Are You A Follower?

Discussion in Fashion & Apparel started by DreekLass • Oct 10, 2014.

1. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    So I think that we have all experienced peer pressure at some point in our lives. How we react, however, is where we will differ. Some people cave easily under pressure and other people are more rebellious, such as myself lol.

Whenever I have felt anybody trying to put peer pressure on me, I have always acted rebelliously, even if I was open to what they were trying to put on me. I was this way just to show them who was in control of me, and who ran me. Lol.

Anywho, the same can be said for fashion. There are fashion trends. Many people just follow the trend because everyone else is. I could never do that. I have to do my own thing. Sameness is boring.

Do you follow trends or do you do your own thing, as far as fashion goes?

2. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I just get ideas but I don't like follow every detail, from the head to the toe. For instance, if some famous celebrity was wearing this DKNY bolero and received so much hype, I'd just try to see if there's a similar item at thrift shops or less known boutiques. Brands are just brands. And if you're a person who has style, it doesn't matter what you wear. Your style will shine through.

3. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When it comes to fashion or any trend, I usually jump off the train immediately. Even if I like it, I'll go my own way because I just despise being like everyone else.. it's creepy lol. There will always be things that become trendy that I already liked and won't stop liking because it's a fad (unless the fad ruins it for me, which often times it does), but for the most part, trends irk me.

4. Danyel72

Danyel72Active Member

Threads:
    I guess I tend to just do my own thing. I have 4 kids, 2 of which are teenage girls so I guess I see them being leaders now when it come to fashion. Don't get me wrong, I love to follow the trends to a point and even my teenagers say I' a cool mom. proud if that fact!!!

Most of the time I just like to look cute and be comfortable at the same time. Now that I'm a mom, I can watch my daughters go through and experience all of the latest fashion trends... I find it funny because many of them are the same from when I was a teenager!!!

They don't like to admit that though. ;)

Danyel :)

5. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I do my own thing. I am hardly even aware of what the fashion trends are anymore. Where I live there are so many different styles I don't know what is officially "in" and what is just common in this town because of what shops are here. I just get clothing that I like when I need it, and only when I need it. Otherwise I continue to wear the same old clothes I have regardless of how out of style they might be considered now.

6. chiofthenorns

chiofthenornsActive Member

Threads:
    Not really. Ever since I was a kid, I never felt the need to follow trends. I wear and buy clothes as long as the material is good, and I am comfortable in it. I also only buy new clothes when they are affordable. I do not like wasting money on something very expensive that I will not really wear.

7. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I keep an eye on fashion and update my colors for shoes, but generally I have my own style of classic and vintage clothes mixed. I tend to wear casual and comfortable clothes when I travel as practicality matters over fashion. I don't see the point of being cold for the sake of fashion or struggling to walk in the snow. I adapt to where I am as well, in the city I dress differently than I would in the countryside as it makes sense!

8. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I'm old enough to know better and build my outfits the way I like them, not how fashion trends dictate. That's why I buy most of my clothes online or from second-hand shops - diversity. If I visit the fancy shops in the mall (to give an example) I find similar clothes, no matter the brand. So in the end, by shopping there, a person looks like the clone of another and pays more, because hey, these clothes you just bought are fashionable and trendy.

9. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Hmmm. You sound a lot like me. I sort of have a thirst to be different too. Even if I like certain fashion trends I will find a way to be different with it. So I will perhaps wear it, but then infuse it with my own style?? Some may say that it doesn't go, but if it goes in my head then I am sold and I am wearing it lol. Just like wearing headphones in public. A lot of people think it looks silly. But I find a way to make it look great, and my hair looks amazing when I do it.

10. JosieP

JosiePWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If people think it looks silly, then you know you've got a winner! lol. I do the same. And that's what bugs me the most. People having anything to say about what others are wearing. I guess I'm sort of doing the same, but no lol. I don't care what everyone else is wearing, just so long as I don't look exactly like them all. My wardrobe is different and it's all over the place and I love it! ;)

11. insertkittyface

insertkittyfaceActive Member

Threads:
    Nah, not at all. I've always done my own thing at all points in my life.. If I don't like something, I won't do it... If I do like something and everyone else doesn't, it doesn't matter, because I! like it and that's really all that matters.

12. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    Ha ha...nope, never, nada!! I'm totally a leader. I like my own things and do my own things when I want to. If I want something and its not the "in style", who cares! I like it, I want it so I get it. I don't have a need to follow anyone. I am my own person with my own determinations of what is the IN style, etc.

13. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I'm much the same way, in regards to regular old peer pressure *and* fashion trend. There have been plenty of things that I actually enjoy *until* they become trendy...then seeing them everywhere just kind of irritates me, lol. I just do my own thing though, whether it's "in" at any given time or not.

14. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The person who raised me cared not for fashion. She never bothered to blend in. I acquired her "screw everyone else" attitude. That's why I've never bowed to peer pressure and never will. If friends want to go with what's in fashion, that's their call. I can dress stylishly without having to follow the fads.

15. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't follow trends religiously, but I just wear what I like and if it happens to be acceptable fashion-wise, like when capri's came out, I followed that trend and I still wear them until now even if they're not in fad anymore. I never wore skinny jeans though, I don't like tight jeans.