arghhhhh I need help!!!

Discussion in Off Topic Discussion & General Questions started by MyOCDisMild • Jul 9, 2012.

1. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    So....completely spur of the moment kind of deal, but my fiancee/boyfriend of 8-9 years has made it very clear that he wants to get married. Soon.
    So I've been literally throwing a wedding together at the last moment. We've planned to jump the broom twice before, but this time we've actually got
    the marriage license and everything, so there's no turning back. I'm not having second thoughts at all. I'm excited and most of the time, though entirely
    stressed out, I'm uber-excited. The date's been sate for a couple of weeks now, and it's supposed to be July 14th....this Saturday.

We're getting married at a really popular park in town, I'm having various family members make some tasty dishes and ordering from a few places to round
    things out amongst the guests. I'm having a small ceremony, most of our family and friends will attend the reception. The one roadblock I keep hitting; I
    can't find an EFFING DRESS!!! I've looked online, perused a couple of stores, I mean, I know it's last minute, and I didn't and still don't want some silly,
    frilly number. I'm a country gal at heart who'd rather watch cartoons and struts around in just about anything so long as it's clean and comfortable, but I
    CANNOT FIND a decent, simple white dress to save my life!! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Any stores that would have a simple dress, be it
    an actual store or online, though I'm trying to stay away from online because it's less than a week away and I'm terrified it wont come in time.

I don't need some extravagant, flowing number, something Vera Wang designed or anything like that, just something pretty and complimentary to the wearer,
    and I'm all thought out. Any advice or gentle nudges or even violent shoves in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. :eek:

2. hunysukle

hunysukleActive Member

Threads:
    Congratulations on your engagement! Have you tried Ross, Marshalls or TJ Maxx? You can get designer wear at really low prices! They have long dresses that you might like.

3. Sandra Piddock

Sandra PiddockExpert

Threads:
    Do you have a retail outlet near you? You can often buy really cheap designer dresses there. They may not be up to the minute fashion, but you will get a quality piece from there - something that really looks special. Another option is to make your own dress, or ask a talented friend or relative to do it for you. There's still time to do that, and at least you'd know nobody else had one like it.

4. Lena51

Lena51Active Member

Threads:
    I would say make your own dress as well and that way no one will have that dress but you. So try to round up a friend or relative to do one your way and things will turn out just right. Or have some friends or relatives scout out the outlet malls and see what they can find and you go and check them out after they have a few picked out for you. Don't worry, everything will be just find if you want to get married on your special day. Congrats. and Good Luck to you. God Bless!

5. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    Congratulations!!! How exciting!! I am in the UK so I can't be of much help - but if you guys have a TK Maxx as someone suggested they have a lovely selection. Try putting out an SOS request among friends and family to ask their friends etc if anyone has a dress you can borrow. You can also try eBay - many sellers provide next day delivery and you can try a search by sellers who are closest to you, making a collection possible if you find one - do this with CraigsList too, although I recommend asking for pictures. Thrift stores and other second-hand outlets may have something you may like. At this late stage your hands are a little tied with choice but have faith.

Best of luck for your big day and health, wealth and happiness to you both. :) (PLEASE post a pic, I LOVE weddings!! :) )

6. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I would like to say congratulations as well! Wow 9 years, you are a trooper gurl! I would recommend looking at some consignment shops. It can't hurt. But time definitely isn't on your side. You need to start delegating the wedding and reception duties to someone litaurally shop til you drop at this point. I wish you the best, and let us know what happens!

7. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Congatulations! I can understand your panic in not having a dress. You mentioned that you are a country girl so I am wondering if you have tried looking at western clothing stores for one yet. In addition to the stores already mentioned, you could try Sears or JC Penny's. You can also try asking friends or realatives to borrow one or get their help in finding one. Best of luck and let us know how it turns out for you.

8. MyOCDisMild

MyOCDisMildMember

Threads:
    Thanks guys!! I'm going to TJ Maxx today and got smart; I'm taking a friend who does alterations, so if anything can be found that I marginally like that she might be able to make some alterations to to make it my own, I figured it's better than showing up in sweats, which I'm seriously starting to consider.

9. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    Congratulations!!! I had a similar situation where I bought my dress 3 days before my ceremony!! I found mine at Ross but I can definitely tell you you can try Amazon. I was skeptical about getting a dress online because I got married at 6 months pregnant and I wanted to try the dress on first and make sure it fit before purchasing it but I will tell you that if you are steady in size this is definitely easy to go by on Amazon and they have thousands of dresses! David's Bridal also has a great clearance section online where you can get dresses for under $200.

10. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    If you post on a few forums or a member of groups online etc, why not consider asking other members who live near you if they can loan you a wedding dress. I know I would have no problems with loaning you my wedding dress but I am in the UK, so you will have been married a month before you got it. :) Although, given I am now divorced it is probably for the best! lol

11. Parker

ParkerWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Congratulations of your upcoming nuptials. Have you heard of David's Bridals? They have discount bride and bridesmaid dresses. The website is here:

12. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Have you thought about a second hand store. You would be surprised what you can find in consignment store or thrift stores. Wedding dresses are a good price and can be old-refashioned to your desire.

13. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I would recommend JC Pennys or Kohls. They often have some nice dresses for cheap and they also have a selection of simple dresses. These are the 2 I can think of since I don't usually go dress shopping, but when I needed a dress they came through for me :) Congrats and I wish you luck finding your dress!

14. Livvi

LivviActive Member

Threads:
    How are things going, MyOCDisMild? Are you any closer to finding something?

15. sarahlou773

sarahlou773Member

Threads:
    I'm too late now to offer any advise but i hope you had a fantastic day! Did you find a dress? And very many congratulations to you both! :)