AT&T vs Verizon Wireless

Discussion in Landline & Mobile Phone Networks started by dconklin • May 10, 2012.

1. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I was a Verizon Wireless customer for 10 years. I had a very expensive monthly bill and always paid my bill throughout the years and was never shut off. However, the one thing I noticed throughout the years is that if I had a problem with a defective device, it was "never their problem." It seems that they never really had any kind of customer loyalty and I just switched over to AT&T. I have found them to be a bit cheaper and offer more for their customers.

What do you think, Verizon or AT&T?

2. Mrs. Pirz

Mrs. PirzExpert

Threads:
    I used to have at&t back when they were still Cingular Wireless and I wasn't happy with their Customer Service. I swtiched to verizon and found it to be much more expensice and problematic. I got off both their plans and once Cingular sold out to AT&T I came back to them. Much better now with AT&T. Im stll having issues with my bill but I must say it is a lot easier to deal with their customer service and my issues whether they be technical or billing are always attended to promptly

3. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Verizon is a nightmare to deal with aren't they Mrs Pirz? You would think after being labeled a VIP with them for 10 years that they would have some cares about my satisfaction. I have had so many problems with phones and everything and they just never really could do anything about it. But look out if you had a problem on a payment! I don't know from experience, but from what I understand they are quite quick to shut service off to your phone if you are 10 days late. I even tried contacting corporate and of course no response.

4. Farrah

FarrahActive Member

Threads:
    I have had Verizon, since they switched over from Primeco. So I would say since around 1997. When it was Primeco, the customer service was great. They replaced anything without question. I remember I broke my phone charger, pulling on it the wrong way. I went in to buy a new one and to my surprise they just gave me new one. Over the years I tried Cingular, now ATT and had so many dropped calls and interference I quickly switched back to Verizon. I have been behind on my bill before, almost 60 days and they worked out a payment plan with me. If my phone has problems I do have to get "ugly" on the phone and sometimes just go to the store, but I usually get my way in the end.

5. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Wow, I could never get Verizon to budge when it came to equipment! That and today as I was activating my AT&T phones, my Verizon phone dropped the call 3 times. I was sitting still lol! I have just got fed up with them over the years of paying a ridiculous amount of money a month and was considered a VIP, but yet they never wanted to deal with any phone problems! I did have one time of being a little more then 30 days late and at first they worked with me, but then they gave me a hard time because after paying them $400, they refused to let me pay the remainder 2 weeks later. The woman argued with me, gave me a hard time and well it was a very unpleasant adventure. The remainder I owed was only 10 days late and she was giving me a hard time telling me that my service would be shut off if I didn't pay by post dated check. I have tried contacting supervisors and even corporate and nobody ever called me back. After 10 years of dealing with a mess, I finally dropped them!

I am glad to hear that you are having a great time with them, I have noticed they have gone downhill drastically as time has gone by. But that is my personal opinion!

Edit: No I did not switch over the billing, that was previously. It was many things built up over the years and all the broken phones that have become useless.

6. brittanytruskosky

brittanytruskoskyMember

Threads:
    I think they are both expensive companies. Right now I just use a Tracfone because I have my labtop for all my computer needs. I get great service on my Tracfone and pay as I go. I always got clear service with AT&T though.

7. TheMightyEddy

TheMightyEddyMember

Threads:
    I've always found AT&T plans cheaper if you get the family plans for as for now, my family is using the AT&T family bundle. Btw, we're all using smartphones too.

8. kla0316@gmail.com

Threads:
    I have loved Verizon's customer service in regards to devices issues. I've swapped out a phone for FREE because I did not like it - and this was past the 30 days they give you to do a return. Verizon is always willing to work with you if you are unhappy with your device.

9. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    I wish that was the case with me. I used to give them heck on the phone because I got so aggravated. They made me swap a phone for another "rebuilt" phone several times. After switching the phone out 3 times, they told me there was nothing they could do because it had to be swapped 3 times within so many days.

I deactivated my Verizon phones over a month ago now. I am getting 6 different phone calls (different phone numbers) a day linked back to them :( I then got a letter in the mail stating that they suspended my service due to lack of payment and demanded $500 to turn them back on!! What are they thinking?? They didn't suspend them, AT&T cancelled my phone service with Verizon when I had my numbers ported over to AT&T. This company is ridiculous and I am glad I got away from them!

10. Moneysaver93

Moneysaver93Member

Threads:
    Although I love that Verizon covers more areas, I must say I prefer AT&T because they do over all have the least expensive prices and the better plans. That is what is holding Verizon back. They need to be more concerned about what the customer wants in a plan.

11. BigBigFan

BigBigFanMember

Threads:
    The price points and services are very similar in my area but the game changer is the support system, Verizon just doesn't measure up. If I have to talk to another cocky, young and occasionally rude sales person posing as tech support I'll give up my phone. I've read other complaints about Verizon staff but when I had to deal with one that acted as if I should be thankful for being allowed to talk to them and that they were rather too busy to give me full attention I couldn't believe it.

