Are Wearable Fitness Devices Worth The Money?

Discussion in Sports & Fitness started by Feneth • Apr 10, 2015.

1. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I've been looking at the higher tech wearable devices, more than just pedometers. I mean the ones that monitor sleep, steps, calories, everything. If you have one, which one do you have? Would you buy it again? Do you think it has helped you stay fit?

2. TommyVercetti

TommyVercettiActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, unfortunately. Smart phones can do anything these days, even replace those specialized exercise calorie counters and speedometers. I use mine heavily as a replacements for those things.

3. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't think wearable fitness devices are that effective. If a lot of body builders in the 80s and 90s managed to shape up without the help of fitness gadgets, then that only means efficiency depends on the person and how motivated he or she is to stay fit. Our stationary bike has the ability to read how much calories you lose so I did not bother to buy any device to facilitate my fitness.

4. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I use my phone for most of this, too. I don't get crazy intense with most of it, so my smartphone is sufficient for tracking calories, my sleep patterns, etc.

5. lefttowrite

lefttowriteNew Member

Threads:
    I'd say they're a good investment for someone who's interested in the statistics of fitness in our daily lives. However, a lot of these wearable devices are very expensive. ie: the Apple Watch, overpriced like crazy because of a couple gold bands. The technology is immense and a oush-forward, but the price of solely the material out-weighs the pros. Luckily, there are many inexpensive alternatives such as the Moto 360 watch. There are many features such as calorie count and other fitness tracking abilities. The price is a little under $400USD and is compatible with every phone. Good luck!

6. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah, as other people said, it's a waste of time, since there's a ton of smartphone apps out there - even free ones - that can do the job just as well, maybe even better.

7. AtlantaSports

AtlantaSportsActive Member

Threads:
    I personally think that they are a complete waste of money and that nobody should have to deal with that. It makes people extremely anxious whenever they work out. I feel like so many people are worried about how many calories they burn rather than if they are getting a decent work out or not. I also feel like it takes away from the experience. Working out helps me get away from a lot of things, so I feel like with the unneeded devices, it ruins my time.

8. Rosyrain

RosyrainActive Member

Threads:
    There are a lot of fitness apps out there that you can download to your phone so I don't think it is worth spending money on the little fitness electronics. If you are serious about monitoring calorie counts and distance then invest in one of those arm band cell phone holders for much less money than the gadget. I find that when I buy gadgets and stuff, I use them for a short time, and then they wind up in a drawer somewhere never to be used again. I use my cell phone all of the time.

9. AtlantaSports

Threads:
    Even then, I do not use any of the multiple smartphone apps that are out there(that is, unless they are used to keep up with my diet)because I feel like it takes away from the overall mindset and experience that I have whenever I choose to workout. It's like going back to the thing that you are trying to get away from, overall.

10. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I actually use some of the apps, becuase I don't know much about working out, and I really don't care about the specifics tothe point where I would research it as my hobby or something, so I'm glad I can have a simple app that will tell me how much should I run or work out. I'm a lazy bum, I wouldn't move if I didn't have to, so. :V

11. hayrake

hayrakeActive Member

Threads:
    I have never been one to buy into the health and fitness gadgets that you wear. I do use a running app on my phone when I run somewhere new or that I don't run often, but otherwise prefer to be unencumbered by any devices whatsoever.

Some people probably need to use some of the high tech devices, though, if they have a problem with their health that makes it necessary to monitor things more closely.

12. Onionman

OnionmanActive Member

Threads:
    I had a Fitbit before the strap broke and the chip disappeared. It was nice to have as a way of getting a sense of what I was doing. It certainly showed me how badly I slept. Would I get another one? Maybe. I did learn a bit at the time. But maybe not enough to invest in a new one just yet.

13. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I have never really felt the need to buy any of those gadgets. I stay fit by riding my bike to work, going for long brisk walks after work, or I go swimming whenever I can. I find those gadgets only disturbing and hindering me in whatever I am doing.

14. AtlantaSports

Threads:
    I can understand why people would do that. If you are a beginner and you are just new to the overall idea of exercising and workout out, then I completely understand why you would have an app or something similar to that.

15. AtlantaSports

Threads:
    I have had the exact same issue and I feel the same way that you feel. Especially whenever it comes to doing cardio exercise, those gadgets and technology really feel like they are more of a problem then a solution or a helper. It makes for a lot of unnecessary issues that could simply be avoided.

16. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yep. Especially when 10 different sources tell you 9 different things. So I just gave up and use there, it's not like I want a bodybuilder's physique or anything like that.

17. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I know people use their smartphones to track their workouts but I do not know how a smartphone could track your sleeping habits. The next time I walk I will have to remember to set my phone to record the session. I am sure I get more than 10,000 steps when I am out walking.

18. Feneth

FenethActive Member

Threads:
    I have been really curious about them but I keep stumbling over the cost. It's a lot to spend on something that I don't even know if I'll be happy using or actually use for any length of time to make it worth it.

19. AtlantaSports

Threads:
    If you do not mind me asking, even though this is somewhat of a personal question: What type of body are you going for? Maybe there is some plans or workout programs that could potentially help you reach the ideal goal that you are looking for.

20. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Really I just want to up my stamina (I'm an asthmatic and I have no excercised for a long time, so I get really tired and can't catch my breath real fast), and want to tighten my stomach a little bit. Don't exactly care for a six-pack, it's just that I'm starting to grow a little bit of a belly flab, and I'd like to get rid of that before it's too late. I'm a skinny dude, so the flab looks.. eh.