Are You Inclined To Buy Items That May Only Be Had Trough A Tv Advertisement?

Discussion in As Seen on TV started by explorerx7 • Mar 8, 2016.

1. explorerx7

explorerx7Active Member

Threads:
    Occasionally, there will be an advertisement on the television promoting the usefulness or effectiveness of a product, and you will be told that this item is not available in stores. You may purchase it only through making and order via a toll-free number.
    My problem with this plan is that I will not be able to examine the product to ascertain if it's up to standard and that it would also be difficult to obtain a review of it. Sometimes the entities promoting these products are not well known. What if I should receive the Item and I would have to return it how difficult would or how accommodating would the be process be? These concerns have me thinking that I should shy away from these television-only deals because there is too much uncertainty involved

2. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina IsobeWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Yeah I know what you mean, but sometimes it's just what I was hoping for like the cleaning fluids, hot air ovens and hair tonic to grow more hair. I research them thoroughly before I commit when I call. When I call if there is anything I don't want I'd politely say that's okay before I give them any information. Some will take your credit card number first thing, I'd say I have some question and don't give them information and ask, ask and ask because I don't want a continuing credit charge on a product that doesn't work. o_O

3. gracer

gracerActive Member

Threads:
    I do have the same concerns as you when it comes to products that are only available from a TV store or even online. When one decides to buy an item from TV shopping or online stores he/she takes that risk of uncertainty when it comes to receiving the actual product. That's why it's also very important to ask them about their return policies first before even attempting to buy their products.

4. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    To be honest I don't think I would buy a product which I've only seen on TV.

If there are similar products on the market I'll take a look at them first and probably buy one of them. But fork out cash for a product I don't know will work or not [even if the commercial makes it sound really great] — certainly not something I'd do.

5. GemmaRowlands

GemmaRowlandsActive Member

Threads:
    I won't buy anything unless I know a lot about it, and usually I prefer to actually be able to see an item before I choose to purchase it. So, no, I won't ever buy things that you can only get off the television. I just think that it is too much of a risk in case I don't like it and it has to be returned - and this is usually quite a costly process, which is just a waste of money in the long term.

6. cocolgooh

cocolgoohActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with you. If there's no way for me to see the product before I order it, that it has to be ordered unseen, I won't buy it. I don't like that they can cost a lot to send it back if it doesn't live up to expectation, and I don't like sending returns through the mail anyway because I've had companies say they never got products before so it seems like more hassle than it's worth to order by phone.

7. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No. In fact I am even less inclined to get products this way. To me products sold through tv advertisement sound shady.... The ads always sound too good to be true, have fake models and presenters and don't show anything that seems legit or real. I'd rather get products I can see myself at the store or get online after seeing several reviews about it.

8. morgoodie

morgoodieActive Member

Threads:
    I have never really wanted to buy a product that is only offered on TV ads. They make everything seem so special and unique that it is really unbelievable to me. Now, they have stores that you can get the products that they advertise on TV. Most of the products seem to be a lower quality and some seem a little ridiculous to have. I just do not trust the advertising so I would not buy these products.

9. remnant

remnantActive Member

Threads:
    Television adds target those people who are usually glued to their television screens. I rarely take TV ads for what they say because the real worth of the product being advertised is lost in the graphics and animations and background sound effects. They have the advantage of reaching the masses but this is buffered by the fact that these commercials are strategically placed in the middle of popular programs hence risk being viewed as an interruption.

10. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    When we bought a car wax that was on the home shopping tv which has no other way to purchase but via phone call to the number being shown on tv, that was the last time. The car wax did not work as per the direction and it actually did not make the car shine but ruined the gloss of the car's finish. We had to wash it off with shampoo and applied another wax to get back the gloss.

How do you complain when the store is an online shop like that tv shopping? No thank you, I'd rather buy products which I can see and that I can talk to the sales attendant.

11. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I heard from a friend who is also friends with someone who works on shows like these and according to him they do rely a lot on people just feeling too lazy to return items when they are unsatisfied, but of curse this is all just hearsay at this point and this was a long time ago anyway. I think there is a lesson to be learned from that though which is to be persistent when your money is involved. I think I would be okay with buying things on tv if I didn't think I could get them anywhere else just as long as I know I will be willing to put in the effort to return it if i did eventually find myself unsatisfied wi the product.

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I agree with the above post that it seems a little on the slick side when the only way to get the product is by purchasing it on tv. These types of programs always make me think something is wrong with the product and something I do not want to waste my money own.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am surrounded by malls from where I live, so you can bet that I won't be buying stuff from tv at all. Plus, I want to be assured of the quality of the product, so I would prefer to have it tested right in font of me.

14. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    On the contrary, no. Advertisements are no different from media hype and if you've been a consumer for quite some time now - meaning you buy your own stuff and pay attention to their quality - then you won't be fooled any longer. I have tried a number of underrated or completely unknown brands (in other words, brands that have not been advertised) and they were far more effective and made me much happier than costly, overrated and extensively advertised items.

15. steph84

steph84Active Member

Threads:
    I sometimes like to shop the "As Seen on TV" section at my local Big Lots. I just like to see what I can find there. I got the Magic Screen there for $5 and it does work like magic when it comes to keeping bugs out of my home. Granted it is just some mesh with magnets, but it works!

16. maxen57

maxen57Active Member

Threads:
    One of the few successful purchases we were able to make through a home shopping channel is the rotating mop that you don't need to squeeze by hand. Just attach it to the rotating basket and start pumping away the excess water without getting your hands wet. A few months after buying it, copies began being sold even at the malls. Suffice to say, we didn't need to worry about false purchases anymore.

17. gmckee1985

gmckee1985Active Member

Threads:
    I'm not a huge fan of Just for TV products. It's not that I'm completely against them, I can just honestly say that I've never bought anything that's just on tv. Nothing has interested me. They always seem overpriced and of cheap quality. If I ever saw anything I'm interested in I wouldn't have any reservations whatsoever about buying it.

18. rz3300

rz3300Active Member

Threads:
    For some reason they have an effect on me, and I know I am not alone but I do believe that I am more of a sucker than the average person, although I have actually never ordered anything, but I have wanted to many many times. I think it is just the way on TV it looks so easy and amazing and it gets you excited, and it certainly works too because those products seem to do pretty well.