Avoid airport food?

Discussion in Travel started by Livvy • Jul 30, 2014.

1. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    So we all know that when you're travelling you get hungry, and you get thirsty. Unfortunately the airport companies know this too, and will charge you more than other shops for the same products. It's not always a huge leap, but it's significant enough if you're buying a lot of food, or if you're a frequent enough traveler like I am. So, how do you avoid paying out the nose for airport food? Any tips you'd be willing to share?

2. Denis Hard

Denis HardWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Why not go it the easy way? If you flight won't be canceled or delayed then you probably know how long it will take for you to get where you are going. So why not pack some food rather than buy unhealthy, expensive food at the airport?

3. Nickchick

NickchickWell-Known Member

Threads:
    You can't take it past security clearance though but I suppose if you watch your time you can eat it outside of security and then go in when you're ready.

4. wulfman

wulfmanActive Member

Threads:
    I mean unless you are going around the world or have hyperglycemia, you can always eat before you leave for the airport to save money. And of course the plane will serve you accordingly, based on how long your flight is. Sometimes waiting to board you get hungry and that is where they get you. But occupy your mind with something while waiting . And then gorge on whatever the flight attendants hand out :)

5. Pat

PatWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Now that you can not take food past security, I try to eat a big meal before it is time to go past security. I wait until we have landed or just eat fruit to avoid the unhealthy foods that usually make me sick of the stomach.

6. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    Now I have this image of you standing juuuuust outside of the security gate, scoffing down on all this food, while the guards give you dirty looks XD

Most of the flights I'm on don't actually serve you any food. Is that a thing that still happens in America or something? Free food?

The flights I go on make you still pay out the nose for the food. A can of coke, which might be somewhere from 40 pence to 80 pence, depending on the store, will be a £1.50 on the flights here.

7. 003

003Well-Known Member

Threads:
    We hand carry foods as many as we can and those foods that would really make us feel full like burgers or pasta. We avoid bringing foods for snacks. We bring foods for meals. We don't bring junk foods. We only buy water while on board.

8. Livvy

LivvyActive Member

Threads:
    How on earth do you hand carry full on burgers and pasta meals? Especially the pasta, since you usually have it in a bowl, and pasta usually involves some kind of sauce and at least a fork. That seems like more effort than it's worth, no?

9. kasi

kasiActive Member

Threads:
    Your opinion is right and I have one question that what do you do if you feel much hungry at the airport and you know the airport food is not good?

10. Dora M

Dora MWell-Known Member

Threads:
    That is something I have also been struggling with. The worst is that I usually get quite dehydrated, and bottles of water have cost me a small fortune in airports. I would dearly love to take some snacks and drinks along but, unfortunately, it is not allowed.
    I have noticed that there is a big difference in the service that the various airlines provide. Just a few weeks ago, I flew the first time with Lufthansa, and have been very impressed with the food and general attention that I received on my 12 hour flight. I had pre-ordered vegetarian meals, and was pleased to find kamut, spelt, tofu, fresh vegetables and fruit in my food boxes, accompanied by a selection of juices, water and soy milk. The staff was tirelessly walking up and down the corridors, offering refreshing drinks, snacks, and warm towels. All in all, it was really satisfying flight from which I emerged well fed and rested.

11. Ashlee

AshleeActive Member

Threads:
    Livvy! I have no tips about it. It is not only the setup of the airport but you have to pay more than other shops on Railway stations and bus stands. If you want to avoid it so I think you should take meal before leaving the airport or your home.