Auto Rental Insurance

Discussion in Travel Insurance started by Pat • Jan 29, 2013.

1. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    I plan to rent a car soon, I do not have car insurance because I do not have a car, when you rent a vehicle you can have your personal insurance cover the rental, which can be a problem when you do not have insurance.

Purchasing insurance from the dealer you are renting from on a daily basis is very expensive, which has delayed my rental. Today I decided to see if there was an alternative and what a surprise I received, Google displayed several companies that will suite my needs.

The dealer will charge as much as $35 daily for their insurance, the coverage can be purchased as needed for as little as $7 a day. plI am sharing this information for all of the people that may need to rent a vehicle and not have insurance.

2. dissn_it

dissn_itActive Member

Threads:
    Interesting thread you posted. I didn't know that you could buy rental car insurance online from other companies for a lot less money than the car rental facility itself. I do know that having an auto policy on your personal car in most cases it also does cover a rental vehicle. The problem would be if you totaled the rental, the facility will charge you for every day that car is out of commission. This is why you want to get the rental insurance, even if you do have a policy that covers rentals. By getting it directly at the facility, they won't ding you with the daily charge that the car is out of service. You may want to make sure that the coverage you found online will do the exact same thing or else it might work like any other regular auto policy and not cover those daily charges.

3. Traveller

TravellerMember

Threads:
    Accidents take different forms, and in addition to fender benders, sometimes it is those minor damages such as scratches and dents that may end up costing even more. Instead of risking a higher premium or submitting a claim that doesn't even meet deductible, one can help protecting oneself by enrolling in Premium Car Rental Insurance Protection.

4. JoshPosh

JoshPoshBanned

Threads:
    Good post. I had no idea you could purchase other insurance plans online. I wonder if anyone out there has ran into any problems with these online insurance plans?

5. erik120

erik120Active Member

Threads:
    Accidents take different forms, and in addition to fender benders, sometimes it is those minor damages such as scratches and dents that may end up costing you even more.
    There may occasionally be instances in which your personal car insurance company could still be notified, such as if you caused an accident that resulted in changes to your driving history report and so on.

6. Ray1

Ray1Well-Known Member

Threads:
    I think the responsibility for damages goes to car owner/rental agency in that case or in case of an accident third party insurance covers are applicable. However, it must be country specific so I would not say anything for sure. However, I was thinking in terms that what happens in case I am driving a borrowed car and something goes wrong!