To be fair I have no doubt that the majority of Verizon staff WILL give you 100% attention in a most professional way but there are, unfortunately, bad apples in the bunch. Specifics: I needed a replacement charger cord in Michigan, the clerk essentially told me I was imagining things.

12. dorothymoreno

dorothymorenoActive Member

Threads:
    I have been using verizon wireless for over two years and I have had no problem with it, I really like it. As for A T& T I also like them too, I think Verizon, AT&T and boost mobile are the best ones that I know of and used, I would go with either one of these.

13. Jennifernew

JennifernewNew Member

Threads:
    I was a FORMER Verizon customer for two reasons:

1)Verizon did NOT adequately provide good service in my geographic area (suburbs of Atlanta). Verizon acknowledged they had poor service in my area and told me to either a) BUY a booster ($199) to improve their service to my home, or b) to cancel my policy with no penalties because they knew they had no plans to improve the existing service in my area.

2) I was fed up with the rudeness and indifference exhibited by Verizon's customer service.

I am now with AT&T, have no problems with connectivity and their customer service is FAR BETTER than Verizon.

14. ACSAPA

ACSAPAWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I hate AT&T with the white hot intensity of a thousand suns. They deducted an automated payment from my checking account and it bounced because my student loan payment went through at the same time.
    I said "Oh, well that's my fault for not paying attention. I'll just pay what I owe At&T immediately on a debit card."
    I thought that was that and I didn't owe any more money. But AT&T retried the other payment that bounced.
    So now, they have been paid twice and I owe my bank money.

They have the immediate money that I paid instantly on my debit card, and they took the money in my account when they retried the other bounced payment.

I should be glad I guess that I'm ahead on my next month's bill because they have a double payment now. I'm trying to look at it as a "glass half full" thing.

The information on their website is hard to navigate. If there had been clear information that they retry ACH bank payments, I wouldn't have bothered to pull out my debit card and make an instant payment. I would've just waited for them to retry the original payment. Their website has useless videos that explain your bill but doesn't provide basic information when you try to look it up. And their customer service is now closed on Saturdays. D-bags!

15. dconklin

dconklinActive Member

Threads:
    Update to this post, I also no longer have AT&T due to billing errors and problems. After switching over AT&T did absolutely nothing about their mess up when I was told they automatically cancelled my Verizon phones. I tried to make a payment plan with AT&T because after their mess up I now owed Verizon money too and didn't want to leave on bad terms with a debt. I was told by AT&T that it was my fault and that I was to call Verizon myself (this was said after I mentioned their mess up.) But in the beginning I was told by AT&T that I was not to call Verizon as they didn't want them to try to talk me into staying. 5 people at AT&T insisted that they take care of it for me and that I am not at all required to call Verizon. Yeah well when I listened to the 5 people and the mess happened, AT&T told me it was not their problem and that it was my fault for not calling myself.

I am done with any contract provider and switched to prepaid! Just wanted to update to let everybody know that I no longer think highly of AT&T.

16. dswashin

dswashinNew Member

Threads:
    I had AT&T when it was Cingular wireless and I hated it. The reception in my house was horrible, I had dropped calls all the time so I switched to Alltel and never had any problems with their customer service or their phone service until Alltel was bought by Verizon. Now my bill is very expensive, the phones are over priced, when you call customer service with a problem you only get results when you threaten to leave them. My Verizon service is horrible now; in the beginning when they first took over Alltel it was great but now I get voicemails when my phone never rung and I miss text messages. I will say as far as payment arrangements Verizon does a pretty good job of letting you pay when you can as long as you call and make an arrangement they do work with you for payments.

17. pandandesign

pandandesignActive Member

Threads:
    I agree. When AT&T used to be Cingular Wireless, it was quite expensive and the service was worst. Now, AT&T has improved over the last two years because it does improve quite a lot - both cell phone service and customer service. In fact, AT&T is way cheaper than Verizon, which offers the same cell phone service and signal strength, in my own opinion.

18. Trex78

Trex78Member

Threads:
    My family just switched off verison to I forget who.

But we left Verison because the customer service was very poor, and the cellphone bills were EXPENSIVE. I mean, prohibitively expensive. Expensive enough that we have seriously discussed getting a landline again. When we asked why they were charging us so much, they said it was related to the "data usage."

It could just be that all cellphone companies have this attitude towards their customers. I'll let you know after a few months with this whoever-the-hell-we-have-now.

19. troutski

troutskiWell-Known Member

Threads:
    If you don't have unlimited data, then you're going to pay more for data usage. Overages cost $15 per Gigabyte or something like that. If you're using 4G data, then you 100% do not have unlimited data. Unlimited is grandfathered in for users from years ago, and you lose it by upgrading phones or changing service, unless you pay for the phone in full upfront.

20. kbroder9

kbroder9Member

Threads:
    I've always had AT&T and while they're not perfect, do a pretty good job with their services and customer service. I think my bill is reasonable at around $100 a month for an iPhone 5s with data, voice, and unlimited text. Every time I've gone in the store they've helped me quickly and address the issue at hand. I think their online platform is also really easy to change services or add on different features. I don't think I've ever been billed incorrectly and if something is wrong with the phone, very few questions asked before they fix it. Overall happy with AT&T.