At Home Or Salon Hair Color

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by ReadWriteLearnLove • Feb 26, 2015.

1. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    Is there really a big difference, besides price, between coloring your hair at home versus having it done at the salon?

Today I bought a box of Herbal Essence hair color for $7. I love the results and I was able to do it at home and multitask while coloring my hair. The way I figure, even if I have to color my hair once a month using the $7 I will still come out way ahead versus having it done even twice a year at a salon.

2. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer having it done in the salon, mainly because they are familiar with the better brands to use. Also, I tried doing it once at home and it just really made my bathroom so messy with all the splatter and sprinkle. I tried saving a few bucks by doing it at home but it's not worth the stress of having to clean up after

3. blueeyes

blueeyesActive Member

Threads:
    There is a huge difference in price between dying my own hair or getting it done at a salon. I can buy a decent dye for about 6 bucks yet it would cost over 40 dollars to get it done at the hairdresser. Those are prices I can't afford. I still go for haircuts at the salon but have been dying my own hair for years now.

4. ReadWriteLearnLove

ReadWriteLearnLoveActive Member

Threads:
    I enjoy getting my hair colored at the salon, it's a little bit of pampering for me, but the price difference is just amazing. I will still get my hair cut there but I think I'll keep doing the color at home. I am really pleased with the results.

5. pafjlh

pafjlhActive Member

Threads:
    Well, truth be told we shouldn't dye our hair more then every three months so you wouldn't be spending the seven dollars per month. Actually I also dye my hair at home, more for economic purposes. It is cheaper to do it at home. Yes, it can be more messier and its up to you to make sure that you have covered the hair well. I guess this is why some prefer to have it done at a beauty salon, it does insure that odds are the color will be done professinoally. But some of us can't afford that cost.

6. Zyni

ZyniWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Salon coloring services are cost-prohibitive for me. I just can't justify spending that kind of money when dying my hair is quite do-able, and it's much less expensive to do it yourself at home. I don't enjoy doing it, but all I have to do is think about how much money I'm saving. It's literally a fraction of the cost to do it yourself.

Sometimes, I think I'll do it to pamper myself like ReadWrite said, but I know I'll end up not enjoying that much when I think of the other things I could have used that money for.

7. sidney

sidneyWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the only difference of having your hair dyed at the salon would be the convenience of the whole thing, because you're just sitting there in an air-conditioned room and the hairstylist does everything for you. But I agree with what everyone has said, and it really is just too expensive to have it done at the salon. You're better off dyeing your hair at home.

8. missbishi

missbishiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    There's little difference between store-bought colors and the stuff used at the salon. You're just paying to have someone else apply it for you. The only time I'd ever have a color at the salon is if was having a drastic color change. Otherwise, I just get the occasional trim and dye at home.

9. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I honestly always do it at home. I have paid for it at the salon before, and sure the result is better. However unless you have that extra money to spare it doesn't justify for me paying so much more.

10. Winnie

WinnieActive Member

Threads:
    Yes, there is always going to be a difference in doing something yourself, and having someone else do it. I haven't colored my hair in years, but anytime that I have done it in the past, I have done it myself. I really don't like people messing with my hair all that much, unless I really trust them.

Glad your color came out good, I think it is great to color your own hair because then you can control things more than when you leave it to someone else to do, even if that someone else is a professional. They might do a better job, but then again, maybe not. And doing it yourself is more cost effective.

11. Kitty Reeves

Kitty ReevesActive Member

Threads:
    I have only ever colored my hair at home, because my long standing hairdresser while being great at cutting hair is really bad at dyes and bleach. So, I don't trust her with it at all, haha. I mean, she mostly works with clients anywhere from age 40 to 80, and I think I'm her youngest repeat client. (I'm 22, fyi.)

But I mostly want to do "alternive" hair colors, so dying at home works better any ways. I bought a pot of Manic Panic hair dye for only 9 dollars! Where a normal dye job costs roughly 40 dollars or so where I live. I've been helping people dye their hair for years, so I'm pretty competent in hair and dying it by now.

But yeah, doing your hair at home will ALWAYS be way cheaper then going to a salon. Also, you can control what dye is used on your hair.

12. dyanmarie25

dyanmarie25Active Member

Threads:
    I'm really not an expert when it comes to hair coloring, so I just leave this business to the hairstylists at the salon. Well, if you think you could do it by yourself, then go for it, since it's cheaper. As for me, I'm not really good at that so I prefer just going to the parlor.

13. Nikole

NikoleMember

Threads:
    I do my hair at home 99% of the time. That said, I prefer to have it done at a salon for the convenience factor. It is hard to bleach and dye the back of my head :) However, since I have been bleaching/dying my own hair for 14+ years, I have gotten good at it and know my way around products pretty well. I've even thought about going to beauty school. I don't use box dyes anymore though, I tend to go to my local beauty supply and pick something out, and I have a whole slew of developers in my bathroom.

14. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I'd really rather go for hair salon color, primarily because I can't do it myself, and if ever I have one who'd be doing it for me, I simply think that she's going to do it her own way, and I couldn't simply demand. Of course, when something is being done to my hair, it's important that it accedes with my taste, which I can only relay through my demands.

15. Lushlala

LushlalaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I don't know if other people agree, but I can usually tell a home job from a salon job, and I honestly prefer the latter. Maybe not all, but some "home dyed hair jobs" tend to have a weird almost "washed out" look to them. I've also heard that when you do it at home, it doesn't always last as long. So I have never dyed my own hair, I prefer to have it done at the salon.

The same thing goes for the hair relaxer (for those who don't know, the chemical treatment of Afro hair to make it more manageable). I know a lot of people prefer to to do it at home to save money. I maintain it always turns out better in the salon. It's just my take, anyway.

16. philipgust

philipgustMember

Threads:
    At home is cheaper so i'm going to go with that