Are you up to camping?

Discussion in Travel started by Gelsemium • Mar 29, 2014.

1. Gelsemium

GelsemiumWell-Known Member

Threads:
    We all know that camping is far more cheaper than to stay at a hotel for example. At the same time we don't have the same level of convenience. So where do you stay, do you save and go camping or you pay for the convenience of a hotel?

2. mistymi

mistymiActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been camping. It would probably be too uncomfortable and inconvenient for me. I'm used to being indoors and being comforted by technology. Hotels are boring but I would feel safer at one.

3. Lostvalleyguy

LostvalleyguyActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy camping so I would take a trip to specifically go camping. If I were traveling a great distance and flying, I wouldn't likely bring my camping gear and I would stay in a hotel. One thing we did as a family when I was young was to go on a camping trip for a couple of weeks, but hit a motel for a night or two mid trip. This gave everyone a chance to shower, hit a laundromat, and dry things out as needed. It also was a day to find more ice for the cooler and restock on food. Now that camping facilities often have more of the creature comforts, a night in a motel is probably less needed.

4. Adryan

AdryanMember

Threads:
    Sadly i never had an experience in camping but will surely do it in near future it does not matter to me if it is cheaper but experience is what i want through camping!!:)

5. angelicagapit

angelicagapitActive Member

Threads:
    I love the idea of camping. I don't think I've actually been camping before. I've never set up a tent and made a fire, but I'm all for those kind of things. My friends and I really want to set up a camping trip, but we never really find the time to and we also want to find the perfect location to do so.

I care about convenience, however, I don't need my accommodation to be fancy. I can survive in a camp setting if I have all the basic necessities I need.

I hope I can actually find the time to go camping in the future.

6. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    I was once into camping but lately am not.I guess it is because of the too much work I have to do on a daily basis. I think I need to get a vacation in order to get my camping memories back. I was a big fan but I guess things change when you get old.

7. Chia

ChiaMember

Threads:
    Camping is awesome if you have the time to do it usually in the summer. Nothing beats finding a nice spot in nature and staying there for a few days. I wish my parents would have taken me camping more as a kid, I plan on camping a lot with my kids some day. It's a really great experience I think everyone should at least try once.

8. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I used to camp, I went with my bicycle and with the tent as well and those were memorable experiences, but now I think I got sick of it, maybe I got older and I need another level of comfort. Also, camping with kids it's demanding I imagine...

9. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    It depends on the place you want to camp. There are some places where you wouldn't camp because bears would maul you to death. In a situation where I have to choose between safety and saving money, I'll choose safety over saving some dough.

However in places where it's safe to camp, their hotels will never touch my money.

10. Gelsemium

Threads:
    Come on, I would surely not camp on a bear place!!! It's an interesting perspective though, the safety one, I've always considered comfort and saving as my main concerns, I've never considered the safety part. We need to be somewhat prepared to camp though or else we can't even put the tent up.

11. sarz

sarzActive Member

Threads:
    I am not into camping at all. I am not adverse to it but if it was a choice between camping and the comfort of a hotel. I would definitely choose a hotel. I am not one with nature at all. I want to relax on holiday and be comfortable. I don't want to be worrying about pitching a tent, making fires, getting up in the middle of the night scared to go toilet and queuing for the luke warm communal showers in the morning.

12. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I love camping and often go to National Parks whenever time and money allows me to. I used to have a van and a bed and camp kitchen in the back of it. It's good to have a house on wheels. I sometimes stay at camping grounds but only if they are not too crowded. It's nice to have a hot shower and the extra safety.

13. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I used to pick my vacation destination using a book called "Camper script" that had all the campings in the country and I went with my bike. I even get that script for other countries, but the most memorable was actually an accident, I turned to the wrong direction with my bike and finally discovered a magic place and stayed there... :)

14. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    I love camping! In the summer when it's warm outdoor there's nothing like staying near a fire at night with the clear sky above you. Obviously it's a lot cheaper then hotels since a tent is all you need if you're willing to give up comfort. Even so, with the proper equipment you can live quite comfortable for the few days spent camping. Just be sure not to get eaten by a bear, hospitals are expensive :p

15. Mayvin

MayvinActive Member

Threads:
    I've never been camping either and I don't get what the appeal is really lol. Wondering if you're going to wake up to a bear knawing on your leg is not my idea of good times. I'm not one of these prissy people either that has to stay in the swankinest hotels either but I need some of the modern conveniences.

16. stacyje

stacyjeActive Member

Threads:
    Ive never experienced camping before but I think since Im so use to a hotel , I would probably be unconfortable to the fact of being out there.

17. Miaka_M

Miaka_MActive Member

Threads:
    Like some here, I too have never been camping, I'm too much of a city girl who fears all bugs and I like the convenience of having a proper bathroom available when I need it. Whenever I go out with my family and friends, we normally rent a place or stay at a family member's house or friend's house (my family is pretty scattered around the world). My boyfriend really enjoys camping so I may have to try it one day, we shall see how it goes then.

18. Gelsemium

Threads:
    LOL, camping is an OK experience Mayvin, you ought to try it at least once. First at all you're in touch with nature, something we humans seem to have forgotten what it is, in a way your batteries are recharged when you camp and you look at things from a different perspective.

Also, is cheaper than a hotel. :D

19. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    I would go camping given the opportunity and resources. Beach camping would be fun and more economical. In tropical countries some secluded beaches have resort facilities but guests can also opt to pitch their tents for a small fee, which is much lesser than the cost of a room reservation in the resort. This would be a good compromise for those who wish to experience a camping vacation but could not let go of the comforts of the resort amenities.

20. Gelsemium

Threads:
    I would like to go camping just once more with my kids, I think that it would be a great experience to them. And you're right, if it's by the beach it should be awesome, especially if it's in those campings in a walking distance to the beach. Not sure how we would manage to sleep the four in a tent though.