Are You A Compulsive Shopper?

Discussion in Misc & Others started by gracer • Jan 30, 2016.

1. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I have to admit that sometimes I tend to become compulsive when I walk down the mall and I see something that really interests me. I don't go out a lot and I don't shop a lot but during times when I go to the mall or shopping centers, I'm generally on the buying mood.

Just like the other week, when I was at the department store with my husband looking for a perfect outfit for my mother-in-law, I ended up buying a perfect pair of stiletto for myself aside from buying my in-law's blouse. I was happy with my find though because it's been over a year since I last treated myself with a beautiful pair of shoes. :)

Do you also experience compulsiveness when it comes to shopping at times? Do you give in or do you control yourself?

2. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, and it was even worse when I lived like a mile away from the mall. I would go walking around the mall in the evenings nearly every day when I got off work, and I would inadvertently end up walking out with a bunch of impulse buys that I didn't need. Clothing, shoes and cologne were some of my biggest vices. At one point I had like 30+ bottles of new colognes that had just come out within the past year. Almost twice a month I would buy a new fragrance because I had become "bored" with the ones I previously bought. I would also buy a new outfit to wear out to the bars every weekend.

Another vice would be the home stores such as Bed Bath & Beyond, where I would inevitably frequent and buy some pricey small kitchen appliance that I really didn't need. Bread machines, electric juicers, rotisserie ovens, and more.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I admit that I am a compulsive shopper but not all the time. Particularly when I am alone in the mall and I have a problem, shopping diverts my attention. And with the use of the credit card, I don't have any hesitation as long as I satisfy my whim. At least it relieves my stress somehow. But in normal times, I am always wary of compulsive buying that would ruin my monthly budget. At least I can control myself... some of the time.

4. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    @ohiotom76@ohiotom76 My husband is more of the kitchen person in our house so he's actually the one who has sometimes has a compulsion when it comes to buying kitchen stuff. I would always notice him frequenting the kitchen wares area whenever we go to the mall. He would always have something in mind that he feels he needs in the kitchen. He cooks better so I really don't argue with him if I know that what he's buying is not something that would hurt our pocket that much. But if I see that he's looking at something expensive, then I start to intervene. lol

@Corzhens@Corzhens I was smiling as I was reading your post because I realized that we females do have a compulsive quality in us but others just have better control of their compulsion that's why they don't hurt their budget much. Sometimes there's also a certain feeling of satisfaction when you compulsively bought something that turned out to be a good reward for yourself after all. Just as long as it doesn't happen all the time. :)

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I use cash when I'm not buying anything online. And I always take with me only the exact amount of money I intend to spend. Since I don't live too far away from the stores I buy most of my stuff, even if there's a price change which will force me to go back home and get more money, I'll do it. the exercise is good too. This is how I managed to beat impulse shopping.

6. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I've never been one but recently I've been getting the urge to Buy a lot more than I used to. I don't know exactly what changed but I think I'm just developing my taste a lot more so I'm seeing a lot more value in the items that I used to just brush off. I find it invigorating but at the same time it is costing me a lot, but I am trying to at least compensate somewhat by saving up the money first before spending so I don't end up going too crazy.

7. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's totally me. Well, when I have the money to spend, that is! These days not so much because I'm watching the pennies. But generally speaking, I really like to go with the flow. I'm a self confessed lover of clothes, and a proud shopaholic. So if I have the money and I see something I like, I just go for it.

8. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I can be compulsive about shopping, especially when it comes to video games or small kitchen appliances.
    But I'm a mother with bills to pay, so instead of using real money from my budget, I use the free gift cards that I earn on those rewards sites like Swagbucks to fund my purchases. That way I'm not wasting my household money on video games or fun stuff and my budget stays on track most of the time.

9. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    I am not really a compulsive shopper. However, many times I go shopping I may exceed the amount I had budgeted to spend because most times there may be some sort of deal on certain essential items, and of course, purchasing these items will pay off in savings in the long term, otherwise, I just don't go spending in an uncontrollable manner.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm more of that's a good price and what I need buyer. Very rarely do I get things I don't need and try to save money wherever I can. I can go window shopping for months and not buy enjoying the sights and checking prices and never buying. We have a dream at our home of being debt free, so we rarely buy impulsively.

11. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I appreciate that to some some this may sound a little odd - but no I've never been a compulsive shopper - mainly because - having benefited greatly from learning to manage my finances at a very early age and particularly that - the best way of dealing with money problems is to avoid them happening the first place - by living within your means and not borrowing money - I only ever buy what is needed and can be afforded - after first paying the priorities like a roof over my head, food and the utilities.

12. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am not a compulsive shopper, I don't think. I will say that i can be pretty impulsive as a shopper though. If I have money laying around, and the thought to get something from the shop pops into my head, I will often impulsively go and purchase them. But I don't need to go and get them. I go because I can. My sister is a compulsive shopper though lol

13. roarzie

roarzieMember

Threads:
    I try to be as rational and to spend as little cash as possible while going shopping, looking for the best deals, finding clothes that fit at decent prices and all in all managing my cash to maximize the value bought with the least cash spent.

This way I have extra money left to save overtime and achieve greater goals.

14. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a compulsive shopper and eater, the difference is the compulsive eating is bad for my body and shape, and the shopping is awful for my pocket!
    I am quite anxious, so I guess that affects me in every way.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not really a compulsive shopper as much as I am a compulsive bidder. I don't really get tempted to shop offline since I don't even enter shops to begin with so that I won't be tempted. However, I am easily tempted with online shopping since it's so easy to click and buy.

16. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes. Yes. Yes. I am a compulsive shopper and it is one thing that I am trying to break free from. Let me tell you how hard that is. When I see something that looks like I might be able to put it to good use, I buy it. Now that I am out of work and have gone through bankruptcy, I have to control myself and I have to say that I am on the way to recovery. If I don't have cash, I can't buy it where before I could just give them my credit card. I am learning to keep away from buying things that I really don't need and keep my eye on what I do need.

17. Verity Darkwaters

Verity DarkwatersActive Member

Threads:
    Not usually. Usually I am a very wise shopper and I do what I can to save money. However, once in a while if I'm feeling wild or a deal is too good too pass up I will be like; "LET'S DO IT!" I try not too though because I just don't like frivolously spending money when I could use it for something later.

18. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    That is a wonderful attitude of yours. Most of the people I know nowadays don't really think much about the future. What matters to them is that they are able to buy what they want right now and that's it. This is why I also try as much as possible to save up despite the limited funds that I have so that I know I have money which I could use later on for other more important things. :)

19. Jason76

Jason76Active Member

Threads:
    I wouldn't say compulsive shopping is my problem, but perhaps compulsive spending. For instance, I'm not sure if spending money at restaurants is considered shopping. However, I tend to splurge on them after I get my bills paid and other stuff. In that case, I have gone broke fast sometimes. Therefore, now I'm trying to put money on cards to control my spending.

20. Decentlady

DecentladyActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, that's me at times. Although these days I have learnt to control my overpowering desire to buy things that catch my eyes!

I think of all that I already have and of I feel it is still necessary then I would go ahead and buy it.