Are You Spending Your Food Savings In Gas Driving To Different Grocery Stores?

Discussion in Food & Drink started by True2marie • Sep 15, 2015.

1. True2marie

True2marieActive Member

Threads:
    Are you spending your food savings in gas driving to different grocery stores?

This makes me crazy. I have a friend who brags about how much she saves on food. Yet, my pal probably spends this money in gas because drives to various grocers in opposing cities. As a result, it's a wash. To me, the smart thing to do is focus on one in the same locale and bring your coupons and rewards cards to reduce the bill. Also, if you can walk over to this place (like me), you really win.

2. LeopardJones

LeopardJonesActive Member

Threads:
    I try to keep that to a minimum. The two or three stores where I spend the most on groceries are relatively near each other, so I do have an optimal route if I need to stop at more than one. Doesn’t waste tooooo much gas. I’m not one who would go all the way to another town just to save a dollar or two on groceries, though. I’d definitely be burning the savings (and then some) on gas if I did that. Only time I ever do that is if I happen to be staying in the town in question.

3. Corzhens

CorzhensWell-Known Member

Threads:
    This may sound funny but I walk my way to the market. Fortunately, there is a small market and with a grocery beside it right in the gate of our village. In the morning, I would walk in going there but in coming back home, I would take a pedicab because I already have a bag of groceries that is heavy to carry. So it's a double benefit for me - saving on gas and burning my fats.

4. TheViper

TheViperActive Member

Threads:
    Well, going to different stores to save more money can be smart. Especially, if it means the money you saved can easily go to gas. Sometimes that money would just go the stores and so to have extra over for gas is pretty good. I think that any money saved is good money that can go elsewhere.

5. DrRipley

DrRipleyExpert

Threads:
    I agree. I think most people just don't put that into consideration and it makes for bad decisions. I always consider this whenever I think I'm getting savings, sort of how you would consider shipping costs when looking at discounted products online that may be priced lower than competitors. It's important to look at all factors so decisions can be more informed as anything less will just result in false outcomes and the savings you get will mostly just be n illusion.

6. Theo

TheoWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I do see the logic in gas money, but that's why people bulk buy in places that are a distance. My family used to take a day trip to New Jersey and stock up shopping, so it can be worth it depending on how you do it. If you stock up once or twice a month then it's worth it.

It does appear those in the US are more obsessed with gas money than we are in the UK, which is ironic because many Americans rely on their cars when they could walk to places, thus they waste gas that way.

7. gata montes

gata montesActive Member

Threads:
    I too would agree and think that sometimes people get so caught up in trying to make savings that it clouds their judgement - particularly as driving from store to store in order to try and make savings wouldn't be very cost effective - especially as those savings are likely to be so small that they would barely cover the cost of the extra fuel.

However if you were on foot or usually drove past the stores that you wanted to visit - on the way to your regular grocery store - then I think it would probably be worthwhile - as you could pick up a few discounts without going out of your way - just by stopping off either on your way to or on the return journey from your regular store.

8. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    A good deal is only good if once you are done shopping, you'll have saved some money. If you drive around town hunting for deals and spend more on gas than what you'll save then it would be much better to spend a little more money at the nearest store and save some gas.

Good thing for me though all the cheapest stores are less than a mile away from where I live and I surely walk over so I always save some money.

9. Ke Gordon

Ke GordonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Q
    Well with the price of gas being so low now, it is not much of a problem as it used to be. You make a good point however. I think unless you have something else to do in the area, driving a long distance to save some money on grocery items is a waste. It so happens the cheapest grocery store in this vicinity is about a half an hour from here, so when I go there, I try to make sure to always do something else in the vicinity so it is not just a trip for groceries.

10. purplepen88

purplepen88Active Member

Threads:
    All of my grocery stores are all really close to each other and to where I work so I don't feel like I'm spending money on gas driving around. I do feel like I could save time if I more stores would price match. Where I live only Walmart will price match what other stores advertise. I do go to different stores depending on what's on sale. It's fun to see what each store has to offer.

11. ohiotom76

ohiotom76Well-Known Member

Threads:
    It's certainly something to take into consideration if you're driving substantial distances from one store to another, but I don't see the problem with shopping at multiple stores to save money if they are all within a couple blocks of each other. Of course another option is to simply plan your shopping around other errands you're running. So in other words, if you know you have to go to the post office, which is near that other grocery store on the other side of town that has a few items on sale, swing by and grab them along the way.

I can save quite a lot at certain stores like Dollar Tree on various items which would cost me 2x - 3x more at the regular grocery stores. However I still need to go to the grocery stores for the rest of the stuff I need. If we're talking just 50 cents off something, I wouldn't bother going to another store, but if it's going to save me like $10, $15, $20 or more, then I absolutely will.

12. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I'm lucky enough to live within walking distance of three major supermarkets so I make a list then check the prices online. I'll then determine what I need to buy in each store and plan my walking route accordingly.

13. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    From where I live, markets, malls, and convenience stores abound, so I don't have to go far if I would want to buy something. I can simply just walk to them and they usually don't take any more than 3 to 15 mins. You do save a lot on gas or fare if you live in a commercial area.