Are You Picky About Food Quality?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by dashboardc33 • Apr 27, 2015.

1. dashboardc33

dashboardc33Active Member

Threads:
    Are you picky about food quality? Food is so expensive as it is and to make it worse, the good food with the better ingredients is usually even more expensive. We were at the store yesterday and were debating between a full gallon of ice cream for $4.99 or a smaller container for $4.50. A gallon of ice cream would have been nice, but we ended up choosing the smaller container because it contained less ingredients that weren't good for you and it was heartier ice cream. How do you decide whether it is better to save or eat tastier food?

2. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    For me it's really easy to answer that question. I will always buy the highest quality food that I can afford. I choose to rather not buy a certain product instead of buying a bad quality product. My main source for clean, organic food is the farmer's market, as the people there don't just sell fresh produce from their farms, but also many natural, home made delights.

3. Hedonologist

HedonologistActive Member

Threads:
    Very much so, quite a few times I've had economy food and found myself sick. Even in the horse meat scandal they showed that economy food was the most contaminated out of all. I can certainly tell the difference, even with staples such as bread.

4. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    The quality does matter. I would rather have a smaller amount of good food than a large quantity of food that I didn't enjoy. It also depends on the food in question, in your example I would have gone for the smaller one as better quality ice cream tastes nicer and it's not a food you eat every day.

My landlady bought a large tub of ice cream for me as it was cheaper but it tasted so awful, I couldn't eat it. It would have been more economical to buy a small tub of Ben and Jerry's I could eat.

5. sazzydan

sazzydanMember

Threads:
    I am never as bothered about price than I am quality, especially with meat products. I have tried cheap meat and it is awful, not to mention it is usually the leftovers not decent cuts.

Although home brand and bargain shops sell things cheaply, all you are doing is dropping the quality of your food, which in my opinion is not acceptable.

6. DreekLass

DreekLassWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love how we are always being told that this is bad for us, and that that is bad for us, and that we should all eat healthier. But then you go to the supermarket, and all of the 'healthy' foods are ridiculously priced, whilst the crappy quality foods are nice and cheap. So what message is that sending? It's a complete and utter contradiction, and reveals where the priorities really lie.

7. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I am not really picky about food quality. I eat any kind of food as long as I like its taste. I even love to eat street foods. It's not only because it's cheap, but I also like the simplicity of going outside and exploring different foods/delicacies.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'll go for quality when I know there's a huge difference between the cheaper products and those which are somewhat pricey. However when I do my shopping in farmers markets I always buy anything that's cheaper. For example, since lots of tomatoes are grown here, when I buy tomatoes, though the nice-looking ones are believed to be of a higher quality, I prefer buying the cheaper tomatoes which might not look so great because once the skin is peeled off . . .

High quality sometimes IMHO is a marketing "catchphrase" that's supposed to make you spend more money on a product that isn't all that better than one which isn't labeled "high quality."

9. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even during these lean times, when it comes to what goes in my mouth, I always go for better quality over cheaper brands. Where possible, I try to marry quality and price, not easy but sometimes i do win. I am not for twisting when it comes to the quality of the food that I buy, but I'm happy to compromise when it comes to say cleaning materials.

10. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    No not really. I like middle ground. If it's McDonald's level quality I'm obviously not going to like the taste. I've grown to detest some tv dinners. I tried a Boston Market one because it was a dish that I liked and it was so awful. There just needs to be a good trade off between quality convenience and cost.

It's really stupid. We're encouraged to eat healthy yet it doesn't usually taste good and it costs more. Plus even some healthy foods are bad for certain conditions. I often wonder if I can eat fruit because it too has acid in it.

11. Aladar

AladarWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Somehow. I don't really care too much about the food quality, in that I don't mind store/super market bought meat, eggs, veggies, etc, but if I get extremely cheap ingredients, then yeah, I do notice it. So, I guess I'm reasonably picky, if you can call it that. :)

12. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm not picky about food quality, but I have a certain limit that I won't go beyond.
    For example, I don,t buy the most expensive hot dogs, but I don't buy the cheapest either.
    I stay right in the middle with Oscar Mayer hot dogs. Because once you get down to the 99 cent hot dogs, they don't taste like hot dogs anymore, they taste like vinegar and gristle.

There are a few cases where the cheapest item is the best. For example Pringles and Stax are about $1.50 and the entire can is filled with chips. Other potato chip brands sell bags of air.

