Are You A Fan of Archie Comics?

Discussion in Books, eBooks & Audio Books started by DrRipley • Apr 15, 2013.

1. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I went to our local comic book store recently to buy a few Archie comic books for my nephew and for myself as well since I haven't bought and read one in so long. I had a chat with the sales people there and I asked how the Archie sales were doing and to my surprise she replied that they were still being bought a lot. She mentioned that it was all mostly old professionals like doctors and architects who were buying them that probably grew up with the comic title.

So I'm asking if any of our members here are Archie fans and I'd like to know if you still buy these comics and what you think of the the recent story developments?

2. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I LOVE Archie and the gang, lol. I haven't read them in years so I don't know where the stories have ended up. Wait, that's a lie. I guess one of the new characters is gay? Good for them for being inclusive.. makes me so mad people would actually stop reading because of that or not let their children read. I have a big collection of them in storage, thanks for reminding me! Maybe I'll bring them out for my son :)

3. lindbergh

lindberghWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Archie comics is like Archie himself - it never grows old. I've known this series ever since I was a kid and I loved it then. Now that I read some of the newly released Archie comics, I love it even more. There's a certain flair to the series that really matches my taste. It's good clean fun for children to adults. Kudos to the authors for doing a great great job.

4. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    I remember the Archie comics as well when I was growing up. I still see these on occasion in the check out line at the grocery store. I also grew up watching some of the cartoon series based on the comic strips. So, Archie was also a part of my childhood as well. I guess these comics are now a part of a new generations childhood as well.

5. unreal83

unreal83New Member

Threads:
    Archie and Casper the Friendly Ghost are my childhood favorites. It is very very tough to find them in my country anymore.

If you are a fan, definitely visit archiedigital.com as it has some free comics daily. You will need to subscribe for all the content though.

6. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I used to collect comics as a kid and had quite a collection that included many from the Archie series. Unfortunately, Mom went on one her cleaning modes (while I was away at college) and decided that I was no longer interested in that "old" stuff (comics, stamps, coins, metal detector finds, etc.) and sold everything in one lot at a yard sale. Sigh. This was about 25 years ago but, I'm sure whoever bought it still talks about that great steal they found at a random yard sale.

I'm surprised to hear that the series still continues with new storylines. Is this true?

7. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, they still sell Archie comics in the checkout areas at supermarkets and they still update them with new storylines. The only reason I know that is because Archie comics also makes the Sonic the Hedgehog comic books, which I buy for my daughter the Sonic fan.

I haven't read an Archie comic book since I was a kid, but I still see new ones in the stores every month.
    I wonder who is buying them, kids, middle aged people?

8. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I didn't read comics as a kid. I feel like I missed a lot. ;)

I did enjoy the Archie cartoon. I'm still surprised that they are still around and rather popular. I live within walking distance of two comic shops, but haven't walked in. I see mostly kids and young men inside.

9. BargainPhoenix

BargainPhoenixMember

Threads:
    A few months ago I was at Kmart and picked up a new Archie comic book. It's pretty thick and I have yet to read it. I'm looking at it now on my bookshelf pretty much like new. I've gotta crack it open and see what has changed. I know Archie has been around since my parents were kids. All I really recall about Archie was his love triangle with good girl Betty and bad girl Veronica. The one I picked up is a Betty and Veronica double digest.

I'm just leafing through it and there is an ad for an Archie app. Available on itunes and gives you access to thousands of the comic books.

10. limcid

limcidActive Member

Threads:
    I get the feeling that they've probably made the storylines like daytime soap operas by now. I would bet there are several "alternative lifestyles", Veronica has probably had an abortion with Jughead being the "baby daddy", Jughead openly smokes weed now, Archie gets chided for being a Conservative, and somehow they'll work in vampires and zombies, LOL.

Uh oh, I wonder what they're up to these days.

#10Apr 23, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  11. CherryBomber

CherryBomberNew Member

Threads:
    While we're on the subject of Archie comics. I need someone's help. I lost an Archie or Jughead comic book when my ex was cleaning out my room back in 2004. I don't remember the volume or issue. But here's how it went. It's Jughead tagging along with Archie and Betty and Archie wants to go to a classic drive in movie theatre. Jughead wants to go to the all you can eat buffett. Archie tells Jughead all he think about is food. And Jughead says all his car thinks about is gas. So when they're in the drive thru, Jughead has snacks with him. He's making noises with them in the back of the car and Archie thinks it's the movie. He eventually finds out it's Jughead and takes him to the all you can eat buffet. Under one condition. If Jughead gets sick, he has to pay for the meal himself. Jughead says, such a mixed blessing.

12. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I used to buy Archie as a kid, but now I don't read that much books/comics anymore, I just read websites. I think when I see an Archie comic book at the mall I'll get one just to be updated with the story.

13. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When I was a kid Archie and the Gang was one of my favorites. I love that they are still available for the younger people to enjoy.

14. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    I still am! My sister supplies me with Archie comics. Is Archie my favorite character though? Nope. My favorite is Jughead. :)

15. SpiralArchitect

SpiralArchitectActive Member

Threads:
    Thankfully none of that is happening. The most that they've done to add contemporary world is add a gay character in Kevin. They are still pretty much the way they were earlier, only with a modern aesthetic and feel to it.