Are You a Regifter?

Discussion in Gifts & Flowers started by NikkiDesrosiers • Oct 14, 2014.

1. NikkiDesrosiers

NikkiDesrosiersActive Member

Threads:
    Christmas, birthday and holiday shopping can get expensive to the point where people simply go into debt. How do you feel about regifting? Is is ethical to do this to save money? I mean I would never regift something I used or something I actually enjoy but If you received something that is of no use to you and you know someone else would like it... is it wrong? How do you feel about it.

2. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    Usually, I will buy something new for a person that is specifically chosen for their tastes. However, I have regifted in the past and it is not something I have an issue with doing. It makes sense to give something to someone else if they will get pleasure from it and use it. This is surely much better than leaving something gathering dust on your shelf. I have also given unwanted gifts to fundraising events to use in raffles or tombolas.

3. DancingLady

DancingLadyActive Member

Threads:
    I have regifted many times. The usual reason is that I was given something I did not need, did not want, was not a good color for me or something like that. One relative I have is known for doing her Christmas shopping in Canada, so she gets brands no one has ever seen before and then gets me things that are yellow and make me look ill, but I can't return it because no one knows of the brand, so they can't even make an exchange. I just pass those kind of things along to someone who has a darker skin tone and can wear it.

4. Gin0710

Gin0710Active Member

Threads:
    Not usually. I re-gifted one time, but not since then. The only thing I ever re-use when it comes to gift giving are the gift bags. Other than that I usually buy people gift cards or if it's for a kid I'd get them coloring books or something. I think the only thing I would ever really re-gift would be clothes if they don't fit me.

5. Squigly

SquiglyActive Member

Threads:
    I have regifted a couple of times, but only to people that I don't really know very well. Also I make sure that I change the wrapping paper and write a personalised card, even if I'm regifting. The message that you send to them in the card is often much more important than the gift most of the time (seriously, who needs/wants scented candles?)

6. JessiFox

JessiFoxActive Member

Threads:
    I have regifted a few times, I sort of feel bad when thinking about it, but each instance I can think of the person really wasn't putting much thought into the gift for me specifically, so I don't have a ton of guilt out of it. I ended up saving money on buying a present, and the person I gave the gift to enjoyed it and used it far more than I would have...it still ended up being appreciated by *someone*, so it's a win all around.

7. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I don't think it's wrong and I don't mind getting a regift end item either. I think the season just is a good time to pass some goods around and whether or not the person tried hard to find a specific gift or not, just getting one as a token is already good enough for me and also I could make use of the gifted item regardless of intention anyway.

8. calebmelvern

calebmelvernActive Member

Threads:
    Nope. I just feel it isn't right. Even if I don't like something given to me, I'd just keep it. Sometimes, I would include it to my annual donations to charity. For some reason, that doesn't feel wrong compared to re-gifting it to a friend.

9. Tellyv

TellyvMember

Threads:
    I'm definitely a regifter sometimes when needed, especially if I don't need the gift or never used the gift. I don't think there is anything wrong with being a regifter as long as it's not used at all and still has the tags on it. I got plenty of gifts that have been regifted and I didn't have any problems with it. It's like the saying one persons trash is someone else's treasure. I think you can pretty much regift anything that is still brand new and not used at all.

10. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Re-gifting is a great way to save money IF for some reason you don't like the gift you were given or have no use for it. Could be the person who bought you the gift may not like it when they learn that you didn't like what they gave but what's better? Have whatever it is you were given lying around unused or give it to someone who'll use it?

Normally when anyone buys me clothing I usually hand the [clothes] over to someone who'll wear them.

11. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    Yes I am. If I receive something as a gift and never use it, why let it waste when I can gift it to a person that may use and enjoy that item? I liberate some space in the process and save some money that I would've spend on buying a new something to gift. When people think about regifting they imagine that we talk about used items, that's not the case.

12. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    If re-gifting is wrong, then I've done a lot of wrongs in my lifetime, how can I be forgiven? I re-gifted gifts for birthdays to numerous of people, I did this when I got married and the gifts I got came by the doubles, so, like you said, they were of no use to me, and I didn't use them, so...naturally, I gave them as a gift. Makes sense,right? I see no harm in re-gifting, it's better to re-gift than not to gift at all in my humble opinion. Great thread @NikkiDesrosiers

13. owesem75

owesem75Active Member

Threads:
    Re-gifting is reasonable and practical.. if you think about it more. Just make sure you don't re-gift to someone who knows who have given it to you in the first place..

14. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Re-gifting cheapens the whole point of giving the gift, whether that's Christmas or a birthday party or whatever. It means you didn't put much thought into things, especially when you're talking about consumer goods. It's slightly different when you're talking about family heirlooms and other items that you just can't buy from a store. There are situations when regifting one of those items can make sense.