Are you an expensive or cheap gamer?

Discussion in Movies, Music & Games started by mistymi • Mar 25, 2014.

1. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I try to be more of a cheap gamer. I don't buy games at their $60 release unless it's something like Half-Life 3 and I've been playing more indie and older games. It would be nice to have the latest hardware but I prefer to sacrifice graphics and performance for money. I think there are a lot of ways to be entertained with a PC now without having to spend that much money.

2. apple1989

apple1989Member

Threads:
    I play DOTA and it's free. But I purchase merchandises like a character's set or costume to make the playing experience more enjoyable. I spend as much as 10 dollars for a set and I have like 10 sets already. DOTA is free, but in the long run, it's relatively expensive because it's not a one time purchase. You get bored with your character that you shift to another. That means another set. So yeah, I spend a lot on this single game.

3. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a cheap gamer. I haven't bought a game in years, the last time I bought one was last 2006. With the proliferation of torrents and free downloads out there, I would be stupid not to take advantage of them. :D

And in my country, piracy is quite rampant as well, unlike in the US, so you would find bootlegged stuff everywhere on the streets and even in some malls.

4. starfox64

starfox64Active Member

Threads:
    Cheap gamer all the way. My advice is to use redbox if you are unsure about whether or not you will like a game. It's only a $1.20 a day and for a game that was $60, it is definitely worth it if you don't see yourself playing the game for long. Also, redbox is pretty good about bringing new titles to its kiosks. GTA V came out a week after its release date and although it is a long game and isn't able to be beat in a day, it was fun trying it out and sampling it before making my purchase.

5. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I've never bought a game that's worth more than $10. The reason I don't buy any expensive games these days is because I bought a game once [back when I was an avid gamer], played it for a week and it started getting boring the more I played it [and regretted having bought it].

So, these days, I find it's cheaper to get a free old game somewhere on the net or just wait patiently until the game prices go down.

6. lizzief79

lizzief79Active Member

Threads:
    I am a cheap gamer because I only play the games that are free on the Internet. My son has a Nintendo Wii and an XBox. We go to trading shops to either trade games he already has for different ones or simply to purchase second-hand games. I love playing computer games but I have very little money to spend on this as a hobby.

7. Quaestor

QuaestorMember

Threads:
    I tend to buy most games on sale but occasionally if I see a game that looks interesting or unique and is in alpha/beta I'll pay extra for it.

Most recently I paid above prices I'd normally pay for DayZ, but it was an exception. A lot of indie games are quite cheap on release too anyway, so I'll buy them too.

8. Thejamal

ThejamalActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a relatively cheap gamer. Really, the only consistent money I put into gaming is my WoW subscription. Other than that, I'll buy the occasional sports game like NBA 2k14 or FIFA.

Not really having an interest in other games has really helped my wallet.

9. Oakster

OaksterActive Member

Threads:
    I'm totally a cheap gamer, I'm always on the lookout for deals.
    It's super easy to buy games for cheap nowadays, there are always loads of deals going constantly online.

10. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I'm a cheap gamer. I usually just play what's free, and I'm already satisfied with most free mobile games, for the most part. Also, if I do like a game and plan to purchase it, I rarely buy it as it's released when the price is still at full, because I always still have a huge backlog of games waiting for me to pay attention to them. I suppose I could attribute this mostly due to me being more of a casual gamer, because I do still spend a lot more for other hobbies I'd consider myself to be more "hardcore" at, so I totally sympathize with more serious gamers who feel the need to purchase games as they are released and thus have to pay full price.

11. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    I'm a cheap gamer. I never buy games on release and I almost always wait for it to drop price. I also go for free games rather than paid ones, especially when it comes to mobile gaming. I never buy DLC's and expansions and you will never catch me dead with in game purchases like characters and virtual items.

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm a cheap gamer. I don't buy games at launch, I wait for a price drop. I do a lot of research on games before I buy them. Sometimes I swap items for old games at those online swap sites.
    I can't remember the last time I paid full price for a video game. Maybe 1998?

13. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I would say I'm a cheap gamer. The new games don't appeal to me that much. I think I can be picky about what genre I play. You can also buy a used game for cheap and easily have the same experience.

14. eppie

eppieActive Member

Threads:
    I'm definitely a cheap gamer :D, also a late-bloomer when it comes to gaming. I started serious gaming in my 40's (just last year).

I have son who's really into gaming and even buys card or points to upgrade and I really think it's a waste of time and money. So I searched the internet for online games where he can possibly earn real money from while playing. I found a couple of games where one can get paid to play but unfortunately my son gets bored with it easily so I continued the games myself and has been enjoying it ever since. :)

As for my son, he still playing that FB game Pacifica and I can't really blame him though as the game/graphics is so interesting and fun compared to the browser games that I recommended. :D

15. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    Not at all because there's just too many free or discounted video games nowadays for me to justify purchasing full price all the time. Back then when there weren't many options, you had no choice but to buy video games at full price or rent them from a store, but now that even phones have free games as well as PC, I only spend whenever there is a game that I really like that much but otherwise I would just stick to the discounted games.

16. daimashin

daimashinActive Member

Threads:
    Not sure if I can be considered cheap since I only buy a handful of games a year. Most of the time I go with free to play games too but I also play retail games. I have a budget on gaming and that is to not buy more than one game every month. Speaking of which, it's been a few months since I bought a game on release day.