Are you a member of any stores?

Discussion in Stores Reviews, Comments & Complaints started by kate23 • Sep 12, 2012.

1. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    I'm currently a member of Costco and Sam's Club, although I have also been a member of BJ's in the past. I just currently don't buy enough from BJ's to justify getting a membership, although I certainly would if it didn't cost so much. I just don't have the money to right now. It definitely saves being a member of stores like these though, my family and I buy most of our food from Sam's Club, and some things from Costco, so it probably only takes one or two monthly shopping trips to make back the money of the membership fee from the savings we make!

So does anyone else shop at stores such as these where you need a membership?

2. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    We are Costco members, but we hardly ever go. We do use their gas, but it is about 8 miles away so the drive can be a pain if you're almost on empty. I don't really notice that much of a savings by being a member because I save more shopping at Target or my market and using coupons.

3. kate23

kate23Active Member

Threads:
    Oh I forgot about that, we get gas from Sam's Club sometimes, but as you say, it's not close by to where we live so it's not very convenient. We only ever get gas from there once a month when we go to shop there and if we're going by that area anyways. Luckily there's another gas station closer by that has cheap gas so it's not a big deal.

4. iampeebs

iampeebsMember

Threads:
    I used to have a Costco membership and still would if we hadn't moved away from civilization. My kids and I loved to go for the samples. They also have a great deal at their food court where you can get a hot dog or polish sausage with a soda for $1.50.

5. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I'm a Costco member too. That's the only store I pay a membership fee for to participate, otherwise I would not even sign up! I also have freebie savers cards through places like Stop and Shop, CVS and Duane Reade.

6. Cornholio

CornholioActive Member

Threads:
    I lived about a mile from Sam's Club and my parent's lived less than that away from another one so I used to have a Sam's Club card but I let it expire. I don't like going to store and spending $200 at a time. I know it is worth it in the long run for some items, but ultimately I can budget myself better at Walmart, Target, or Aldi.

7. classicnyer

classicnyerActive Member

Threads:
    I find that the amount of money I would save as a member does not add up to the membership price in most cases, mostly because I live in a two-person household and have very little need to buy things in bulk, and partially because the nearest BJ's is about an hour and a half away and the nearest Costco is even further than that.

8. cmarten

cmartenMember

Threads:
    My family belongs to Sam's Club, as it is the closest membership store nearby. There is a Costco about 20 mins away, but I doubt its prices are much different to justify driving the distance.

We save quite a bit of money on things like meat, cheese and paper products there, but it is not for every type of grocery. You do get better deals at Aldi especially, which is my go-to market for most everything else. I think some people get sucked into the IDEA that buying bulk saves money, and don't actually check the prices against what they can get in other stores.

I do find it funny when you see a family with a 5 gallon bucket of pickles or a tub of mayo big enough for their baby to bathe in. :)

9. sandooch

sandoochActive Member

Threads:
    I was a memeber of Costco. But I have only gone there once since joining. I'm glad I didn't have to pay to join (I can't remember how I got free membership). The reason I don't shop there is because I always end up spending $200 to $300, and once I get home I realize I didn't need half the stuff I bought. :D

10. Adeal4u

Adeal4uActive Member

Threads:
    I had a Costco membership, but I let it go because of the expensive monthly fees. You really have to like food to keep that membership going. There are better things that I could use that money for like Internet access. I can buy things at a normal store because it's not necessary to buy in bulk. You have to have a big family to finish all that food.

11. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    I'm not. I love Costco, but I don't have one locally, so there's no reason to be a member when it's not convenient to get to one any more. Sam's Club is closer, but still an hour away, so I would rarely get down there. I don't think the discounts are as big there either.

12. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. I don't see the point of paying to be a member of a store. I personally don't see how I would be saving money by paying a yearly membership to shop at certain stores. I understand they sell in bulk, but I just don't care to shop at those stores.

13. anniep1978

anniep1978New Member

Threads:
    We used to have a Sam`s membership but the closest one is approximatley 2 hours away so the savings did not really add up after we paid the gas to drive there.

I have heard that Costco savings are much better than Sam`s so I may consider purchasing a membership there.

14. Marchese

MarcheseMember

Threads:
    costco membership here. i like it, use it all the time. I find you can get product there that is worthwhile and gets you savings. Just purchases travel mugs, insane quality, and two for $20. Great stuff there. love it.

15. annagoryun

annagoryunMember

Threads:
    I always have the Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum card on me, and when I don't and make big purchases, I cry out loud. I shop there a lot for make up, basic home necessities and vitamins, and you get a lot of rewards with the amount of points you get. I try to look for items that double the optimum points that way they accumulate faster. I got so much free purchases it's almost a crime (not a five finger crime but a too-smart-of-a-shopper crime)

16. Bolt

BoltWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am a member of a number of online stores. I like to register with the stores and sign up for the newsletter because they often offer special deals to members. Yesterday I received an email from Henri Lloyd offering 20% off. I wouldn't know about offers like this if I wasn't a member.

17. dmm2702

dmm2702New Member

Threads:
    We used to have a Sam's club membership. We didn't renew it because I don't think it was saving us any money with the cost to be a member.

I have never been to a Costco so I can't say if they are worth the price of membership. I might check into Costco just to see what the price would be to join.

My friend had one to Sam's and it worked out great for her because she had her own cafe and it saved her a lot of money buying supplies in bulk.

18. saizo6

saizo6Active Member

Threads:
    We used to have a Costco membership. We ended up cancelling that because we were not using it at the time (the closest Costco was an hour drive away). But we've been thinking about opening a membership with them again because we actually moved to a city that has a Costco. It'll be a lot better to have our own card then tag along with someone else.

19. jleadbet

jleadbetActive Member

Threads:
    I was a member of BJ's but not anymore. I liked the store and thought they had good deals. They offered various coupons you could use along with manufacturer coupons. We just don't have the room for everything. There just isn't enough room in our little house for bulk packages. They have free trials every now and then, so I'll go in and pick up a few things.

20. mnicole

mnicoleMember

Threads:
    I'm a member of costco I bought a membership a year ago thinking i was actually going to be shopping there, but i only went twice since i got it.