Back pain - Remedies?

Discussion in Health & Beauty started by alc89 • Nov 3, 2012.

1. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I have back pains. I am pretty young (not even 25 years old yet) and I am having such bad back problems. It really is annoying. I am fairly active and in good health. I am a member of the gym, but usually only exercising using the elliptical or the treadmill; I've never really had an opportunity to get involved in pilates or yoga. I think my biggest issue is that I sit at work from 9 to 5:30PM every single weekday. And my mattress is not the best. However, I don't have the finances to buy a new mattress or boxspring now.

What do you do to relieve your back pain? I don't want to rely on medicine. Do you know any good stretches? Or should I take baths? Any good "sleeping positions" that I should try out to counter how awful my mattress may be? Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gift3d

Gift3dMember

Threads:
    alc I would put money it is your bed and not that you sit, I Have a garbage bed Lol, broken box spring and broken spring mattress. Bought a bunch of those mattress toppers like the foam ones and it was awesome for the first bit, then my back pain got worse and I was getting pain in my neck and headaches waking up every morning. Took all that off now I'm just sleeping on the mattress again with a piece of plywood between the mattress and box spring for support and I feel way better.

Even when I slept on the floor I felt better. Maybe flip your mattress or get a topper and see how it works for a bit. Might need to invest in a new bed, I know I do Lol

Hope this helped

3. maddie

maddieActive Member

Threads:
    I agree with gift3d . if you are just 25 and already have back problems you should put your money on a good mattress or buy yourself a firm ply board or ply wood cut to the size of your bed and lie on it. Stop wearing High heels and pumps if you are. Wear Platforms or any sensible shoes. I wear sneakers most of the time when I have to walk. I have had a terrible back after two pregnancies and C section.
    If you sit form 9-5 you need to invest in a good chair as well. Posture is important. Correct your posture. There are wonderful youtube videos which can help you correct your posture.

4. Blossom

BlossomActive Member

Threads:
    Do some research on the Water Cure. There are testimonies of people who started drinking more water an adding sea salt to their diet and got amazing results. You would probably think that something that simple couldn't possibly help with back pain, but it's worth a try. I would also like to suggest seeing a doctor or chiropractor to find out what's causing the pain.

5. vpresson

vpressonWell-Known Member

Threads:
    Try sleeping with a pillow under your back that's what i do and it helps my mattress isn't too good either i'm waiting on income tax season to get a new one so i put a pillow under my back or i avoid sleeping on my back altogether also try warm bathes and getting some icy hot or heat pads that usually helps me with mine.

6. trishgl

trishglActive Member

Threads:
    A recent study at the University of Washington resulted in yoga being labeled as possibly the best exercise for lower back pain. Accordingly it eases back pain faster than other conventional exercises included in the study. The reason why is because it promotes not just stretching and strength but deep breathing and relaxation as well. My husband has tried it and his condition improved noticeably. He just performs several simple stretching exercises everyday for around 10 minutes. It beats the muscle relaxant the doctors gave him since the meds made him really groggy and did not completely eliminate the pain either.

7. olorien

olorienActive Member

Threads:
    There is an exercise program I use called t-tapp. It teaches you to have good posture and doing it consistently may help relieve back pain. For immediate relief,I have heard great things about a product called salonpas. It comes in several forms, including patches and sprays and it seems to be a miracle product for some people. For my own aches and pains, a drink called ionic magnesium fizz helps as well as topically applied lavender.

8. Gift3d

Gift3dMember

Threads:
    Shoes also, I used to get bad knee and back pain when I was working as a produce manager. I was on the floor all day (concrete) wearing DC shoes for like 8 months Lol, had to go through 3 pairs in that time. ended up buying a pair of nikes and a pair of shape ups (yes shape ups) for men Lol. they actually were a really good 70$ investment.

Also I agree with maddie too, a piece of plywood under your mattress actually works very well, thats what im doing now too.

9. marvelz

marvelzActive Member

Threads:
    Some good suggestions here. Get yourself a mattress a.s.a.p. Always be mindful of your sitting position too, don't slouch. Keep your head up and shoulders back. Sit like that often enough and it will become as easy as slouching is. Also, check online and on Youtube(Ignore the crap quality video's) for back exercises , and back strengthening techniques.

10. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    I don't typically sleep on my back; I start by sleeping on my side, but apparently, I move around a lot. I'm not sure how successful a pillow will be, though. I'm waiting to get a new mattress; that will probably help me 100% but until then, I'll look into icy hot or heat pads. I sometimes use ice and it feels great, but the heat will probably help more.

11. Kaybee517

Kaybee517Active Member

Threads:
    I would try to take a few times during the day to get up and walk around the office or outside to stretch your legs and get your blood moving. Also, you want to be sure to practice good posture and may consider using office/desk equipment that is ergonomically designed to keep the body in proper alignment. (ie: back rest, foot rest, etc) . Lastly if non of these work, perhaps try topical back patches for back pain, Icy Hot or massage therapy to loosen up those tightened muscles in your back.

12. alc89

alc89Active Member

Threads:
    This seems like a silly question, but does anyone have a good site on good posture? I don't know if I'll be able to change my chair or seat at work, though having a really awesome ergonomically designed chair would be awesome. Is something like a foot rest really helpful? Would something like an empty copy paper box work? I've heard of people rolling up towels to put on their seat, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Sometimes, I try to sit up straight if I know that I'm slouching, but who knows if I'm really helping the situation! I've read about people doing certain stretches at their desk, but I'm not sure how to even start without looking crazy. I work at the front desk, so I'm the first person that people see when they come in; there's no way I can do something that will look unprofessional.

On another note, I do try to walk around the office a lot - but the majority of the day is sitting in front of my desk. If I'm lucky, I'll take a walk outside, but the weather's getting cold now so I'm not sure if I even want to do that.

With shoes, unfortunately, I cannot wear sneakers to work. I've "snuck" in wearing cowboy boots under my slacks. Most of the time, I wear skirts to work. But, I'm pretty good about shoes - if I decide to wear heels, I'll bring them with me (and wear flats during my commutes) and change into them at work. I wear flats and oxfords, since I can get away with wearing those and still look professional with the rest of my outfit. Thanks for the tip!

13. bargain

bargainNew Member

Threads:
    I am very comfort with my foam mattress.This was helpful for me to overcome my backache as my GP advised me.Its very important to select the one from the available option in the market.

#13Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  14. Rocky

RockyMember

Threads:
    Learning some simple yoga poses and strengthening your core muscles will likely help relieve your pain. Poses like Downward dog and planks will help gently stretch your muscles and strengthen your abs and back muscles. Check out some yoga videos on youtube!
    Most injuries and pain are cause by muscles imbalances. If your pain continues you might want to see a chiropractor that does muscle testing to gently re-align your back. I have chronic back pain and I have found that yoga helps me immensely!