I'm not super picky about quality, but I like to get good value for money.
    I don't think the cheapest tuna is a good value because it's basically a can of dirty water.

13. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    I've very picky about food quality. I can no longer buy bananas at the local grocery store because they have a fruit fly problem at that store. They started dunking the tops of the bananas in some sort of chemical and they wrap it in a purple material to try and control the fruit fly problem but I want none of that so I leave it on the shelf.

If it doesn't grow in nature it doesn't belong in your fridge, I try to remember that when shopping for food. You don't see pizza pockets or pop tarts growing in nature so you probably don't want the added chemicals man used to make them. Preserving food to give it a longer shelf life is profitable so they have little problem adding those chemicals into the food even though they aren't good for you. If you buy fresh from a local farmers market you get foods picked very recently that didn't get coated in preservative, now that's the best way to eat if you don't grow your own - direct from the farm.

14. DreekLass

Threads:
    I have also become very picky about the food that I put into my body. It started when I began to suspect that I had Irritable Bowel Syndrome, and when I began to work out on a more frequent basis. I don't trust the food industry as it is though, so I think that it is wise to do even more research when you have a health problem. Let thy food be thy medicine, and thy medicine be thy food. More relevant words were never spoken.

15. xTinx

xTinxWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Food quality was never an issue to me when I was younger. As long as the food has not expired, is cooked well and suits my palate, I would eat it. However, I've become more conscious of my eating habits in the last two years and am now committed to buying quality, less harmful foods. News about food poisoning and incurable diseases have brought me back to my senses. I prefer fresh fruits vegetables and meals straight out of the oven or pan these days. I now check the ingredients and nutritional value of the food items I buy. If there's too much sodium or sugar or if the product contains MSG or aspartame, I immediately ditch it.

16. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am very picky about food quality even though I don't have a big food budget. I'm do have a preference for non-GMO food. I also buy organic fruit and veggies, but only ones of the FDA dirty dozen list.

I tried a vegan diet, but then started adding some meat back to my diet. I have reduced the amount of meat in my diet again not only because of the cost of meat. I have basically lost my desire for it which works out great for my budget.

17. ChanellG

ChanellGActive Member

Threads:
    I am definitely picky about food quality! I don't care if it costs $1 or $100 it's the principle of the thing. If I spend my money, I want to get my money's worth. If the food tastes bad or is less than satisfying I will be less than happy.

18. DreekLass

Threads:
    Tv dinners can turn out to be some of the worst dinners that you will ever eat. Ugh. I'm shuddering just thinking about some of my TV dinner experiences. A lot of the time, I find myself wondering how or why other human beings would pass such trash to be sold to other human beings, with taste buds.

I like the taste of healthy foods. I did not think that I would, when I was in the way of eating really unhealthily, because I was accustomed to that one type of taste. But healthy foods can taste really really good if you know how to combine, or just cook it, as far as seasoning goes and whatnot. The cost is my real issue.

That's why it is important to do one's research. Just because something is genreally healthy, it does not mean that everyone's body is going to agree wit ht

19. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I like some of them mostly only the Marie Callender's because I like Italian food. I also don't cook so it's easy for me.
    I've tried healthy foods before and many of them are either gross or I get really tired of them. I'm not a junk eater 24/7 don't get me wrong (like I say I don't like a lot of snack foods like potato chips and boy do I hate hot dogs). I'm just limited because even with a lot of the ones I do like there is probably a not so good ingredient in it...like bananas. I don't really like eating bananas but I'll drink a banana smoothie which has lactose in it. I've made a point to take the probiotic pills after most meals every day but I can't get myself to tolerate the taste. I end up having to down it with a crap ton of Sprite. I do think it helps though. I don't know if it's a placebo but I feel better when I take that pill so I feel a little better to eat what I want.

20. DreekLass

Threads:
    Yeah, it is really all about being conscious of the combinations. So many people just assume that because they are getting in a food that has been said to be healthy, that they are eating healthily. In reality, the way that you eat foods, and what you eat certain foods with, will determine how well it aids our systems.

I stopped drinking all soda about three or four months ago. I have noticed an overall boost in my health. I just drink water, or very lightly flavored water now. I didn't think that I'd ever be able to get to such a point. But here I am. Probiotics are proven to work lol. They should work to aid your digestive system :)