Are You Good About Sticking to Your Grocery List?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by nwitt • Apr 19, 2014.

1. nwitt

nwittActive Member

Threads:
    I'm curious whether you're good about sticking to your grocery list when shopping. If I make a list ahead of time, I've very good about it! I will maybe grab 1-2 extra items, but otherwise I stick to the list. It's when I don't make a list that I find myself not getting what I need and possibly spending too much.

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yes, very good! I always make grocery lists, and I will only go to the aisles I know I'll find what I'm looking for. For me grocery lists are a must, I don't know how to go to a supermarket without them! I'm not one of those people that enjoy going to a supermarket and shopping for hours, going from aisle to aisle and checking up news and prices! I like to go, get what I want and leave as soon as possible. So I usually follow my lists to a T, unless I spot something I really want while searching for something on my list and decide to get it.

3. DDavies

DDaviesActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, I am. We are on a very strict budget. I do leave a $5 margin in case I see something on sale that I can stock up on. I'm also very big on stocking up and planning meals according to what I have stockpiled.

4. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I always bring a list to the grocery. It not only keeps my spending strictly within the budget, the list also ensures I don't forget anything. A second trip to the grocery is more costly if I forget an ingredient. When everything on the list has been bought and the budget still allows for some nice bargain items, I do enjoy something outside the planned shopping itinerary, but only on rare occasions. I use a note app on my smartphone most of the time. Doing so saves paper and ink, too.

5. hellavu

hellavuActive Member

Threads:
    That depends on how tight my budget is. If I'm so tight on money that I make a precise list, then I'll be more focused and just go get the items written down. Otherwise, I give myself leeway. I write "veggies" and "meat" and just go with whatever is discounted, or in season.

6. blues

bluesMember

Threads:
    Generally, I'm pretty good at sticking to my list. It helps that I try to tunnel into what I'm trying to buy because I get enticed by sales rather easily. I even have to write down what kind of brands of products I want because no matter what product it is, there is always 10 variations on it and I will spend 10-20 minutes awkwardly standing there, reading all the different labels. This is worse tenfold if I need to restock on shampoo or lotion or generally on any skin product! That's why I have to scout things beforehand if I don't want to stay at a store for forever.

7. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always try to buy only what is on my grocery list. However occasionally I may decide on a whim to buy something that isn't on my list. That change though would be balanced off because I strike off one item from the list. So either way I end up spending almost the same amount of money I planned to spend in the first place.

8. Allison2021

Allison2021Active Member

Threads:
    These past few weeks I experienced a financial downturn. I shop at Aldi and Save-A-Lot. Currently, I shop with coupons at Kroger. I have a list and I stick to it like glue.

9. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm really short on cash right now so I make a list and never deviate. It's really hard at times, especially when I smell freshly baked goods in the supermarket! I visit a few different stores to get the best prices, so my list not only says what I am going to buy but also where to buy it from. I know this probably seems like a hassle but it's worth doing.