Are These Work From Home Jobs Real?

Discussion in Personal Finance started by Jasmine2015 • Oct 31, 2015.

1. Jasmine2015

Jasmine2015Active Member

Threads:
    Everyday I am seeing ads on the Internet for working at home. Sometimes they may say things like reading emails for cash or doing data entry. I would love to work online for increased income but there are so many scams these days. How is a person to know what is and is not a scam? Do you have to have special skills or something?

2. shoptodrop

shoptodropActive Member

Threads:
    It is very hard to find things that are legit. BUT! I've found an amazing website, and YouTube channel of a girl who gives videos and blogs on actual legitimate work from home jobs. You can check her out at

or her YouTube channel is DHBW Fans. I've been watching her and reading her lists for a long time and she has helped me out a lot. There are all types of jobs for the skills you have. And there's even hourly pay jobs on there as well. I hope that helps. It's got me 2 jobs that really help me out financially. Having extra income helps you to get the things you need and provide for yourself. I'm so glad we live in an age of technology and things like this are possible. She even gives tips on how to avoid scams.

3. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It's hard to know what is or isn't a scam and the only way is to ask around, read reviews, check out the website and where it is based, and maybe get a referral form someone you know. Some sites maybe genuine, but then fold because they are too new and inexperienced. With these types of jobs, there are more tasks than jobs, because they can get rejected and you don't get paid. Don't give out too many personal details either as many will sell on email addresses and phone numbers.

4. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There is one work from home job that I was invited in. It is an encoding job.The writer friend who invited me said that you will be sent a scanned image of a document and all you have to do is encode the text in a word processor. Another is a calling job similar to a call center where you will be given a "number" to call (using skype) and you will offer the product. There are others but I am not really interested until some friends would confirm the viability.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Go straight to a site where you can find work at home jobs. There are a number of legit sites which you could take a look at: upwork.com, elance.com, freelancer.com. But even here when applying for jobs you'll also need to be cautious because you'll still find scammers who may not pay you for work done but you can avoid that if you apply for jobs posted by clients who have a good track record.

Email reading jobs? Forget those. It's how PTC sites advertise their sites and many of them [the PTC sites] are owned by scammers.

6. thenextGeek

thenextGeekActive Member

Threads:
    There are some legit work from home jobs online however there are literally thousands of scams out to get newbies online as well. The only way that beginners can protect themselves is by joining a legit websites, like Don't Pay Full and The Warrior Forum, and read topics there since a lot of information can be acquired from these websites. In this day and age, knowing the landscape is the best weapon you can have against every scam both online, and in the real world.

7. rickymuus

rickymuusNew Member

Threads:
    Research the site in google, reddit and even quora and see what people have to say about the site. If there are positive reviews then it is probably true. There are opportunities to work online but they mostly do not pay that well and its not that easy to find gigs as there is much competition. Good luck!

8. Dame6089

Dame6089Active Member

Threads:
    Just do your due diligence and find out if they are legit or not. People review these sites all the time to let you know if they are scams or not. Also, keep in mind that some of these jobs may be legit and actually pay, but make the work not worth it. You don't want to be doing hours of work for a few bucks. You gotta be smart because so many scammers are out there these days.

9. Destiny

DestinyActive Member

Threads:
    It really depends. If you're seeing these jobs in ads while you're googling stuff then it is probably fake. If they're offering tons of money than its fake, if they ask you to pay a membership fee than its probably fake. So many scams it's hard to find the legit jobs, but they're out there.

10. obliviousme

obliviousmeActive Member

Threads:
    Well the most that you can do to avoid being scammed for online jobs is to read reviews, after you've done that, if you're still not convinced of it's credibility, then for your peace of mind, just don't join the website. If it's asking for upfront payment in joining the site, then it's most likely a scam.

11. LordAndSaver

LordAndSaverMember

Threads:
    There are lots of opportunities to make money online, but most of them aren't particularly lucrative. A key piece of advice is if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Most jobs will pay less than minimum wage per hour. If you're looking to make around or even above minimum wage, somewhat consistently, I'd recommend Amazon mturk working or clickworker. Both require SS numbers for tax purposes in the US.

12. davos

davosActive Member

Threads:
    Just remember, work from home jobs than require braindead zero effort usually don't worth your time (1$ the hour, what a joke!). The decent ones require to put some effort and in some of them you have to go through a test before being accepted or improve your reputation among the community to
    earn better cash for job etc.

The best ones are those for high skilled professionals (freelancing), but you have to compete with other talented people thus there is a lot of challenges to face there.

13. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Paid reviews, reading emails and clicking websites are mostly scams so I hardly pay attention to them. Certain survey sites, forum commenting and app testing are legitimate gigs for the most part. However, it takes time to earn real money from surveys. Forum-commenting is one of the fastest. App testing can earn you money too but you cannot do them as frequently as other gigs.

14. ziska

ziskaMember

Threads:
    I use several sites to earn from home. I use swagbucks and with very little effort I earn an extra 50-75 dollars every month. I also use Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) to do various micro jobs to earn 50-100 dollars a month. Other favorites are clickworker (only the UHRS platform is worthwhile) clixsense, cashcrate, PostLoop, TranscribeMe, and OneSpace. All are legit ways to earn money online. There are many others as well. Swagbucks is by far my favorite. it is easy to get 50-100 dollars a month and they pay cash to PayPal, or Amazon gift card, Visa gift card, or millions of other retailers/gift cards. I have 4 family members who also use it and they have been doing it for years. I've only been in it since April, and since April I have earned over $500 dollars from Swagbucks!!! That's 500 actual dollars, not 500 Swagbucks!!! If you sign up under my URL (below) you will get 5 dollars (500 swagbucks) right off the bat.

15. rickymuus

rickymuusNew Member

Threads:
    It is possible to make an income online if you have certain skills for instance building websites, programming, writing and so on. The bad thing is that finding consistent work is not easy and you have to be really good at what you choose to do to build a loyal client base. It can be a great source for extra income but not as your only source of income.

16. Forty Five

Forty FiveNew Member

Threads:
    I have also been looking for legit ways to earn online and it is true the scams are everywhere. Even some of the legit ones pay out so little that they are just not worth working on. But I do believe there are some good ways to earn money online; they are just hard to find because they are mixed in with all the scams. Many of the online jobs and the payout amounts also vary depending on the country you live in, so people in some countries have way more opportunities than others.

17. larryl332

larryl332Active Member

Threads:
    Well it just depends. I am guessing that most people are smart enough to realize that the ones that promise thousands of dollars a day are not real, but there are certainly some real online jobs out there. Just gotta sniff em out.

18. ptahm22

ptahm22Active Member

Threads:
    The online platform is very much similar to the real world. The skills you apply in your daily life are the same that you need to apply online. To avoid scams don't focus on the money they are paying. First, familiarize with what they want you to do, if you can do it and if it's worth their payout. The bottom line is, don't look for a get rich quick scheme, just look for a situation where it's mutual.

19. Nakitakona

NakitakonaActive Member

Threads:
    Well, I know you don't want to speculate to work on online job for you are not aware either they are scam or not. Well, it is easy to determine by checking it in the Internet. If they are illegitimate, they would be displayed. Or you may get their URL address and have them check on scamadviser.com for risk or fraudulent.

20. kamai

kamaiActive Member

Threads:
    It is definately difficult to determine which online jobs are real or fake. I usually avoid ones that asks for payments to be able to start working, I wouldn't want to pay to work. I have been searching and have fallen for some scam jobs the good thing is I didn't invest a single penny but it is sure frustrating because they do waste my time.