At the beach, sleeping in a tent or renting a room?

Discussion in Travel started by prettycolors • May 6, 2014.

1. prettycolors

prettycolorsActive Member

Threads:
    This question is assuming you don't have a beach near you and you have to travel there :D

When I go to the beach I'm doing it with a large group of friends and we travel there by car. Some choose to sleep in the tent while others prefer the comfort of a rented room. Me, I like sleeping in a tent and seeing the sea each morning as I wake up. I have enough beds in my home!

What about you? Tent or room?

2. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Sleeping at a tent at the beach might be really nice option, and normally I would gladly sleep in a tent in the beach. However, the last time I went to the beach and slept in a tent I was almost eaten alive by bugs and mosquitoes. Those are very common where I live, but I did not anticipate as many of them at the beach! So next time I go to the beach I am looking for a good hotel with nets on the windows to make sure I get out in one piece!

3. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I always travel alone and never lug along lot's of luggage. For that reason therefore, I'd prefer sleeping in a cheap hotel regardless of how far it is from the beach because it's safer and more convenient.

4. deathbyprayer

deathbyprayerActive Member

Threads:
    Oh no, sleeping in a tent is a good idea if you're living in a fancy dream world, but if you're living in the real world, just get a decent room unless you want to be nicked away by mosquitoes and God knows what else. I'd rather sleep in a cheap hotel than in the ground.

5. Strykstar

StrykstarActive Member

Threads:
    If there is the option, I will pick to rent the room as well, I only sleep in a tent when I absolutely can't avoid it.
    Tents just get really damp when you're sleeping inside when it's hot and that gets really uncomfortable or me. Can't really sleep outside either because there are usually lots of mosquitoes.

6. jewel777

jewel777Active Member

Threads:
    It would depend on how many nights we're talking about here. If it was only for one night, I would rough it. I can sleep in a bed any time. I'm a nature kind of a girl and love the idea of waking up to the ocean, it's a renewing feeling. However as some of you have mentioned, the bugs and whatnot can bet pretty bad and I wouldn't want to keep getting bitten up. So that nice warm bed might sound more and more appealing after a few nights in a tent.

7. Athenagdlyt

AthenagdlytActive Member

Threads:
    The decision greatly depends on the season and the type of beach. Some beaches are more tent friendly, with lots of fine sand and minimal waves. For those types of beaches, I would gladly sleep in a tent, especially if the camp is for overnight only. When I'm with my family, we always opt to rent a hut near the beach, not a fancy hotel. We want to experience the beach for the most part of the day, not the air conditioned rooms.
    During off-peak season, when the resort rates are at an all-time low, we sometimes go to the beach. During these times, the weather can be unpredictable and there's a higher chance of rain. For times like these, the resort booking is always the option.

8. mikelouis

mikelouisActive Member

Threads:
    My option would be the room always but I think a tent can come in as a cheaper option for those people looking to save and also enjoy the sunrise at the beach. But personally I love the comfort of having my own room and also privacy. But using a tent once in a while is not a bad idea at all.

9. whnuien

whnuienActive Member

Threads:
    I prefer to rent a room for the sake of comfort while sleeping to be honest. While sleeping in the tent can be really fun, the sea flies and mosquitoes can ruin the moment. I once got bitten when I was in the beach and it left me scratching for the whole month that it had almost drove me crazy.

10. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I do both! If I am spending 3 nights, I'll rent a room for two days and then stay in a tent for the first night. Or even if I already have my room, sometimes I still opt to sleep in a tent with my friends. It really feels different and fun sleeping in a tent. It's like I am just playing. But if I am really tired and exhausted, I prefer to sleep in a room, much more if I still have a lot of activities set on the next day.

11. wander_n_wonder

wander_n_wonderActive Member

Threads:
    I still prefer having a room where I can sleep comfortably. If I want to see the beach early in the morning, I will just schedule to go out early. I don't think I need to be very near the beach at night to enjoy it. Also, I am scared of the idea of suddenly having a tsunami while I sleep in the tent. I feel more secure if I'm actually inside a building. Also, I prefer having a proper bathroom. Overall, I prefer every trip that I take to be a really comfortable. one.

12. bmatth1045

bmatth1045New Member

Threads:
    when I went to beleze I could sleep in a tent for ten dollars or I could rent a room for ten dollars. due to the saferty of my stuff I always opted for a room

13. Jessi

Jessi<a href="http://www.quirkycookery.com">QuirkyCooke

Threads:
    If the whole point of the trip is to spend the time at the beach, then I'd be one of the campers in a tent!

Is it going to be super comfortable? Nah, probably not, but is it going to be an experience? Uh, yeah! I'd want to wake up with all my other buddies with the sun rising over the water and immediately start cooking on the sand, etc. I can sleep in a bed back at home later in the week.

14. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I am chicken and would not feel safe sleeping on the beach. It does not matter how many people are with me, I would not be able to sleep in the open, I am a city chick no camping for me.

15. Sweetkymom

SweetkymomActive Member

Threads:
    I'm so not a tent sleeping individual so a nice room it is. It'd take at least 10 hours one way to get to the nearest beach so when the driving is done, a little relaxation in comfort is a must. I don't exactly have to have a very high cost immaculate room, just something that's clean and has a bed.

I wouldn't mind napping in a tent on the beach. That would be a great thing but then again, who has time and takes naps? Lol

16. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    If you are at the beach then i will suggest to you that sleep at the tent because you are coming to enjoy and i think its best way to enjoy your whole time is spend at the beach instead of rent room..

17. daren

darenMember

Threads:
    I love to sleep in tent while visiting beach, but it is not comfortable, mosquitoes and bugs are there, so just for one night i can stay in tent but not more than that. So, I prefer hotel which is near to beach.

18. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Prettycolors! Sleeping in the tent is really an amazing option. I would like to do that in fact once I have been doing it with my friends. It was a lovely and memorable experience. I cannot forget that in my whole life. We have celebrated a party and after it we slept in tents. I woke up early in the morning and the first looks of my surroundings had been just incredible. The cool breeze was blowing and the beach was sparkling. It was a pleasure atmosphere. I want to do this again in my future beach trip.