Are There Health Benefits Of A Low Carb Diet?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by rares209 • Mar 11, 2015.

1. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    Right now I'm in a cutting phase so this means I've lowered my calories intake and my carbs intake also. It was hard in the first few weeks, but now my body got used to this process and I'm feeling better. But I was wondering if there are any health benefits of a low carb diet.

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Only if the carbs you were eating before were from processed foods. We need carbs, end of story. The most important thing as that you get them from real, whole foods. They are not the devil. Far from it.

3. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Carbohydrates is there for a reason, meaning it's needed by your body. In fact having very low of it might instead harm your body and well-being. So it taken in moderation is not harmful, but it taking either in excess or in deficit is very harmful. If you are having a low carb diet, there'd be really not much a bad effect on your health so long as you keep yourself properly fed, that is by substituting sufficient amount of protein in your body.

4. rares209

rares209Member

Threads:
    Thanks for the answers guys! I'm on a low carb diet for more than 3 months and I've lost like 10 kg and I have to say that it wasn't the brightest period I've had. I mean, the first couple of weeks were awful but then my body adapted and it wasn't so bad after all, but I can feel that my body isn't working as it should and I always make sure that I eat more than enough protein so this is definitely not the problem. I've managed to get rid of the fat and my arms, chest, even my back are well defined but it looks like my abs are not visible yet and I think it is due to that fact thet I need more muscle mass. This is why I'm considering to stop dieting and star eating properly, because I want a little more muscle mass, even though the summer is comming and I'll lose some definition.

5. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When handled properly, a low-carb diet can produce healthy results, but most people take things to an extreme. The average person shouldn't cut their carb intake to extremely low levels because it's such an easy thing to handle wrong, leading to health problems. It's better to maintain a normal diet and exercise regularly instead.

6. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    Yeah, you do not have to care about getting fat I guess

7. Hybridlullaby

HybridlullabyNew Member

Threads:
    It is called a ketogenic diet. The first couple weeks are known as keto sickness. Your body has to adapt. A lot of people say that it is terrible for your health, but after the first couple of weeks, I felt great. You lose a lot of weight really fast. You should make sure if you are going to exercise to eat a few carbs at least or you could burn out fast and make yourself sick. It is just about strong moderation. There are websites where you can calculate out how many carbs to eat and make meal plans based on keto. It is just up to you if it is something that you would like to pursue.