Automotive oil change

Discussion in Auto & Moto started by isabbbela • Oct 8, 2014.

1. isabbbela

isabbbelaWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Even though I have had my car for 7 years, surprisingly I never took it to change the oil. Either my mom or dad used to do it for me. Which is weird because I was the one with my car most of the time!

Anyway, now I have to do it, and I have no idea where it’s cheaper, which oil is the best quality. That is so weird to me, because I should have known about this for the last 7 years I've been driving and had my car. So I asked some friends (guy friends) to help me out.
    I’m happy I actually managed to get an oil change with points from my credit card and won’t even need to pay for it. I’m still not sure if it’s the best, but I’m hoping it will be fine. I’m hoping I’ll be able to do this tomorrow, as the oil change is way overdo! I was told you can damage the engine, so I’m a bit scared to way long.

How often do you change the oil on your car?

2. MrsWilson2012

MrsWilson2012Member

Threads:
    I change mine every 3 months or every 30,000 miles, which ever comes first.

3. pennylane

pennylaneActive Member

Threads:
    I get mine changed with a little trick: I signed up for a secret shopper type agency. They have little jobs here and there that I do in my spare time. The best one is for oil changes. They send me to a specific location to ask for a specific type of oil change. Once I submit it, everything is reimbursed and I get an extra payment for my time. Free oil change! :) All I have to do is fill out a few forms on my experience. It beats paying $30-40 each time. If you have the time to spare, look into it.

4. ExpertAdvice

ExpertAdviceActive Member

Threads:
    I do the same thing as @MrsWilson2012, but I stick to three-four months, not miles. If I was to change my oil based upon mileage, I would change it when I have used it for atleast 5000km. The good thing about this part of car maintenance is that you can do it yourself, and so, save yourself some money from going to the mechanic, I also want to add that I understand that oil based coolant is better than water based coolant, because it helps in preventing rust...just to add. :)